Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,789 Posts
    ...ummmm...I really don't remember much of 19 through 22 (I was...SLEEPING A LOT! Okay? ...shit...), but that sounds just about right to me...

Anybody wanna play Pong?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Im not sure remeber then either....it was the 70's.... and who wants to remember them? but goddess knows the fashions were WAYYYYYY>>>worse!
    (see my halloween pic)

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Woof! Woof! Hi there, Pretty Lady...can I buy you a boilermaker with whipped cream and a cherry on top...a new car...a new house...southern New york State...?

OW!

...bartender, can you get my teeth off the chandelier, please?

8)

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Well it really does look like you're basis for comparison is detail which doesn't make a lot of sense for animation. I mean that image of naruto you've got up there is washed out because it was setting up a mood, and it isn't very detailed with the shading but the animation for that episode was mind blowing. I think I agree with pretty much everything JenZee said.

2nd Layer of Hell, where the lustful blow to and fro
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGuy
    Well it really does look like you're basis for comparison is detail which doesn't make a lot of sense for animation. I mean that image of naruto you've got up there is washed out because it was setting up a mood, and it isn't very detailed with the shading but the animation for that episode was mind blowing. I think I agree with pretty much everything JenZee said.
    I have to disagree with alot of the naruto animation, most of the fight scenes were taken shot for shot from Bebop and old bruce lee movies. It's a bit like cheating!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    Paul, I did a little experiment. I thought to myself, "self, I bet his date for the Decline of Anime corresponds exactly with his early twenties." Then I checked your profile. Bingo!
    I hate to break it to you, but you grew up. Now you're that guy who complains about kids these days, with their food pills and flying cars... Music/movies/comics/fashion/WHATEVER will never be as good as they were when you were between the ages of, say, ten and twenty-two. Just ask Ilaekae.

LOL elwell... you're good, I too am in my early 20's and have started feeling like an old fart when i say certain things about current culture.

I'm a lot more inclined to believe older people now on just about anything.

Thanks
    I like the new stuff alot better. I always thought the old stuff was too sloppy with colors. The color theory today is much better, and so are the designs, and the animation quality. I think it's too bad you can't enjoy it, because there's plenty of great stuff to take out of anime.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiko
    I have to disagree with alot of the naruto animation, most of the fight scenes were taken shot for shot from Bebop and old bruce lee movies. It's a bit like cheating!

I'm not talking about the show as a whole, I was talking about that episode and like 4 others done by the same team. From what I understand, most of the angles chosen were directly from the manga.

Thanks
    I feel the same way about most console video games. My favorite console ever was Super NES, and damn Nintendo for ending it. Once they got to the N64, the games didn't look any nicer, they just switched to polygons. Honestly, the first polygon games on Super NES, like Starfox were good enough. But more importantly, the sidescrolling Super NES games like Castlevania 4, Super Contra, and Super Mario 4 are some of the all time greatest games, and few if any newer games have surpassed them.

Now granted some recent games are really wonderful to play and watch, and work well with the new graphics machines, just like some recent animations look really good - see Mayazaki. But, the reason why they're so good is the artists and programmers put lots of time and care into them.

The general trend I think you're referring to, which I agree with is that, since modern computers and software make it easier to throw together a product, mass produce it, and cut back on quality, many profit driven companies are compelled to do it. That's why so many recent anime flicks are craptastic.

The genre as a whole has some great classics, though, and it's still got a bright future ahead, amid all the schlock. when you see enough art, you begin to realize every genre has some schlock to wade through, on the way to the real gems.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Otaking"
    So the question is - what do you think of anime as art?'
    In order to answer your question, you must first define "art".

*runs and hides in the nearest bomb shelter, giggling wickedly*

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Art is communication

Thanks
    Hehehe, I´m afraid Elwell is right , you grew up, the things that are "cool" now are not the same as before.

AND you are supporting the notion that old anime is better by comparing old cinematic quality ( or mini series) with new cheap tv series ...That´s an unfair fight when it comes to budget.

Thanks
    Uhh... these animes have actual storylines and if your only criteria for watching is cause "they look cool" you're missing out on a lot. Also like Shamagim said you're comparing movies and ovas with series like Naruto where they have two hundred and something episodes with a short time for creating them. Everyone has different tastes In my case prefer the newer simpler looking but smoother animated anime to the old more detailed ones.
    Stop complaining about how they look and start complaining about those god awful dubs!!!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7