Future Battle Scene: Take 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Future Battle Scene: Take 2

This is a second try on a futuristic battle scene, its not the same as the first, but a similar idea. Heres the first one: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81815

Anyway, Its going to be an ambush kind of thing, Im having guys hiding behind pillars and statues. There will be an army about to come through an opening gate. The room is going to look fancy and important to make the army coming through the gates seem like they are some of the best, making this ambush key to make sure these guys dont get onto the battlefield. Many of these cubes are just place holders to make sure that the perspectives are correct. I will be adding more people later on. The guy shown right now will have armor and a gun later on, right now im just making sure his anatomy is right. Crits wanted.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anatomy anatomy anatomy... going back to futuristic battle scene 1, many of the crits apply to this scene too. Are you using any references? The guys left side is too small. The room perspectives seem okay so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agre with Mofongo, your perspective is simple and seems correct but your character needs some TLC.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update: The block that the guy is crouching behind will become a statue that will fully cover him right now its just a place holder.

Last edited by Whammybar; November 26th, 2006 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for some reason when i see your sketch all i can think of is the last battle scene in fifth element in the lobby of the cruise ship when bruce is fighting the bangalords... you might want to take some reference points from it(you did say a fancy room) or just watch it again cuz its such a cool movie! also just a lil crit, the guy on the far right looks out of place.... very out of place... the way he is standing is akward and unbalanced. trying to fire from that position may be harder than it looks. mabye try him kneeling (spelling)

---feel free to crit my sketches post---
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81530

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update: I know the guys head doesnt look right, but im still figuring out how to do that. Do you have a screen shot of the room, by the time I actually get the movie ill probably be done with this, hehe. You were right about the farthest guys pose.

Last edited by Whammybar; November 27th, 2006 at 01:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the best i could do at such short notice. at work atm. hope it helps. (movie has far better scenes)
    Name:  FifthElement170.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  20.2 KB
    Name:  FTHL4.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  10.7 KB
    Name:  fifth04.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  23.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I dont mean fancy as in an old english palace. I mean more science fiction but the room will look like it was built with care and made to look nicer than the rest of the base.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After a long process of trial and error, i finally perfected the armor concept I was going for. The white lines will end up being lights. Any comments?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should really get a weapon into his hands as I don’t' think the hands are placed right for many weapons, cept for maybe a combat shotgun...I like the lights idea for the armor, reminds me of the hellgate London armor design in that regard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, you really need to sketch in the gun when you're first posing the figure. Now you'll have to change the arms to make them look right, and that means redoing the armor on them. Just something to keep in mind next time.
    It'll help make the pose more believeable
    Try it out on the guys in the background.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The guy squating looks awkward. I would try changing his position or redo it with a reference photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well heres an update, how does it look? I put guns on the other guys just to see if their hands were in the right places. What is awkward about the guy squatting, it seems ok to me except his butt looks a little wierd, i did use a reference. Sorry about the fact that the gun is a little hard to see, its hard making different shades of grey stand out from each other. I didnt say this yet, but im planning to do it in black and white to get the values down, then adding color.

Last edited by Whammybar; December 2nd, 2006 at 04:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The guns actually look pretty good in my quick look at it. And it doesn’t look like you had to move the arm around too much. Good addition.

Concerning the color how are you going to apply it? Because I know some people just try and add a layer set to color on top but that kind of leads to flat colors, even if you have value shading underneath. Anyhow, good work thus far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Truepinkas
    The guns actually look pretty good in my quick look at it. And it doesn’t look like you had to move the arm around too much. Good addition.

Concerning the color how are you going to apply it? Because I know some people just try and add a layer set to color on top but that kind of leads to flat colors, even if you have value shading underneath. Anyhow, good work thus far.
    Thanks. For the color part, Ive seen in other threads people have done this and it turned out really nicely. I might add basic shades of color to it, then change it to grey scale to get the right grey values and then color back over it. But ive never really done this before so im just experimenting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not saying this is a bad method of coloring, in fact I use it quite a bit. It was the technique I used to do this image. It's just not quite as simple as adding a color layer on tom of the shading a lot of the time.

The thing to remember is that when you use this style you may have to adjust the contrast and brightness of each individual part after you apply the color layer. That and don't just use fill colors on the shape, that will not look right in the majority of cases.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright I added armor and added fill colors to the guys in the background, how are they looking?

Last edited by Whammybar; December 3rd, 2006 at 05:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started on the actual building. Id appreciate comments on how it is looking so far so I know if im doing a good job or not. Also, does the color scheme look good? It may be looking too much like a disco dance party, but I dont really know. The yellow will probably be lights. It probably wont be this bright when i do the lighting.

Edit: Im redoing the walkway but keeping the columns. Still figuring out my concept for the room.

Last edited by Whammybar; December 10th, 2006 at 05:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cleaned up the two left soldiers and changed their armor a bit. I took a way the wierd walkway design. And added a wall rug. Any comments or suggestions about where to go with this piece? Im thinking of changing the pose of the guy to the right.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.