Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    what happened to all the studies? the last one has a good pose but doesn't look quite right from the hips down.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee W For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    great gouache and oil work - try some figurative work in those mediums.
    Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    Hey paperx, really nice progress and lovely studies. As for your char designs, some very interesting ideas and all. I think it's also important to make sure design elements have consistency and they are there for a reason. Well mostly.. hehe. looking very good, don't be afraid to sketch ideas and develop on them further.. (it's kinda like a reminder to myself..hhaha)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bumskee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 766 Posts
    dammit those still life paintings are a killer dude. Cant crit on those at all, I suck with still life, they are boring and so hard , so I appreciate the effort even more .ANd your figures are starting to build beautifully. I envy those skills man.

Thanks
    Wow,Wow~
    Nice works here!
    Thanks for your visit to my SB
    You've done so many interesting trials and experiments!
    I love them ,especially the body figures
    Keep up~
    my digital art sketchbook:SeanAni's new digital sketchbook
    my watercolor sketchbook:Sean's future forest world
    Thanks for your C&Cs~

Thanks
    Hahaha, Allan, it's cruel for anybody to be compared to Bumskee, that's just not a very nice thing to do. You just don't compare yourself to icons.

I like the new sketches, design-wise, they're very strong. Watch out that you don't focus too much on the design because the figure seems to be flattening out because of it. Like there isn't real depth of form there.
    Otherwise it looks good, elves are my favorite. Keep it up, bro.

Wow. 8 Pages? Your sketchbook is quite substantial now!
    Last edited by sketcheth; September 20th, 2007 at 12:47 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sketcheth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i really really like that oil still life. i personally think you seem to do better with traditional stuff. i bet if you force yourself to do that regularly, you'll be a mad mad painter shifu in no time. one year, daily paints for paperX - you gotta admit it would be suweet? keep it rocking man....
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Hey paperX,

your head studies are amazing.
    I will check by more often

Best,

Chris

Thanks
    OldNoobie: sorry about that crappy mistake lol...yeah i need way more studies
    Listing: thanks for the comment man! definitely gonna try some oil portraits/figures someday...cant wait really
    bumskee: omg bumskee visited my sb...i think im gonna faint..someone hold me thank you very much for the crit man...i could learn so much from you
    bhanu: i know what u mean man, i cant do a graphite still life sketch at all ...i find it pretty boring too...but with colour at least its more interesting in the sense that i can try and get my colour theory stuff sorted out more clearly so i can move on to painting people and enviros in oil mwhaha
    SeanAni: thanks for the comment! keep working hard man..i really enjoy looking at ur sb
    sketcheth: dude its so hard to catch u online these days...hope u're improving well with art man
    tensai: thank you so much for the comment dude ...i'm sorta torn between traditional and digital mediums these days...but i suppose im still sort of a digital guy at heart...although i do like the idea of daily paints
    Chris Noeth: lol..i dunno about the word "amazing" -__- but i'll try harder u keep rocking too man!

So...after one month of acting camera boy for my grandparents trip to visiting loads of family members im finally back in New Zealand! gonna be uber busy these days but hey, if i dont start posting something now my emails gonna bust with all the update notices from CA haha...can't slack off forever

here's a doodle i've been working on...i dunno really what to make of it...something is holding me back from taking it a step further to a more completed stage...also i think my thoughts drifted on to a different track when i was working on the lower body so the design aspects of the head and the body seems sorta awkward
    Last edited by paperX; October 16th, 2007 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks
    welcome back did you have fun? Now get busy posting updates

I hate going on a trip with my parents or grandparents when I was younger I would end up being the driver, carrier, camera boy, gopher, etc. and I don't get to do anything I want to either.

Thanks
    OldNoobie: haha yeah i didn't have any free time at all

A doodle for today...i really need to do more anatomy studies....

Thanks
    I went to an expo over the weekend where we had a meeting for lots of New Zealanders artists who go to CA....it was really awesome to see CA'ers face to face

PS: Kronos if u're reading this, I just want you to know I totally wanna steal your skills and run away with them, u crazy pro guy you

anyways here's an update of an attempt at environment speed painting from ref, i think i went over board with the textures brushes a bit....and it took me ages so it wasn't much of a "speed" painting

Thanks

Thanks
    the environment came out really nice

Thanks
    Nice update, man, it's nice to see you making a comeback on here. Let's see.

Looking back to your insectoid lady, I can see what you mean about the awkwardness between the upper and lower body portions, I think the connection between the two doesn't make sense, it's like her torso is connected a little too far back and it feels more natural to be toward the front to me? Maybe. I really like the design though, and I'm a sucker for those insect-like legs, really nice stuff.

I like this guy, simple and sketchy but it says what it needs too, he does look a little stiff though. It's really hard to do a static pose and not make it look stiff, though, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Just so you know I'm incredibly jealous of you being able to go to any sort of convention, I never get any of those at all. I'd have to drive like 4-6 hours to Chicago to go to one, and that's just not going to happen with my car and the price of gas.
    I don't think you went overboard with the textures at all, it really gives it a realistic look. While some parts it might be a little vague (like where I assume it must be bushes next to the path?) it still looks excellent. Maybe with those bushes you should add more depth of tone or more of their branches, just to pull them out from the background. The colors are stunning. Super vibrant, that makes this work excellent. Keep it up! I'm slowly returning to digital painting after a long absence, I think it's learning traditional oils that's making it more approachable. Sometimes it's good to take a break from digital.
    Thanks for the updates, they make me want to work harder.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sketcheth For This Useful Post:

Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast