Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: RPG in ConceptArt forums!!

Thanks

Post RPG in ConceptArt forums!!

Hi peeps.

Before I Start explaining what I had in mind, I was wondering if anyone were familiar with the term RPG in forums? For those who aren’t, it’s basically where you write about your character that you invented in beforehand (Looks, History, Special Abilities, Flaws, etc). You then interact, with other writer’s characters, pulling them through endless stories or have them fight against each other. Ether way, you cannot write about the other character or the conclusion he endures after an incident. For a quick example, you may write about your characters actions in the story, lets say he swings a mighty blow to Jeffrey’s left kidney; the writer of Jeffery has now the chance to react upon it accordingly (within reason (also meaning realistically)).

Now what I had in mind is to do exactly that, but we as artists will draw instead of writing. It’s the same schematics, and the end results should present a form of comic story drawn by 2-4 artists, pending on how many character’s are getting involved in a quest, venturing to the heart of (quick think of a stupid name) “Darth Drag-mar’s Hole”.

Anyway, I would really appreciate any feedback and crazy wild ideas that you super creative skilled peeps have to enhance the scheme. Personally I think rules are important, they help to give everyone equal chances, without leaving someone over or underpowered.

My aim is too make one’s drawing skill second rank. The display quality isn’t as important as displaying what goes on in the story. How good can you capture someone’s fantasy? I think this involves everyone; everyone has a good ability to tell a story through images then actually focusing on a random image alone. I write in RPG forums, and when I do write I can see exactly the scenario that I’m describing, and brown squared framed images fall out of my head into my hands (see you did it then) for me to draw.

Again, any suggestions or thoughts, any at all, just post them here or PM me.

Thanks a Punch

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I enjoy doing RPG and am involved in several at the moment. I do enjoy visualizing my story but often lack the skill to draw it for one reason or another.
    I think it would be difficult to draw the WHOLE thing and produce a conclusive story at the same time without it lasting for months on end. However drawing particularly interesting/important scenes within it and thus effectively getting a partly illustrated story would be good.

However it might be interesting to get an RP going and illustrate some scenes perhaps everyone has a go at drawing the characters after reading a written description of them, drawing the land in which it is set etc. and everyone votes for their favorite incarnation of each which and we end up with a set of pictures to go with this RP.

Thanks
    I really like this idea. I RP a lot myself and I always get a ton of ideas for things to draw. I've usually started drawing my character out before it's over. I'm not sure if I'd have the disipline for what you're suggesting though. I have done illustratred RPs before in which the written description of whats occuring aswell as a few thumbnails on the side. Just keep in mind a lot of RPs are short lived and intrest is lost before the conclusion can be reached.

Thanks
    Very interesting. I think it should be fun. I'm quite busy right now though.. But that doesn't matter! I saw a similar thing on this one guy's website, but it wasn't an RPG thing, it was like, he and his friends took turns in drawing a page (5-6 frames) in a comic. So they both "owned" the characters and would do whatever they wanted with it. Each page would introduce a new twist in the plot and the other would then continue with it. It would be like... an improv comic. I don't know if that's what you had in mind, but it's one option, then you won't be as restricted... Just a thought...

Thanks
    Thanks for the heads-up but I'm kinda busy these days. I definately want to see what the results come out like if you get it going. Good luck!

Thanks
    Seems like the idea is intriguing enough, just the technicalities are putting people off. Though, I know it is a lot of fun for people to create their fantasy characters, so why not push it one step further and bring him to live!

I’m now thinking of the idea, bringing writing and drawn scenes together. If a person doesn’t feel like he’s able to draw a certain part of the scene he wishes to describe, he may simply write it, and I think this should be applied vice versa. This might form a written story with a lot of illustrations or reverse.

To be exact, it doesn’t really matter whether the invented character is mainly written or drawn, as long as the story or fighting is easy to follow and makes a lot of sense.

Another example I had in mind:

Person 1: The only thing he decides to draw, is a picture of his character (a knight) emerging out of some cave into the sunlight. Then starts to write the rest. Maybe, how his character notices a strange figure in the distance and decides to let him (if the character is made to be curious and fearless by nature) walk up to it to get a better look.

Person 2: He decides to draw everything, frame by frame. First frame, how his character (an evil-vengeful hunter) sees the knight approaching. Second frame is drawn of his face, how he recognizes the knight’s emblem. Third frame again but his face turns into disgust. Fourth frame how he pulls his sabre and launches an attack at the knight. Fifth frame is pretty much a decoration shot, with the hunter beaming down at the knight (taking note that he not drew the impact or the result of his attack).

Person 1: He still prefers to write about the narrow escape of the hunter's attack by using his character's mighty shield as a deflection. He then decides to draw a full glorified pose of his knight, being all well and good, then continues to write about how he questions the evil hunter's attack and tells him that he is under his league if the fight were to continue.

And so on…

I hope you get the idea of that bad placed scenario of mine, but I would imagine writing and drawing with other minds-at-work would be more satisfying. It really doesn’t matter what method one uses to bring the their part across, as long as it is exciting and fun.

Thanks
    That sounds really interesting. I think it would be easier to combine the art with writing, so we can either just paint one scene, or make a comic-like illustration, and combine that with word descriptions.
    I'd love to participate if you get this started, sounds like lot of fun and a good practice.
    Maybe have someone kill off others character if the artist stopped participating for a round or so, or limit a thread count for each round?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by look
    Maybe have someone kill off others character if the artist stopped participating for a round or so, or limit a thread count for each round?
    Ahh, that's always a problem in RPs, what to do about characters who suddenly disapeer? Most RPs I've been in just continue on as if the character had never existed, which I don't like. I sometimes just say "and then character x suddenly realised that she/he had to do activity y and said goodbye and left.", It will be situational. I think something like If you have not posted in x weeks your character is passed on to the other players to do with as they will, be that kill your character or or send it off.

As for battles, which I'm pretty sure an RP here will include, there is always the issue of the invincible characters and stalemate battles. There needs to be a limit to how long you can dodge the bullet, though I hope everyone here will be mature enough not to inexplicably avoid all damadge for no good reason. My solution to this is usually to create disposable punching bag characters, who are created and put in for the purpose of dieing in the end and possibly also providing some interesting opposition for the the other characters. My record for most characters controlled at once was... well, way to many. It was a LOTR RP, I had two orc main characters, a hyena pet, two or three wolf rider side characters, about half a dozen orcs from a patrol, one human character and his company of about a score. In the end most of the humans died along with two wolf riders, and one wolf.

Characters like these are important in storylines, especially when it's an RP and people get so stuck with just trying to interact among 4 characters, and nothing exciting happens.

Thanks
    Since I never RP in forum before, I thought it'd be more of a story going thing than stats. Feel free to fill me in though. Like do the characters level up and gain new abilities after complete a quest?

Thanks
    I've been involved with a forum rpg for a few years, admin'd if for most that time. This rpg evolved out of a fan club group from deviantart.com. The great thing about it was that it was very art-driven, and most users would post drawings out of their favorite scenes that had happened. I like the idea you have here and it sounds similar to what I've done.

I'd love to help. I think it should be story driven, Look. And, this being a concept art forum, should focus strongly on improving skills. Starting off with visual 'character sheets' should begin the process. Once we have players we can start with a basic scenario/mission. It can focus on developing character design, leaving things like landscape as a minor focus. When character design is established we can move on to a castle for example. The focus there would be to really bring the castle to life and work on perspective and creative architecture.
    SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Sounds interesting. I'd be up for giving it a whirl.

Thanks
    Yea, it should deffinately be story driven. The whole level up thing makes things more complicated than necessary. When you come across super powerful ennemy #1, it's either they're better than you and kick your ass, or you get lucky. Or it could be average and a stalemate battle. Or you kick the ennemy's ass. None of this, if you're level 7, and your ennemy is level 16, but your in a group of 5 similarily levled characters and managed to beat it then you get such and such number of experience points and after you've gotten some such and such number of experience points then you level up. No, because then improving your character's skill becomes about finding as many monsters to beat up as possible, and it's just to much to be thinking about when the purpose of this is to be drawing.

Thanks
    Should a grouped be formed to start collecting characters?
    SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast