Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey you

I'm gonna put in a hefty critique sometime this weekend...
    Consider this a placeholder
    As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

update!

sorry guys...lack of access to scanner and was busy for the last couple of days...but I'm back!

bunny: i CAN'T WAIT

Here are some sketches that i've done while i've been away...

THIS IS TOTALLY SHITTY ......tried to do some non ref gestures at a rapid rate...as u can see.......that didn't go too well....wanted to screw this page up and throw it in the bin. Then i decided, what the heck...a sketchbook needs both good and bad work in it for me to improve

ALSO, looking back on this piece has made me realise one very important weakness of mine...i tend to place arms in very awkward and un-natural positions...thats definately something i need to work on more...
    ☂paperX's SB☂ Updated: 15/MAY [Life drawing and doodles SKETCHDUMP]

this one contain a quick portrait of my cousin...i was only minutes into sketching her when we were called to go to dinner...not wanting to find the pose again i tried to rush it out....and managed to make her look like an old woman .....and the rest of the page was filled with doodles

some studies and other stuff....note the again very awkward hand positioning in bottom right corner...

some studies of the luuuuuuuvly female body ....and some hands :/......ignore the randomly tangle of randomness down the bottom...i decided to quickly develop fingers from drawing 3 circles as guides for the joints...thats what the mess of a blob is about

some more studies of the female body (it just seems so much more fun to draw ......then again im a guy....) bottom right is me doodling again...

Thanks
    great studies, pal!
    keep working hard!

Thanks
    asoir: thanks man! you too! hope we all can improve together in this great inspirational forum

Went out for the day but still managed to get some art down when i got back:

Actually this one's from yesterday...just a quick doodle while i waited for my hair to dry to go to bed.......just drew whateva came to mind...note: the bottom right hand getting sliced thing isn't really emo....i was just trying to imagine the hand in 3D which for some reason reminded me of a cake (probably needed my midnight snack) which lead to the knife for some reason.......yeah i know, looks more like im trying to slit my wrists to me too :/

Here are some studies from Mentler's truely inspirational sketchbook which can be found Here
    practicing his method of building up the human body from an egg and a box...i hope he doesn't mind me posting these...

Some more studies of Mentler

My crappy studies simply does not do his skills justice...so if you haven't seen his sketchbook yet....do so NOW

Thanks
    well.......didn't do much today...mucked around then tried to colour my 3CH entry, procrastinated too much and ended up rushing at the end. so alotta areas never got fixed up

TOPIC: A wounded fakir tears off a shaman on an enormous rock..
    My idea is that in an alternative universe... the 'Empire' utilises steam powered technology to hunt down all men and women with mystical powers in fear of a rebellion led by the "Mystics".

...basically x-men with a fantasy twist mixed with a dose of good o' steam punk.

If you like it give me a vote when you drop by 3CH i guess

Thanks
    your studies are wicked
    i like the study at post #8 with the man holding the woman's hands
    and the outcome in color is pretty nifty too

keep working and you'll get into the CA atelier!
    cheers

Thanks
    Miro: thanks man! ill keep trying

bunny: im still waiting for your awsome critique which will totally kick my ass

again i missed an update....(not like anyone cares much ) but anyhow..here are some new work (which isn't a lot )

this one's a sketch i did of my webcam for assignment #1 in Seedling's thread , gonna develope a concept based on it later:

Here's 2 faces...guess which one wasn't a refed off as a study? (hint the one thats not as shitty ) btw yeah i know i messed up on her left eye

Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 593 Posts
    Looking good sir.
    I already see an improvement on this page.
    Keep going. And don't hesitate on exeprimenting with other mediums too =)

Thanks
    DEAR PAPERX ....Fantastic Art journey is on and on and.......... keep it continue.... dont apply the breaks at all.... keep mantaining same constant speed .... otherwise....you know ( watch speed)....hehehehehahahahaha

Emeys

my Little SB:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...62#post1126762

Thanks
    W00t!

Sorry for the wait... usually when I say, "I will post at ___" it usually means sometime within the next week or so. anyway....

I really REALLY like your figure studies, and Mentler is a great source to be studying from. Your gestures are really really nice. Now it's time to step up a notch and try out some fully-rendered figures. I think it'll help a lot with your sense of tone... I know I need to do the same, cause my sense of tone and especially my sense of LIGHTING is practically non-existant

I like your latest portraits. The guy's beard is looks a bit half-assed thoug I understand you probably didn't intend to spent much on 'em.... Try not to outline lips. Draw a line where the two lips meet - I find that's usually one of the darkest points on the face - and softly smudge/sketch in the upper and lower lip, letting subtle tone variances determine the shape etc.

On your latest CGs: One word: MUDDY. Your images aren't near finalised but they already look muddy and overworked. I suggest that in places like the sky or in buildings, you should go in with a really big brush and the block in two or three colours, and refine the detail from there. Don't pain the whole thing with the same brush size ... I'm not too CG-savvy, so I can't offer you much more than that.

Other than that... keep working on those heads, especially heads at really awkward angles. It's a bitch but it'll pay off in the end.

Keep updating man.

-N
    As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    DanielC: wow! thank you so much for the comment... your sketchbook is a true inspiration to me

emeys: indeed...lets improve together! btw...i was bored so i left a big comment on ur sketchbook hope u dont mind

bunny: Yay Nomi!!! (u dont mind me calling u that do u? ) i haven't commented on ur sketchbook for a while i think.....but i love your art, so keep updating!!
    anyways...thanks so much on the critiques... i know theres alot of areas that i need to work on, but i promise ill get to it

so.....here's some proof that im doing something after slacking off for 2 days again......

a doodle of a valkyrie (i think my gestures studies are kinda paying off ... her left arm might be too long tho, and her right arm looks a bit weird to me ) and some hogarth studies...i think they look waaay off here and there... ill try and pay more attention next time

and here's the beginning of a master copy of Lord Frederick Leighton's Biondina for the Open Figure Drawing Workshop

PS: i think i use smilies entirely TOO MUCH when im posting...is that a bad thing?
    Last edited by paperX; December 18th, 2006 at 07:33 AM.

Thanks
    no comment today...just crappy art

Hogarth study

crappy figure sketch

crappy doodles (and a cloud that doesn't look like a cloud)

try and get back on track soon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 593 Posts
    Good studies.
    But when doing figures, don't do them as a whole, but more as a composition of differents shapes.
    Make bumps and interesting lines.
    Of course it's a whole, but make the different parts captivating and play with their weight.
    Are they refed ?

Thanks
    DanielC: yeah they are ref'd......poorly
    ...thanks alot for the advice tho, i guess i really wasn't trying hard enough when i was doing them...i was going for a quick sketch but i also wanted to put in some detail, i think i need more experience inorder to make lines and shading decisively. gonna try one next time slowly rendering it

Thanks
    Ahh, Hogarth...

I think you should try something with and without a reference. Say, draw a figure from a reference, and then alter it in some way (add wings or whatever - use a few references for the wings, of course) Or draw a figure from multiple references. It's really good to do studies from references, but after a while you're just pushing the pencil across the apge and not LEARNING anything. You can draw an amazing study of whatever, but that study really won't be worth anything until you apply the knowlegde you've learned from that study. Get what I'm sayin'?

Your Biondina looks promising... keep it up

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast