Art: Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Painting # 5 and Drawing # 1 (9/18/02)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Painting # 5 and Drawing # 1 (9/18/02)

Hi Everybody,

Well here is painting number 5 and Drawing number 1. I figured I wouldn't wait to get the drawing supplies...I had some paper and a #2 pencil so why not start now. At any rate...by the wise advice of "Gekitsu" and "killing.people" I decided to try out some things last night. I painted a cube in monotone just to get a better understanding of light and I also placed a ring of mine on my computer desk...aimed the light at it and sketched it out. So here they are...(thanks Gekitsu and killing.people!) I am working on getting a website up that shows all my previous paintings and drawings, etc... so look for that when it comes up (good suggestion Oblio). Thanks,
    Jon

I just wanted to go greyscale on this picture so I wouldn't have to confuse myself with color and all. The shadow is a little bit too hard it looks like...I don't know...what do you guys think?...any suggestions to make it better? I was going for a "stone" or more of a front porch type of material.

With this drawing I just placed my ring on the table and tried to draw it. In the front was a weird reflection from the ring so I tried to draw that and it came out really weird...it looks like there are two light sources...that was a mistake. The shadow of the ring was supposed to just fall behind the ring...and the reflection be in the front. It was hard for me to draw freehand but it was fun...wow I think this is the first time I have actually tried to sketch something...I think everything else was just doodles in my high school classes.

Tell me what you think guys...give me all the criticism you can muster. Thanks again.
    Jon

***Below is for everyone who hasn't seen my previous posts***
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Hi Everyone,
    If you didn't see my last post(s) on www.conceptart.org then I will bring you up to speed. Basically I have been inspired by the art produced and the work ethic of Jon Foster, Andrew Jones, Jason Manley, and my brother "Smeagol71" (among many others) and have decided to learn how to paint (primarily digitally). I am starting from rock bottom and I am going to paint at least one painting every day...probably two on the weekends. The order you see them in is the order that I am painting them...every day starting on 9/15/02. I am bearing my soul to everyone. I will post everything I do...whether it is awful or not. Most of the paintings at the beginning are going to look like crap but hopefully over the days/weeks/months/years they will start to get better. I have no formal art training but have signed up for classes this semester. I have a passion to paint and welcome any encouragement or critique that you want to give. Any feedback you want to give me you can leave in the threads I or just email me. Click on the link to see the current picture. Thanks.

Last edited by MindCandyMan; September 19th, 2002 at 09:06 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, that actually is a lot of progress i see.
    one tip for the cube:
    don't paint on clear white. it kinda disturbs the way we see colors. also, on a background that is a bit darker, you will notice more contrast in the dark shades as they don't contrast too harsh against that glowing white.

i did a mouse cube some time ago, too. i just wanted to see if mousing still works for me. i painted very long with a mouse until i got my wacom. i can post some mouse things i did in the very past if you are interested.
    if you want to see what my mouse cube looks like, you can see it here
    it's photoshop's paintbrush and nothing else.
    it was a very refreshing task to do. different from everyday stuff

even if you choose to work grayscale for now, i suggest you use some kind of "toned" grays like a blueish gray or a reddish gray. you can have some pretty nifty effects with just value and color temperature.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another quick question

Thanks for the tips Gekitsu...I will utilize some of that info tonight when I go home to paint. I was curious...what brush should I use?...and what type of paints in the program...up to this point I have been using just a round camel hair...any suggestions?... I would love to see some stuff you did with the mouse as well...that would be great. I am getting my wacom this weekend so I am stoked about that...I will be able to use it for my graphic arts classes as well...so that's cool. Thanks again for all the help and allowing helping me work through everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well shit, that ring looks great!
    i think you comunicated the reflection very well - i saw it with reflection, not a shadow. great choice of study by the way! simple and yet complexe with its surrounding enviroment! - i was surprised you chose such a great still life, i am sure you just grabbed the closest thing.

i say, draw another getitsu cube in prespective. just like your studies of your ring, a means was devised early in the 15th century for translating the reality of 3-dimensional natural phenomena onto 2-dimensional surfaces using mathmatics/logic thinking/geometry, called perspective drawing. there are two type of perspective drawing. linear perspective and atmospheric perspective.

atmospheric uses shades and colors .. as if you where looking through fog or trying to see under water. the best way is observation and matching the colors with your medium, or whatever you are doing a peice of art with.

linear perspective has developed over the decades and has little rules and theories. i think when drawing your next gekitsu cube you should try to apply these rules. there are different kinds of linear perspective; one point perspective, two point, and three point. (if your figure out a cool way to do a fourth dimension, hook me up!) my advise is dont overwhelm yourself with the perspective theories! there is alot to read about with perspective and should take it in servings.

according to these rules just to make it simple, everything you look at has these simple aspects:
    the orange boarder being the extent of your vision, or your picture plane.

here is an example of an external one point perspective:

having knowledge of perspective can be beneficial!! for example, with your ring study.
    you could have imagined where your horizon line was and sketched in mesurements. (helping plot in good proportion! not changing what you see to apply with the rules of perspective, but helping you draw what you see.)

i took these pictures from the "art studio chalkboard" website. it is an amazing informative website compiled and designed by ralph larmann, an art faculty member in the university of evansville art department. the page explains more than just theories in perspective and is extremely helpful and essentially critical to learn and build a foundation!!

best link ever! - perspective

home page

-killing.people

Last edited by killing.people; September 19th, 2002 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wow thanks so much

Hi Killing,
    Thanks so much for posting all of that...that's a tremendous help...I am gonna read through the website fully when I get home (I am at work). But I will definitely try that out tonight. I am going to try and two two sketches and two paintings tonight cause I have a little more time on my hands. I can't resist hehe...I am going to read that stuff right now hehe. I will be posting more stuff tomorrow. Thanks again for the feedback! This is helping tremendously.
    jon

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.