Sketchbook: .16/05.2012.Papal.Robots.&.Unicorns. - Page 18
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: .16/05.2012.Papal.Robots.&.Unicorns.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Raphire Thanks - that said the first pages were years ago
    Still glad you liked it ~

The_Flying_Dutchman Thanks ~ and I do try (as long as I'm active )

strangedawn
    I'm happy you do - it's one of my own favorites I think & thanks.

ranunkel, Tawnos, Paolo13 , Conniekat8 A collective thanks!

Saara_
    & you are correct about the girl - I was hoping that it would go anyway - or I was going to fix it later - probably the later - not certain about the head as I kind of like her to be 7 heads or so (haven't checked on the other hand) - but the shoulders were crazy that's for certain.

& see you can give good criticism ~ or I often asked my parents or non-painters - and just the reactions is often enough - and besides you seem to have a good eye. and thanks (and you can paint ~)

Bing! I mix - sometimes as I'll show in an image in this post I start with rough lines, sometimes I start with colours and then clean/clear with contrasting lines - so it really depends on what I'm doin . (later on I add using colour directly most of the time - and it's been a year since I last did a value version that I then coloured) & thanks.

NickyBeats Thanks, but hopefully you will keep that push in the area of painting (some of the previous post was from early last week).

Some early WIP versions of two of these - showing my rather crappy/personal process ~ anyway Saara this was the reason for the strange scale - the legs were bent and different - and then when I changed that the rest kind of broke
    Name:  earlyversions.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  41.5 KB

Quick SP - pretty off in some regards but just hit it with some colour after I got up so ~ (20 min while sipping coffee?) (or my jaw isn't as square etc etc). One reason for the stretching in height is that my normal computer is broken and the laptop/surftop I use is tiny and can't display a correct aspect ratio on my normal screen (I get a compressed version but)
    Name:  sp.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  40.3 KB

Fixed some stuff - including the arm/shoulder - should look slightly more normal now I think. & my SB is weird enough that people can view it as child - and that the pregnant machinery is just machinery (and it really is just random and has no thought to it).
    Name:  flygirl10.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  195.3 KB

Fixed this up a bit - might show my session of cockpit changes - decided on a simple version - but meh - might change it later. (the arrow was directed towards the cockpit - and will be later as well - not towards the crow) & the text is crappy again but in swedish so nvm.
    Name:  mech16.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  121.1 KB

The last two are still WIP (and everything serious will be until my normal computer is fixed)

Last edited by dan liimatta; May 31st, 2011 at 04:56 AM.
    SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love your sense for details. I had to double take at a few things a page or two back, zome grizzly looking things! lol

Also wanted to say been learning a lot reading all your little random critiques here and there through people sketchbooks. Good stuff man, all around. take care.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aveh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG, your stuff is beautiful. Your sense of light and form is just amazing man....post #454 looks incredible. That creature is pink AND badass. Damn it, now I'm inspired to do something like that! Thanks a lot, trying to detract me from my life studies D:

And yeah I've been reading some of your crits too, and it really helps. Keep it up! Really benefits the community!

BLAHBLAHBLAH

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

8. The Following User Says Thank You to boj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool uppdaits man love the monster ho taips!! haha and that abut zorn is trhu kipp them coming man!

my sb:http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=169044&page=5

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, of course. I'm already conditioned for the ''huge boobs, long legs'' body type that's always in art so I actually look past natural proportions (lol). Then I'll take it back - I agree about the head size. Especially on an asian girl, 7 heads is actually fairly typical. And yeah, it's easy to miss the anatomy when painting characters, especially when having fun doing it - you just forget it . Throw some crazy clothes on top of that and ta-dah - you already have a third foot somewhere in there. Life is hard.

Anyway, insaanely good colors in the SP. Actually your colors in general tend to look very... fresh. Like mint candy, lol. I know it doesn't sound very flattering but that's just the first thing that came to mind, hahaha. The robot looks really good now - I don't know what your other designs for it look like but I think it's better now - more relaxed-looking. I actually can't quite put my finger on it, maybe it's the flow of the silhouette. The crash mark in the front of the car, whatever car-people call it, is puzzling me a bit though. Did the car crash before the robot smacked his sword through it? As a macabre sidenote, I love the tiny little head rolling there. A nice detail, lol.

Oh, and interesting to see your process. I've always wondered whether you use grayscale at all because your colors are always so vibrant. But I think it makes sense now. Actually I think that's a really logical way to go about it so it might even be fun to try out.

Last edited by Saara_; May 31st, 2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: herp

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Saara_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got some pretty funny pictures going on, love your ideas. Especially those ghost cartoonthingies in the forest piece on page 13.
    Seems like you're having a lot of fun doing those, very inspiring. Reminds me to paint more weird ass crazy stuff

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rocko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Big thanks for your support!

Sketchbook
    Now crit the shit out of me!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tawnos For This Useful Post:

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    love the stuff here man, n love those wips you showed!!!
    you a rockstar OR WHAT!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bhanu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really awesome work! Love your creature designs!

5 Stars from me!

Cheers,
    Quinn

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Quinn Simoes For This Useful Post:

Born, raised, and still residing in Hollister, California
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really dig the monsters. its nice to see that you got ur own style.. im also diggin the island landscape in 480. good stuff. lookin forward to more

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dU5K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahhh awesome updates! Thank you for the process shots, I see you sort of get the big basic stuff in and go over with some details. I think I have a few things to learn yet thank you for sharing!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bpic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love a lot of your work. I feel you've got a good sense of color and I'm impressed with the quality of your rendering as well as the control you display over your medium. However, I feel two big things are holding back your images from reaching their full potential.

1: While you've clearly made concerted efforts to vary your edges, I still see images that either could use some harder edges (like the dude with the typewriter) or else have such a constancy of the same edge all throughout the composition where it becomes hard to focus (like the pink chicken creature). If you look at a lot of old master paintings, those cats very intentionally control the gradation of edges from hard to soft not only to indicate form and material but more importantly to control their compositions and in turn the viewer's gaze. It would be worth looking into any good representational painter from Sargent to Rockwell as they all do this really well.

2: You paint everything with the same specularity. This is a very common illustrative problem that seems endemic to Photoshop rendering, but I really feel it is holding your images back. This will sound stupid, but some surfaces are really shiny in that they will very precisely reflect point light sources, and other times they're really matte in that the light will be diffused all across the surface. But then there's also the texture of the surface to consider, like there's a difference between a perfectly smooth metal marble or a metal marble that has been severely worn. Considering one of your creatures, you might want to make the teeth really shiny with the skin really matte. I know you do this to some extent, but it's not enough, and of not nearly enough variety. Vary the types of materials within your image as if you were working in a 3D program.

Make concerted efforts to correct those two issues and I believe you will like what you see.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MT-Mystic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh gott, that was amazing. Monsters from previous posts are really stunning, you put incredible amount of work in Your drawings. Also very nice portrait. But imho that girl's face is kinda weird

27. The Following User Says Thank You to hu-ha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hu-ha The flygirl? It's on purpose - unless you mean weird as in bad - I had a more normal face at first but wanted it rather extreme. & thanks

bpic
    Np - and dunno what's the best route - just works decently for me. (at work we often painted over images/photos/collages - so I guess it came from that as well

dU5K
    thanks! - and I'll see you again then (for I should be adding more )

Quinn Simoes Thanks, and the same

bhanu Ah the fame and the glory ~ ~ and all the women and money too, wait I think I'm missing all of that

Tawnos glad to help ~ and np.

rocko
    Thanks - and I get bored by studies and portraits in the long run I guess - thus most of the weirdness

Saara_
    Heh - that said I think she is closer to 6 heads

But yeah - I started with a nice normal sexy look to the face as well - but then decided to throw a spanner in that and change it up - but I think we are all caught in that mentality. .

& Yes - they got really candy like at some points - the colours - dunno if I should always aim to keep them or not - sometims I consider going for more grit and dirt again.

& the car makes little sense but I wanted to paint a wrecked car and I wanted a warzone of sorts - but I only wanted to add so much extra - so I decided that since I wanted to wreck a car, why not really wreck a car - and you can imagine that the world is all broken just like it. But it's a shortcut or bad abstraction of the world perhaps.

As for starting with colour or greyscale etc. I think for some stuff lines are best, for other value greyscale and for others colour - normally I start with colour no matter what since I have no idea what I'll do, or very little. I think for the colours of a piece starting out with them is a good idea though - as you know early on how they will be (and you sneak them in less - something I did in the past when I started with grey).

& Thanks

sevarenge Heh - funderade över "taips" ett bra tag innan jag kom på vilken du menade - jo jag gillade den också & tack.

boj Thanks ~

Deadlyhazard Thanks - and np - life studies are fine and essential, but you want to make something out of anyways

Aveh Thanks - and the gore/bowels just keep sliding out without intent - but I'm happy you like it
    & It's fun to help out from time to time - and I can feel a bit better about things - I just hope that I don't give bad criticism (probably from time to time) - but thanks for saying.

MT-Mystic
    Thanks for taking the time to go through some of my works - but you can't judge much at all on two pieces out of all of those in my SB - both were tests/experiments in using softedge brushes only (or almost only) - neither are finished (this is a sketchbook).
    Most of my other pieces never look like that and don't have edges like it. Feel a bit hollow that you would even care to try to direct someone when you can't care to look at more than a handful of works and then deduct what someone is missing based two of them, both clearly different in style than my other works - I just hope you don't do it to someone that's so insecure that he will listen despite himself.

On point 2 I partly agree, or I can agree that I often don't add reflections early in the process - and thus my finished pieces rarely have good/lots of texture/reflections save colour bonunces as they were not planned early and mostly added as an afterthought - but again it's mostly because I add them last, and this is a SB after all and not finished pieces so there is even less in material defenitions here. (you can for example see on the current images that I do add reflections and highlights - even if the mecha is dull and not supposed to be shiny at all (but some edges and glass do get some shiny to it) .

the other image is again a rough sketch - and wet (storm, and thus mostly have the same simply shine - but ~ ).

DSG for today - go and do it ~ DSG 1608: Sci-Fi/Enviro • SUPERSTORM FUNNEL LOOMS NEAR AEROBOTICS FACILITY
    Name:  dsg05.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  67.3 KB

Just an update with a detail view. Very WIP surface wise and some stuff might change in form as well. You can also see how I just add lines on top of the arm/hand or just paint for the tubes/mucles under the arm - what ever I think will work best. Also I really suck when it comes to perspective sometimes :/
    Name:  mech19.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  219.1 KB

Last edited by dan liimatta; June 1st, 2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: derp

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did look through a lot of your work and only made suggestions based on what I saw, calling into question only a couple examples. Why would I bother to write anything at all if I only looked at 2 images out of hundreds? I understand that this is your sketchbook and these are unfinished works, but for most people, and certainly myself, these issues do often become apparent early in the development of an image. I apologize if by taking a great deal of time and effort to leave meaningful feedback I somehow offended you. In any case, I really like your work and wish you the best.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to MT-Mystic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gillar roboten helt klart spesjält huvet som stutsar i väg från bilen haha lanskapet ser coolt utt är det nån slaks tävling du har gjort det i samband med? ha det gött!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to sevarenge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, great stuff in your Sketchbook!
    Love the weirdness of a lot of it, or the arbiträrity of it all, as you so eloquently put it
    As for pushing the textures further (cloth as cloth, metal as metal, and so on), I think you're on the right track. Keep observing from life, how reflections of light and contrast between light/dark areas help to define the material. I'm just babbling, just practice!!

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Harmageddon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff in here, like the last one with the cranky robot.
    Nice texture experiment.

One thing that might help you is to organize your values, try to make the dark and the light work and then use the inbetween value as a bridge to bind them together. This will explain the big planes better and make the big impression stronger. If you can make it work with three value in the beginning then the textures will be like icing on the top.

Keep up the hard work it will pay off.

PENR

37. The Following User Says Thank You to P E N Ricklund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That last robot thing looks preeettyy gooooood!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Loathsome For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great details on that last one Dan! and i love your DSG entry! im gonna go finish mine up!!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

41. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Dan i have being giving out that you disappear for so long. But if that is what you come back with.....please can't wait to see what you have in 6 months time.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gillar roboten, najs design...och gillar huvvet som rullat iväg hehe x)
    använder du texturer eller gör du dom själv? ser awesome ut iaf

45. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Förbannat grym sb, har inte kollat alla sidor än pga kasst internet o mycket att göra men nån gång så ska jg sitta o mysa me din sb ^^
    Gillar verkligen dina robotar o miljöer dem pwnar, sen e det väldigt nice när du växlar mellan tecknad o realistisk stil

Keep up the good vörk and stay bacon ^^

If anybody knows or have the contact stuff to the most wonderfull singer in the known universe please give her this... plxOr

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Baconstrap For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol that robot piece is awesome. I like the little head rolling out of the car and the pilot chick, "oops."

49. The Following User Says Thank You to bpic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Digging the robot! : )

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Jephyr X For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jephyr X Thanks - & I need to wrap that one up.

bpic
    Not sure if I should keep the head if it ever makes my portfolio ~
    & Thanks

Baconstrap Tack - o de första 10 sidorna börjar bli gammalt nu
    & jag försöker växla stilar ibland - fastnar ofta men det är rätt naturligt.

rumpenstiltzkin Skulle vara min signatur - står Dan. L i blodet - men råkade ha det spegelvändt då ~ får se om jag behåller den nu & tack

Använder grundläggande textur från Sai - en sandig textur till penslarna, men skulle ha gjort det själv om jag haft photoshop

Mitze
    Thanks - I still think myself worse than last year in February - as I didn't paint for a year, but it's getting back in motion again.
    & I'll try to stay around, but dunno - could go off again - easy to do.

NickyBeats
    Thanks - and you do that

Loathsome
    Börjar bli ja - måste fixa armarna o endel till men

P E N Ricklund
    Thanks - and yes it's been awhile since I did textures, at least painted textures (lived as a texture artist for 2 years) - and I think your advice is sound - the problem is in part that I would change my process, which I might have to - but I kind of like the crash like way of doing things I currently have.

As in I keep adding left and right - trying things out - as I rarely have any idea what I'll do when I start on a personal piece - and I often change parts and areas several times during it.

I probably should try to be more organized and start with shapes and then flesh it out by building bridges between the two as you say - I did at work at points, but at the same time I often grow bored if I'm too careful.

That say I need to improve some areas quite a bit.

& your visit and advice is welcome

Tackar.

Harmageddon Normally I would just say "Just paint" - as I'm too lazy at the moment to do studies :/

But I need to improve my material definitions - I kind of got lazy with it post work as I wanted to shy away from what I was living off (texturing).

But it's lacking in my paintings - especially of late.

sevarenge Heh, huvudet verkar vara en favorit
    & det var för the Daly sketch group här på CA (inte så dagligen men).

& tack.

MT-Mystic
    I really like when people give me feedback - if you check my respsonses to everyone else that have I'm mostly just positive - it's just that if you actually went through my last pages I'm surprised you didn't see how far from my normal style these images that you used for examples - I only have those two that are in a airbrush like style at all (three after this post) and thus as they are unlike the rest of my work and hardly make for good examples. For example you could have made a rather good case for my edges by using something like... OLD IMAGES

& Are there problem with the edges? yes - in most of these they are too hard - and I rarely use soft brushes nor do I smudge areas out.

Some like

Does stand out as I managed to mix decently between smooth and hard edges despite mostly using hard brushes - but given how well this suited my style in general it's not a big suprise. (soft edges would have improved it probably)

Given this I decided to try out an only airbrush approach - and these two you used to comment on how my edges needed improving (they do, but based on what you described) - so it's just rather empty and I think you should be careful not to give advice of that sort to people, and that was what annoyed me (and I wasn't offended since I largely agree that my edges needs improving given that it was the reason for the images in the first place).

You can see the result on the faces on the first two characters below (the body of the right one also uses soft brushes but still needs lots of work).
    As I said I agree about the specuality - I think one reason for it is simply that for my current way of working getting the shapes is more important and I rarely speedpaint nowdays - now finish anything.

& Thanks for coming by ~

NEW IMAGES (those above are from page 11-14 or so).

This was going to be todays warmup - was listening to Motörhead - but it grew a bit.

Not really done, but hell - probably never will get back to it. & by that I present HELL FISH/head! (Ignore the perspective flaws! - and in my defence it was mostly a render test - and too lazy to fix that now )
    Name:  motörheadwarmup.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  101.2 KB

Some WIP characters that I'm currently working on - need to fix everything about the hands - and got some porpotions propblems - and some areas are still under construction in general - also need better textures ( and the colouring is rough). (2 of these are old greyscale images that can be found on page 12- both the soldiers)
    Name:  karaktärer.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  234.9 KB

Need to get back to them and some other stuff now - probably will have something decent by the end of the week.

Last edited by dan liimatta; June 7th, 2011 at 12:17 PM.

53. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool character designs! great works!

55. The Following User Says Thank You to Trishkell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing updates man! Thanks so much for stopping by mine

57. The Following User Says Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh i see, använder du endast Sai lr? använder det ibland men har inte riktigt full koll på det än :p
    grymma updates också btw! gillar färgerna på den fjärde bilden

59. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8