Asteroid Field

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Asteroid Field

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Asteroid Field

This is an environment that I had to create for one of my classes. Tell me what you think…

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. Good work, but some things need fixing:
    That lens flare has got to go (the one on the bottom too). It is the only place I'm looking at. Your asteroids/rocks are all on the same plane. If you squint, you see two values: dark, and bright. Work a little on your big rocks, they look too... pasted in? Many separate things that don't go together.
    But you've created a nice sense of weightlessness, and is a nice picture nonetheless.

Batman gives me warm fuzzies

my sketches

my web

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with fixx! I think you are on a good way to make this image read.

A few points:

I dont know if I am right but would the moon doesnt shine so much. Its very bright but the light is actually come from behind. The only way it could shine so bright would be when there is another light source coming from behind the camera right!? I think why the rocks look too pasted in are, because its only very dark or very bright...nothing inbetween.

Thats it for now. Hope you can improve that a little bit more because that could be a nice image!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Digging the image.

I agree with above, also I have a couple of ? about the bottom right rock. It seem to be closest but dont you feel abit of foreshortening can help? Also the shadow dont seem to be aligned well with the light. Also they seem too bold and blocky. It seems like you used the cut tool abit too liberal on that poor rock EDIT the len flare's angle of lumination is wrong on that rocks shadows.

Other than that awesome picture not breathtaking .... but solid work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another thing that jumps right out at me, is how many of the asteroids are duplicates. I know when you're working on class assignments, time can be in short supply but the copies are too obvious. If you don't have time to actually push the geometry around a little (to make them different looking), you should at least rotate them, then it won't be so apparent that they are copies. (I'm talking mainly about the larger asteroids in the foreground)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

I made a couple alterations to the image from the comments you guys made. I still think there is something missing though. I don’t know if it’s the geometry of the asteroids or the lighting. What do you guys think?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not crazy about the soft blurred edge to the moon (especially when the stars are so crisp). Also, even though this is space, I think it would be a big improvement to have a very subtle fill light coming from the dark side (maybe lavender or dark blue), so that the shadows on the asteroids don't drop out to pure black. That will help the form on the dark sides of the asteroids "read" instead of just becoming a silhouette. (many of them just merge with the background, on their dark side, right now)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.