Sketchbook: Carni's Corner (upd.Mar18) - Page 29
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Carni's Corner (upd.Mar18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 467 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oohhoh -- That toothy little bug is SO cute! ^ _ ^ (I also continue to like the Queebeebs...)

Have you ever tried using the soft edged airbrush in PS for rendering flesh? If you're starting off with a solid sketch that's dark (and maybe also hard-edged) ...essentially a silhouette... I find that pulling out the soft forms of a figure can be effectively done with a soft edged brush, maybe very low pressure (depending on brush size, maybe 3%). Along the way, if need be, you can cut crisp edges into that softness to express intersections of muscle masses, of course. It might not be the golden approach that you're questing for, but you might have some fun with it, nonetheless. Just a thought. I've found that different techniques/approaches can not only allow different final results, but -- just as importantly -- can sometimes allow our minds to actually imagine more effectively, and we can then see things that we were previously unable to. Maybe that's an obvious thought, but I reckon it warrants being plainly stated, too. That basic approach that I just described has allowed me to begin visualizing figures in space in a way that I was previously unable to, and even if I discard (or alter) it as a regular technique, my ability to see into a picture has been permanently improved.

Another thought: When drawing with line, direction of light source is not really an issue... But, when you are trying to show forms with blocks of shade/color, light source becomes monumentally important. Just looking at that last post, I'm feeling like you really have no light source in mind at all, and it confuses any form that you're trying to describe. The only way we have of interpreting form is through your lines here, and maybe basic shape, but that's not enough. I feel like you are trying to draw lines using paint blocks. I myself used to only draw, but using Photoshop has prompted me to begin to learn how to "paint". Anybody can decide to draw or to paint -- that's up to their own desires -- but, I don't think that they can be combined until the key distinction between them is realized. Numerous pics that you have here seem to reflect this issue. In the realm of painting, lines tend to destroy the illusion of form, not enhance it. While it can work well to begin with a sketch, and paint over it, it becomes necessary to remove all those lines by using value to tell the same story about those forms.

A Realllly good exercise is to try and describe form using only shape and no line. Zero lines. When you have only shapes to work with, you are forced to consider light source as these shapes tell us about the angle of the plane that is being described. Might help to use grey-scale, as colour might split your focus. I need to do this same thing more, myself. I hope I'm not being presumptuous by going on about this stuff, but you just seem to be straddling the fence between drawing and painting, but you can't do that and so I'm trying to push you.

I went through about 5 or 6 pages tonight, and had some lofty idea that I'd be able to ramble on and on, but there's just too damn much to comment like that -- So, this ramble'll have to suffice, and I'll try to pay closer attention as you update!

Cheers, mate!

Last edited by William b. Hand; March 14th, 2009 at 03:24 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William b. Hand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 467 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I had a little more time tonight to go back further looking for pics where you might be heading in the general directions that I was talking about.

Guess what? I found a pretty much perfect example.

There was some little test you did where you made a little flesh cake using - yikes - NO LINES - to describe form! And very successfully, too. Also, the outer shell of the form cake is relatively crisp-edged, whereas the smooth form of your illumination is soft. You have a primary light source that is quite clear, and this flesh cake JUMPS out of the screen at you. You even tossed in a secondary light source (the bounced light), which is not even a necessary part of the core lesson you wanna learn here. ...Of what I want you to learn here.

I think that this is a line of experimentation that you would do well to follow and follow. You don't have to give up drawing, of course, but leave it out of these experiments.

Also, try to keep it sorta simple... Use friendly, familiar imagery that you feel very comfortable with, as goals... Because, if you are trying to figure out complex geometry whilst attempting to learn a new skill, you'll just make things unreasonably hard and won't be able to focus on the lesson. It might even be better to leave outside goals out of this at first... I'm not sure.

Be patient. Focus and explore... Think about what you are doing, and try to truly see into the painting as you work. If you can't yet, do not worry... Keep thinking your way through this approach as you do it, and eventually --as you train yourself to see in this different way -- your brain will start to get a little bit ahead of you and your vision will pull you successfully into greater complexities.

But, the very important thing is to REALLY try to wrap yourself around the simple truth(s) of any new way of seeing or of revealing. It can really be humiliating to find yourself putting so much thought and time into creating what amounts to a bunch of blobs and loafs, when you feel like you already have a system in place to quickly create such (using line)... Humility is part of growing, though, and the blobs and loafs that you slave to master are what will allow you to (later, be patient) create the saucy babes and fearsome beasts of tomorrow. It's simple steps, that follow simple steps, that follow simple steps, and it's not so bad, and after the appropriate amount of effort and nurturing of this, unpredictable and positive things will happen to you.

Now, hopefully none of that rant will be hurtful, and at least some of that rant will be helpful. But, since we artist types are often visually oriented and can learn lots that way, here's a little progression I made, using your original flesh loaf as the jumping-off point:

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William b. Hand For This Useful Post:

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    william - oh man,i can't even begin to express how cool these replies are. y'know one goes through life making these doodles on occasion,just brainless noodling,and don't think it'll be anything worthwhile or contributing,but you've opened my eyes there! i'm really happy you appreciate my efforts,and guide me alittle more into the right direction. absolutely mindblowing. i'll have to digest all of this for alittle while

in the meantime,some really shitty pencils,and a start for this week's chow.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    little update. the idea is not to show the blue lights accompanying her directly (as only she can see them), but only the light effect they have,and their reflections in the wet street.
    i can just hear her in my head,laughing: "you don't understand. they are with me...always."

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work man, my favourites are the characters on page28, like the animation type ones, the poses and emotions are awesome

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexTooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alextooth - cheers,they are alot of fun to draw

jake cobrin and spaztastik for that lounge thread. tried to make caricatures,but i didn't quite get the likeness down. oh well,next time

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, so William gave you a whole heap of awesome advice, so I'll let ya digest.. hehe.. Keep crankin, Carni!

dC

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dCepT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 492 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good Sb Carnifex
    dont stop share

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Verehin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update!update!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Philipp Scherer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks everybody...
    sorry,not been feeling too well lately...didn't do anything much.

Last edited by Carnifex; March 23rd, 2009 at 04:37 PM.
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update! I like the cartoonies! How about painting one of 'em up with William's advice in mind? Use the light and color to really show off the shapes
    Keep 'em clean like..

dC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dcept - ehh,maybe. not sure i could pull it off yet.

warmup(possible t-shirt design?), big bug(not quite happy with the face), and something i doodled after looking at jollyjack's deviantart gallery,and reading a few of his strips.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry,hardly worth the update...
    i'm feeling pretty out of touch these days...

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 878 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your ability to conceptualize is very, very good and is reflected in your drawings.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mike butkus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot mike!

tried to really make a strip for the first time...placing the word bubbles is a whole lot harder than i thought
    also initial sketches for two panels.
    made it up as i went btw,but i think that's obvious.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Julie needs to rearrange her bathroom furniture so that she can get to her sink more easily! The mouse in 852 is excellent--those lines look effortless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    courtyard - d'oh! yes,she does. thanks!

first tests in artrage...omg that program rocks!
    edit: but damn,i need a bigger tablet. a6 is too small.

Last edited by Carnifex; April 3rd, 2009 at 11:00 AM.
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wee,i'm so happy! last month i had rather many bouts of depression,but since the beginning of last week i feel i can draw well again. it seems i needed alittle break from this forum too,or the pc in general. one of those sketches says it all,really.
    and finally it's beginning to become spring!
    cheers!

Sketchbook

Always think about:

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    artrage speedie and creature inspired by moai's sketchbook.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey hey. Nice update. I like artrage too. One can do quirky stuff that looks real analog. Hehehe. Maybe itīs also a good programm for you to get more comfortable with the blobs William mentioned. I know exactly what it means beeing really comfortable with ones lines. The Gnoll and a few other tried to persuade me to leave my initial lines and try blobs and digital painting. Took the better part of a year for me to listen and try it. But man, was it worth it.
    So go ahead.

The comics are cool n dirty as ever. So many different expressions. Really cool. Keep it up.

Cheers

Wolf

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didnīt come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

31. The Following User Says Thank You to bbwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bbwolf - cheers! well,artrage is better for initial sketching,i'd say,and weird experiments.

actually tried "blobbing" today,man it's fun! just mindless doodling...cool. the thing is,it's finally spring,so i'm hating alittle on the pc and prefer running around with my sketchbook but hey,maybe i should start running around with the laptop!
    and yes,i'll DO MORE. (don't try to deny you wanted to say it,i know how your minds work)
    (but i'm going out now )

Sketchbook

Always think about:

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That blobbing experiment lloks good for a first try. As in a wild experiment. I like to experiment with artrages oil and scrape tools. Good for blobing too.

Cheeres

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didnīt come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

35. The Following User Says Thank You to bbwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bbwolf - good call

fun with design.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, that last update is looking good, esp the one on the right.
    If i were you, when you're in your down periods, challenge yourself with something different, i see you have the tendancy of pinting towarss recurring themes and subjects.Def do more life drawing (that always comes in use)(you might wanna see if there some sketchcrawl going on in your area)
    and try and give yourself some assignments that are different from usual, get involved in studying something (might be a "theme", ancient rome? gangsters? muscle cars? whatever) to really spice up things.And about the blobbing experiments, always keep in mind you're not posting to please us, but to keep a track of what you have done yourself, so i'd skip the smaller updates if you yourself to find them worth the effort of posting.
    Just my 2 cents.Those cats are looking very good, you might wanna double check the proportions ( te first is ok, the others have very short legs and weird spines)

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gnoll - yeah,i get feelings of guilt ever so often ("they expect me to do this..."),without putting too much thought behind it. bad habit,but i'm weird like that. (what with thinking it might get me more replies). as for certain themes...it's what i'm currently doing with the cats and disney...admittedly i'm nigh always dodging lifedrawings,since i'm not accustomed to 'em (which makes for instant result hate ). i just noticed the proportional issues on the cats myself thanks for stopping by!

stuff...

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definate progress going on now, Carni.. has been for some time! Good stuff The cartoony stuff is taking you in an interesting direction! Even so, lifedrawing and all that jazz is important for toon-stuff as well All those cats over at Disney that are soo good at stylization has a solid base of lifedrawing and such..
    I know it sucks when you do lifedrawing and feel that it comes out...less than you want it to be... I don't do enough lifedrawing myself, so I feel all rusty once I get the chance to do some, but I figure it's not about pretty pictures when you do speedy nude studies and such.. it's just practice.. it's the stuff you go and do later on that'll be the pretty pictures So if you have the chance to do lifedrawing; go do it! Hehe

Of course.. just my two cents worth..to add to what TheGnoll said..

Keep crankin'! You're making strides!

dC

40. The Following User Says Thank You to dCepT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    btw, i think you would love the artwork this guy does:

http://www.arthurdepins.com/ (he recently updated his site, and now it sucks... but just click on "archives" to go to his old site)

43. The Following User Says Thank You to archipelago For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool art...

45. The Following User Says Thank You to bharat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dcept - you're practically giving all the answers yourself,can't even respond,hehe
    archipelago - thanks a ton! didn't know he had a website,kickasss! you're kicking out some sweeet stuff yourself.
    bharat - thanks!

been alittle...mostly out enjoying springtime,not much drawing...but here's a little doodle inbetween. (head's photoref of myself)
    (bike off google)

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6