Following

EOW #42 - Inside ShoeMaker Shop - Add Dimension - plan it for 3D & Sculpt

Hello and welcome to the...

Round #42

Topic:
    Inside Shoemaker's Shop

What is it all about? I think it's time your drawinds get ... usefull
    Let's see if your concepts are inspiring for the 3D people.
    See the other challenges these guys were invovled in.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78749
    see page 2 also.. and keep going.

In about 2 weeks we should give them some concepts and all the other drawings they need to model in 3D or simply SCULPT our enviroenments.
    I remember taking a walk with Sharpshooter to the miniature museum in Lyon - maybe we can design such things here.

Sharpshooter - can you fill in some of you pictures man?

Picture it as a sculpture too. Make all the drawings a 3D guy will need (more like the plan and add extra details)
    December is comming - the shoemaker's place.. can be a nice start for your Christmass card.. and it it gets built in 3D and you get a nice render.. it shouldnt be too bad , rigth? Or.. a sculpture of the place.. hmmm

Deadline:
    SUNDAY, Dec. 3rd 2006

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Oblio; November 26th, 2006 at 03:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here you go. I'll search for more and post them tomorow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice photos, Sharp. Those rooms have lots of character to them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So you want a detailed environment shot + a overhead plan perhaps?
    Can anyone explain what the shoemakers shop really is?
    Is it like a shop where they sell shoes or more like the shoemakers home?
    Because i see a bath and diningroom in the snapshots, maybe stupid questions but i am not familiar with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the shoemaker's shop - it's whatever you want it to be. His place where he makes and repairs the shoes, or the store, or the secret room where he is trying his crazy shoes on dead bodies.

The photos sharpshooter took are from MINIATURES. Those rooms are as big as .. your sketchbook. They have character and nice light and everything.
    No matter the angle you were looking at them ... you could see something interesting and they had DEPTH in the meaning that you could always see something that will give more meanings to the place.

Sharpshooter posted these pictures so we can imagine it BUILT by the 3D guys... in miniature just like these ones.
    Also... we should think about the digital guys who need more details as they are facing every vertex of the enviroenments we will design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this topic doesnt seem like it would be easy for a 3d artist to recreate. probably the worst idea for 3d art in the environment section. dont mean to be rude or anything.

with that said i wouldnt mind modeling a factory type setting with an assembly line.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by InFlux
    with that said i wouldnt mind modeling a factory type setting with an assembly line.
    well... if it makes shoes.. why not

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my attempt so far, please give me crit's on this.
    My first work of this kind ever but it was very fun to do, i will join the weekly activities more, it gets me out of my usual ideas.

"This is where the mysterious shoemaker work who in the eyes of the locals seems to be a nice old man but in disguise works on shoes day and night in he's shoe-shaped house, but he can always make up a good excuse for the smoke coming up from the "shoe".

So basicly it's pretty free how the modeller/sculptor want to approach this, if somebody is interested.

The thing with the tower is that he sit's in the work chair that can go around the tower at all heights and there he works in different stages on different levels of the tower, all tools and supplies are stored in the tower.

The curtain covers his workspace in case of unexpected visitors.

Go easy on me, first time i'm in the EOW, especially when it has to be ready for a modeller/sculptor.

Last edited by Lazy; November 23rd, 2006 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow thats alot more creative than anything i could have thought up... very nice man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oblio...I want to do this. However, there is no way by Monday...can this be extended? Since there is only one entry now, and only one other expressing interest...I beg you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lazy that is very cool! The chair would be more stabile if it was attached to the walls for the shoe. A spiral track along the wall would be better than a long pole you have right now.

I think the idea of your shoe house is so cool, that you really should do a hero piece. A wonderful render of the interior!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deadline extended.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblio
    Deadline extended.
    Thanks Chief, you rock!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lazy - that think looks real good - but you know the 3D guys will scream for details! Maybe we can delilver them something - i'm planning to give them a whole month to built this enviroenment.
    Thx.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    InFlux : Hey thanks man, glad you liked it.

dragon4lunch : Thanks!, That's a good idea, and more convinient, but i want it more comical and wonky so i think im sticking with the first.

Oblio : Thanks, yeah i understand what you mean, but if anyone would like to try on mine, they would have free hands when it comes to the detail's

Last edited by Lazy; November 28th, 2006 at 06:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lazy i like your concept a lot, very cozy house. But i have to say not everything is clear and its a bit confusing.. it's in the detailing i guess.
    Can't wait to see what others will come up with, please start drawing

X

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Big 'O' -

I'm deep into it, and will have it by the deadline no problem (at least part of it). However, I do have some questions.

1. I noticed that the File Manager does not allow PDF's to be attached that are larger than 2K...can that be modified to allow larger PDF files, or is that locked down due to the SPAM clowns?

2. It does not seem that AutoCAD files are allowed to be posted either. For the purpose of modeling these things, the AutoCAD files would be immensly benificial, but I do not have an FTP site to post them for download. Would it be possible to send them to you for posting, or should anyone who wants them e-mail a request to me, and I clog up their In-box with Megs upon Megs of .dwg files?

Just so you have an idea of what I am working towards, I will post a copy of my plan so far... All I have down is the retail portion of the business, but I will generate the "workshop" area in the coming days.

I'd love to see this developed, and I'll probably talk to my buddy at work about joining in to model it in his free time. In addition to the Merchandise Plan that I have provided here, I plan on including a ceiling plan, floorcovering plan, elevations, sections, details, color and material specifications, lighting specifications, loose fixture cutsheets, and perhaps a sketch of the 3D environment.

Like you have implied..."its all about the details".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sundance! Looking good so far, i could learn from your example about detail, will be exciting to see the finished piece.

Cat : Yeah i see what you mean, iv'e learned my lesson, yeah i want to see more entries, good to see Sundance is on it, but we need more!!!

Is it always so empty here? People crowd over at Character/Creature of the week...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Lazy,

I don't think it is always this slow in here. However, something I have noticed is people tend to shy away from things they are not comfortible with. A bunch of folks grew up drawing comic book characters and monsters, so they are naturally inclined to lean that way here.

Oblio seems to be pushing the comfort zone of pretty much everybody with challenges like this. For me...it's my day job. I am an Interior Designer for Retail Stores, but I figured I could at least provide a bunch of expertise/information for others to use for a modeling project. Plus, if they live in Dallas, we are hiring

I usually run around in the 3CH world...because it is always a compositional nightmare, and for me that is what makes it worth doing.

My biggest suggestion for your's (which I like very much by the way) is to start by at least providing overall dimensions. Give the length of the shoe, give the height of the shoe, give the width of the shoe...think about the proportions of a real shoe. Work with those proportions as a guide, think about the shoemakers required workspace. How much space does he/she/it need to move around? A general rule in today's society is 36" works for doorways, 44" is a minimum for corridors, 60" is a minimum for turnaround zones. Of course, all of this is thrown out the window if you are developing a Halfling shoemakers workshop, where the little dudes only grow to be 3'-0" tall.

Those are just basics, mine may be overboard on detail...but I am hopeing to give what it would take to build the store. That is what you have to think about when you do this...do you want to design it and have it built to your expectations? Or, do you want to give a general idea and have them interprete and build what they think is right?

Either way can work, but I promise you that the end results will be drastically different.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think some people might have some end of term workload pressures or something. I admit this is a challenging challenge, but the last one had a brief that amounted to "draw virtually any environment you can fit a character into" and still very few entered. It hasn't been slow like this for very long. I'm hoping to doctor up my entry for last EOW and also come up with something for this on Friday and Saturday after my end of the month billing pressures have subsided.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think these challenges are cool. But you might get more participation by using more generic themes like "cottage in the woods", "castle", "spaceship(interior)".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone,

Well after participating in the CHOW last week, I decided to partake in the Environments this week. I just loved the idea of a shoemaker's shop, and instantly thought of a scene like this. Some inspiration came back from the Redwall series I used to read, oh, years ago.. but it seemed fitting for a scene like this, hence the furry woodland creature. Sorry it's not more technical of a painting for the modelers, it's more of a pleasure for me to figure out what it would look like in its lit and rendered state. As you can see too, it's slightly unfinished in areas, and I'd love to add more tools and shoes to the desk...but alas, it is Sunday, and I've gone and run out of time.

So please enjoy! I'll post up some process pics if you'd like this week.

Cheers,

Jensen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone - i have been under some sort of "too much work" again - and i was not the host i should have been.

I will make the poll tomorrow.
    Sundance - just post renders and all - in the end - we want ONE picture that will go to the poll.
    All the other guy who will want to build it - they can receive your files. It's SO good to have them. (last IDW challenge - we needed a bigger ortho but.. none was available)

I will start the 3D challenge with what we have for now - thank you everyone for taking part of this.
    PLEASE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THE 3D GUYS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... i had a cool idea... but no time to execute it... =(

maybe next time.

~chasing whims is not always a waste of time~

sketchjunk thread give me a MOO!!!–CATLsketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, new topic please!!! Jensen, that is one sweet entry to round up this competition (usually a lot more people participate, so enter again, please, we like having strong competitors here!).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing work Jensen! I love it, great rendering and idea... very well thought out. I hope to see more of your stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely try and partake in more of these. Looking forward to seeing your entries in the future as well!

Patrick Jensen - Metavisuals.com | Facebook | Twitter | CGHub

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That last environment looks great, Jensen. I'd love to see a process shot, i always have had trouble with interiors. Do you model it out first? or just go for it with perspective lines? good work.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oblio, it's December 6th now (Nikolaustag here in Germany). Howabout you give us a new topic already?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.