What Size Brushes?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question What Size Brushes?

I received my Tablet (Intuos 3) and I am disappointed with my progress. I thought I could draw much better, but I just can't get the hang of Tablets but I WANT to do virtual drawings-paintings because how flexible it is (with effects etc) that can really enlighten your drawings and or paintings.

I was wondering was size brush you use for lets say pencil art. Right now I am using some sort of wedged / diamond shape that is Brush Size 5 (Photoshop CS2). Is that too big, too small? On the dot? Or is it personal preference?

I also cannot understand the concept of shading on a computer. On paper, I can shade very nicely but on the computer, I don't know how to apply a big fat brush of 1 color and make it seem like shading? Plus, the smudge tool is not working very well for me since I find it just distorts the pixels rather than mixing colors with one another.

What do you think I can do? =( and what are some of your preferences?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first, you shouldn't be blind on how big your brushes or what brushes you need.
    try out the really basic round brush in photoshop, set size to the presure.
    based on how big the canvas is, the brush is of course realtive in size, so using that 5px brush on a a4 canvas would make reealy thin lines.
    but try working a bit bigger, that might help, you can start just droping out forms and stuff in small format but then, often you want to bring up the canvas some sizes (That's great thing about doing it digital!).

and shading, are you talking cartoon now? i'm not into cell shading at all, but if we talk about usual shading and blending color, you could use the same brush as above, maybe pic a bigger size, set the opacity low and start "building" upp color, and on the fly using the ALT key for eyedropping color so you can go another step an make that nice blend.
    i think i saw some tutorial on this before? here at CA.

kepp away from the smudge, there is good ways to use it though, but thoose comes often later on, so try using a basic brush, i tihnk that will learn you the most about painting, setting it to different flow and opacity, play around with it, do some blending, or other exercises.

hope something was useful of this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogle
    I was wondering was size brush you use for lets say pencil art. Right now I am using some sort of wedged / diamond shape that is Brush Size 5 (Photoshop CS2). Is that too big, too small? On the dot? Or is it personal preference?
    I use a Pencil size of 3px in photoshop, assuming you are viewing at 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle
    I also cannot understand the concept of shading on a computer. On paper, I can shade very nicely but on the computer, I don't know how to apply a big fat brush of 1 color and make it seem like shading? Plus, the smudge tool is not working very well for me since I find it just distorts the pixels rather than mixing colors with one another.
    It sounds like you need to turn up the pressure sensitivity on your tablet (in your windows control panel there is a tablet control application). "Wacom Tablet Properties" --> Tip Feel --> Turn it up towards firm. You then can choose a brush you think is right, and add layers of color. It is just like using pencils, where you add layers of graphite.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.