the flash

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: the flash

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the flash

Ok, this is my first post. (ive been checking this site and boards for some time here, some very talented people here)
    But to the topic, ive been drawing for ages. But when it comes to painting im absolutly clueless. Ive tried reading tutorials, color information, lighting, and i dont quite understand all that. So im starting to figure maybe the best way is just to try finishing some pictures (which i never do cause half way through i feel like they suck and move on, a habit i really need to break) So, i decided to do something simple, and ended up with this so far, its the flash. I figured a mostly one colored suit would help me focus. here it is so far...the flash

i really just want some input on what you think i should do.(right now im just focusing on the suit) for those of you willing to read on, heres what i know about painting. (its not much)
    *your supposed to carry surrounding colors onto the suit (such as the background. (which ive yet to do)
    thats about it. Im using painter IX to paint it, ive got photoshop cs2,(and tablet) and im pretty comfortable with both programs, its just painting that elludes me.
    please help if you can, id like to see if i can keep myself moving on this pic. any tips for brushes, colors, anything, would be great.
    edit* i didnt put this in the painter or photoshop forums, cause i want help with pic, not programs

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far it's very good, but what it lacks is volume in the colors.
    First of all, I think you should paint the entire composition with flats, then adding basic shadows, and go on from there. Not working on a single piece at a time.
    This way you can see the entire piece and have more clue about which colors blend.
    Second, you need to think of material, I don't know the hero to the details but I'll assume his costume is made of latex or another rubbery material. Most rubbers, especially latex, is very smooth surfaced, which result in alot of specular lights when needed and almost reflective (http://www.unitard4u.com/latexebay/blackred.jpg - worksafe).
    Shadows and lights are much harder then ordinary suit.
    Lastly, If you want to keep that background then you should rethink your shadows; shadows are normally colored by the environment.

See this link for better understanding of light: http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that theres a lack in volume. And thats one of the main problems i have when i paint (i try making darkers darker, and lights lighter, but it just doesnt seem to gimme what i want.
    I wont disagree that the shadows look weird for the background, something i was planning to work on (or just change the background, cause ive been boucning the color around like a moron)
    I dont want the material quite latex, but i was thinking something similiar to the superman suit on superman returns. Which is why i didnt do heavy highlights, but i think ill mess around with that a bit, to see if anything interesting happens with it.
    Thanks so much for those links, the picture helps alot, and im totally gonna read the lighting info after dinner tonight! thanks a ton!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad I could help!

Few more things, you need to remember your light exposure. I almost never use a complete black color, when using the colors correctly, you won't even need black.
    And try avoid using white as lighting and black as shadows, it makes your colors look desaturated, try adding colors, like yellow or orange (depends on the flat color), to your lighting and blue or brown to your shadows.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.