Sketchbook: Lynn's acrylic paintings and studies

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lynn's acrylic paintings and studies

Hey,

I had another account here at CA before. I was "Sillyling" and I had a sketchbook long time ago. Since I lost the email address to the other account, I guess I'll reintroduce myself again.

My name is Lynn and I'm currently 18 years old. I'm currently going to a local CC college. In two years from now, I hope to transfer out of there and go to a bigger art school. (no idea where, yet)

I hope to improve my drawing and painting skills with this sketchbook.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Lynn Yang; December 19th, 2006 at 01:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet! Keep going!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! More, Please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys and gals.

Anyways, I did another painting today. It's one of my grandmom's toy collection.
    I guess I'll be doing more reflective/ shiny things paintings. It's so diffcult getting the colors right.

3 hours- acrylic

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Awww, cute! Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm.... I did a quick study of the eye tonight. There's nothing really to say about it. After all, it's just eyes done in grey scale. x_x The other is a crappy webcam picture that I have been working on for over 2 weeks for my figure drawing class. ^_^;

Anyways, there was an art center speaker that came to my college today. O_o; It does seems like a reallly nice school.... like every other art school under heavy video production and under pretty-ful photo shopping. Luckily I brought my portifolio along with me and I had the art center person look at it.

Let's just say.... I was rejected.

My painting = weak point
    My drawing = strong point

Anyways... I gotta update my portifolio for the next few month. Currently I'm embrassed of showing it cause it's sooooo behind in my skill level as of today and this year. o_O Most of my works were from 3 years ago... O_O;

So:

*more charcoal drawings
    *more pastel works
    *more ink drawings
    *more better pencil drawings
    *more better realistic paintings
    *more personal works
    *more better figure drawings

@_@;

Art center or bust in 2008!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey lynn!

long time no see huh

huh, so i guess you remembered your old account password and stuff

so are you updating this sketchbook from now on?

those first two paintings look really strong, nice rich colours and awesome contrast, the fabric is pretty ambiguous though, you don't really get a sense of what plane its on apart from the way the fruit are sitting. how big are these paintings? sorry but your third one isn't quite as good . it kind of looks like you were painting a character... its really hard but you have to try painting it as if it were a piece of fruit, theres too much life in the bunny....? (i don't know if what i'm saying is true but yea, somethings not right)

the eye studies are really nice, you get a good sense of the top eye lid being on top and the edges of the lids and stuff. you can also tell that the second eye is a dog's.... unless its not in which case its wrong... but it really looks like a dog's eye

i can't really tell from the webcam pic but the portrait is looking good, post a better pic if/when you can

oh and sorry to hear about the rejection but it sounds like you've got some goals, ambitions and motivation since, so just keep painting and drawing and you'll get in no prob

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Krono: Yeah... Actually I did remember the password to this account. xD I'll be updating this sketchbook from now on too.

They're small 9x12 paintings. Normally I work bigger with serious studies (18 x 24). I really should work oil paints.... but I should learn how see colors first.

Actually, that bunny was a still life. I don't think it's bad..... There's too much going on the background and it's realllly white. bleh. :p

Yeah... art center sorta rejected me cause my portiflio wasn't what they were looking for. ^_^; (It's filled with painting of still life, life drawings, and drawings.) They wanted me do the things that I was doing in my last sketchbooks with the cartoon characters and making my portifilio more "fun". In other words, I would have to revamp and redo the entrie portifolio to meet thier standards. -_-;

Funny thing. The other day, I went to the portifilio day at mica. There's one school that offered to pay the full tution for thier merit scholarship competion if I applied.

Ps. It's a cat's eye.

-------------------
    But anyways, I NEED to update. xD I have finals coming up sooo.... I probably won't have time to update this much until it's over. ^_^;

Wip painting.... it's a painting for my design class... I'm supposed to use 3 colors only. o_o; I kinda cheated a little bit with the white....

It's based on

Anyways... some older works...

I haven't been "seriously" drawing in sketchbook.. mostly, I have been getting in the habit of doing 30 sec quick stick man gesture drawings. ^_^'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey that grey scale cat thing is really nice! you captured the face really nicely. with the colour painting are you allowed to mix the three colours before you apply them to the canvas (or whatever your painting on)? at the moment the yellow on the cat sticks out as "straight from the tube" kindof yellow. and also, try and reserve pure white for highlights.

BAH! exams suck! ..... well good luck and get back to drawing and painting as soon as you can

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Of the four cats that I did for my design class, these two are my fav. Let's just say, I half assed it. I didn't spend as much time on these painting project as much I would of liked of... >__<;; I think this project was assigned 3 weeks ago.... But, I ended up doing most of the work during the last 1 1/2 week ago... and one of them was finished tonight. o_O; But anyways, I'm supposed to be writing my essay about my reflection on the project. It's due in a couple of hours from now... To be exact,12 hours from impending doom.... DUM DA DUM...

ARG. I wanna go to ssssssssssssssssllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee epp...

But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I have to stay awake and work on project.

p_o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey lynn, the purply one is my favorite, although i think you lost the form of the body a little, its squished or something, the head is a lot better.also it kind of blends into the background, you got a better contrast between the foreground and background on the browny one. don't worry your not exactly the only one who procrastinates

sleep is for the weak

haha, nah just kidding, but we all know the terror of staying up uber late for assignments, it sucks.....goodluck!

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol.... yeah. There's nothing I can do about the cats now. >_^; I could fix it, but I have to study for my final exams though.

siiiiiiiiiiigh..... I should of spend a little more time on the drawing stage...

<rant>
    But anyways, I have a final exam on this weds that I must study for. I should probably study for it. If I ever choose to be an art proffesor, I believe art classes should NOT have written exam.
    </rant>

Anyways, I'm going to start a long study of oil painting on an 18x 24 canva. This is a quick value study of the still life that I have set up ( bad scanner! It had more contast in my sb) . Right now, I feel the compostion is lacking..... hmm.. What if I put a pearl necklace in there?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last cat paintings are very nice! Post that drawing for figure drawing class!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I especially like the first couple of posts, lots of potential there. Keep them coming.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm, yeah at the moment the still life just seems a little bare, add in as many things as you can without it looking crowded, or start with a whole bunch of stuff and then start taking it away? i dunno, just some other ways you could approach setting it up.

the ellipse at the top of the vase is not so good, it looks like we are looking down on it too much... also it looks like the fan in the background is a lot lighter than the cloth, thats cool but remember that you want as much contrast between forms as you can get, so if you have light thing in the background then you should have dark objects in the foreground, but then that will lead your eye to the background.....

so yeah what i'm trying to say is... move the fan, or get a darker one

i don't know, i'm just thinking as i type.... hopefully this is somewhat helpful

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    =S Actually that oil painting is going to be postpone. I ended up getting asthma attack last night because the solvents, Linseed oil + odorless minreal sprits. NOT GOOD. Does anyone know what are good odorless oil solvent brand that I could use?

I'm probably going to gesso the canva again... The vapors on the oil painting is realllllllllllllllllly stong and it's starting affecting my health. I'm gonna do a acylic study instead.

SO... yeah. o_o; Just a small update.

Krono: Hmm.... Actually, it's a little hard to tell you what the still life looks like now without an actual photo of it. :p But I agree with you. It looks BLAND.

Bojee: That's very nice of you to say that.

H2rra: :p I'll post a picture of it when the semster's over and a buncha of figure drawing from that class. ^^; Right now, I have too much on my hands...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm, well i haven't used oils much at all and the few oils i have used were water based oils (weird huh) but apparently they don't make them anymore due to the chemicals they have to use to get that stuff to work.....? but yeah, when i used them there weren't any odors or vapors, so you might like to track some down if you can.

but why did you say linseed oil + ODORLESS mineral spirits are giving you asthma??? is the room you paint in well ventilated?

anywayz, nothing wrong with acrylic

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SillyLing- Lynn, you don't need to use solvents to paint with oils, I just use linseed oil with a touch of cobalt drier when I'm using brushes, and I don't use anything when I paint with a knife. You should definitely still work in a well ventillated room but that might help. You can clean your brushes with vegetable oil, or I use simple green. I'm sure there is more online about other ways you could approach it. Lots of people have the same sensitivity to oil paint, but still paint with them, you've just got to control your enviroment better.

Last edited by Bojee; December 19th, 2006 at 11:28 AM.
    "absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Krono: :p Well, it smelled realllllly bad-- trust me on this. It smelled like a mix of rotting eggs and dead fish to me dispite having an air pufier sitting next to me.( I guess that wasn't enough).. :p I spent 2 hours gagging on the smell. lol.

I have those water-mixable oils, those don't bother me too much. Just that I don't like the texture of it... They don't have the creamy texture that normal oil paints have to them.

Bojee- AH HA! Excalty, one more thing why I hate oil painting... there's no one way to correctly oil paint. ^_^; I heard you could use vegatable oil to paint. Maybe I could use just linseed oil next time and I'll be fine... I donno.

---------

SO, yeah. No updates here. It's just a big o' sketch dump from figure drawing class from this semster. All of the pictures from the beginning of the semster are kinda bad. XP Anyways I'm gonna take another figure drawing course in the spring... ^_^ Maybe I'll have a better teacher and can actually teacher me how to draw gud... o_o;

Midterm Assignment- Draw yourself

Draw a cloth hanging over something

The final project

The still life that I'm working on...

My studio/ bedroom ~ It's alittle bit messy. p_p;

Last edited by SillyLing; December 21st, 2006 at 01:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm, well what you do is, you get one of those pine scented air fresheners that hang from a string and you pierce your nose and stick the air freshener in there.... simple!

i hate when tutors are never actually good at teaching you anything, i find with most people you really have to probe them and nag them to get some helpful advise... it sucks i know....

the first selfportrait looks really nice... but something seems a little weird with the placement of the neck on the body, perhaps? your right shoulder looks longer than your left? i could be wrong though, sometimes things just look funny in real life

hmm, with the fabric... its good but theres something a little unfinished about it(and i don't know where i should look), i think if you just had a few areas that were a little more defined it would give more of a focal point

life drawing looking cool, you've got the proportions really good. i like the third one the best. the first one, with the guy feels quite rigid though, it looks like hes almost drawn with straight lines.... if you use more curvy wavy lines it will give more life to your figures, although your females do seem better in this respect already so yeah.

the "final project" one looks good, in particular the hands and the soft toy thing, the lighting really punches through on those bits. the head seems a bit flat in comparison.... you could have made the right side of the face (our left) a little more in shadow perhaps?

the still life looks like it has potential, but i say add in one or two more things... try make it work. the forms read a lot better from the shadows cast on the fan... i don't know if you changed the lighting from your drawing, but i looks better . have you considered draping the pearls over something, they don't look so good at that angle.... anyway....

cool studio/room , i would really be shocked if any art student in the world had a tidy room aye.... the two just don't mix

cool, keep up the good work!

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kronos: LOL.

I'm not really sure about the 1st self-portrait one....:p I think it's wierd looking cause I was wearing sweat shirt... then again. Otherwise, I have nooo idea. X_x;

I think I'm going to fix my sister's picture tommarrow. I really think it needs alota work before I should submit it to the colleges.

---

Eh... more paintings.... something tells me that I should work on painting just the values before I move onto colors. -_-; I think I hit the correct values on the the inhaler more then the stuffed dog.

Last edited by SillyLing; December 21st, 2006 at 01:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay! Hershey Kisses. ^_^;

9x12" 5-6 hours?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Lynn, these last ones are looking really good! especially the last hershies kisses one, the highlights read really well as tin foil type stuff. the shadows don't really read instantly because the form they follow isn't really apparent outside the shadows??? does that make sense? but yeah, well done on that one nice control of value

the asthma inhaler is goodish... i think you've done it really well actually, its just that its quite a strange series of shapes in real life so its a little confusing, but like i said i think you've done a good job with it.

the fuzzy teddy dog thing is really nice! you got the impression of texture down very well good subtle highlights here and there... the only thing that doesn't read convincingly is the ear thats sticking up, that dark bit looks like the darkest value in the piece and sticks out... it actually comes forward rather than recede like shadows should the ear and the arm in the backgrounds aren't that clear either but i think thats just cos they are very similar values so you kinda get away with it. do you take photos and make them B&W to compare value?

anyway, nice work... me thinks i see some improvement!

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you ought to try a smaller brush? I get the feeling with most of your painting that you could've gotten sharper focus and finer details but was impeded by your brush. I maybe wrong though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Krono- Actually.... No, I didn't really use a camera and compare the black and white values because I didn't think about doing it at the time. I probably should do that in the future. >_^'

@Jeri- I have liner brush that is much smaller then the normal brushes then I use. I -think- it's harder to control smaller brushes that's why I don't use them much. =S I guess I've have to go brush shopping sometimes... ^_^;

Anyways, I just came home from NYC and I finished the other painting that I did the other night before I left. I think this is one of my crappish paintings that I've done soooo far. >_<; The glass really kicked my butt this time...

OOH! Happy holidays. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay. Another painting from me... Honestly, this painting was extremely frustrating... Drawing the bottle wasn't hard however mixing the correct colors is still the problem for me.

I still feel this painting didn't do justice at all. I exggerated alot of colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Lynn, i have to say, your not picking the easiest things to paint so good on you and don't get discouraged or anything, your getting better. if you want some more accurate crits, perhaps post a photo of the setup too? course you don't have to, but it would help the critters

the reflected colours do seem a little too vibrant in the last one (in a not so convincing way)

and the cast shadow on the backdrop needs to have some of its own colour in it, at the moment you could interpret it as a big grey object on top of the sheet....don't be afraid to have a lot of colour in shadows, remember shadows are the absence of light not colour......even though colour is light , but i'm sure you know what i mean...

anyway keep up the good work, MORE MORE MORE

PS are you going to keep posting drawings here too?

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some very nice paintings here. The B&W ones particularly stand out as good to me. In general, I think the paintings with colour are a little too bright Using a neutral grey to reduce the chroma in places might improve things.

Very good work, and I also like the portrait drawings earlier in the thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Krono- kay. ^_^; I'll try and include photo of the actual set up and the drawing/paintings. I get the shadows part.... -_-; I really need to work on them more as I'm paintings them. x_X;

@term8or- Thanks! I'll experiment with neutral grey on my next painting.

I haven't done any painting for the last few day. I was busy doing a long pencil drawing for my college portifilio. sob.... p_p

Anyways it's still an wip... I think I have to push the value more. I think the photo of the pic is a bit washed out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the angle from the photo better

ummm, i don't know what else to say..... the drawing is good...... it feels like that white pyramid shape thing is a little awkward, its nearly impossible for me to tell from just a photo, but yeah, some bits just don't look right. like the oblong bit seems wonky nd the pyramid thing looks shorter in the photo.

the shadows on the hand cast look a little weak. i know its a different angle, but it looks like there are is more shadow creeping up the hand in the photo.

anyway, cool! are you doing a painting of this? lookin forward to it

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.