Eakin's "The Gross Clinic" to leave Philadelphia

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Eakin's "The Gross Clinic" to leave Philadelphia

There was a recent purchase of the painting "The Gross Clinic", done by Thomas Eakins in 1875, for $63m. This painting was painted to show the medical and teaching advancements that made Philadelphia great at the time. It even depics a Thomas Jefferson University proffesor teaching his students.

This painting is entwined with the city of philadelphia. however if an organization in the city doesnt raise $63m by december 26th the painting will be on display in the National Gallery then move to the Walmart Museum when it opens.

Person i find this deplorable on Jefferson University's part. Selling the painting for the purpose of expanding and bettering the school is one thing. But to not give the Philadelphia Art Museum or another philadelphia organization first rights to purchase the painting in order to keep it in the city in which it was painted to represent.

The silent sale of the piece had a caviat that gave a philadelphia organization 45 days to match the sale price. 45 days is no where near enough time to raise that kind of money so it looks as if it will be leaving. Hopefully the Art and Culture coalition of Philadelphia can block the sale.

What is everyone elses take on this?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My take is: this painting is like any other master painting. It's like saying Bougereaux's should all be in France, Canaletto's should be in England or Venice... Hasn't this painting been in Philadephia for more than a hundred years? maybe it's time others can see it. It's not like they are selling it to be destroyed. And they ARE giving someone in Philadephia the chance to buy it. Which is better than most auctions do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i see your point. But the painting was painted about philadelphia. Its a tribute to the city. I believe it should stay in the city. Preferably at the Philadelphia Museum of art. If Bougereaux painted a painting honoring the city of Paris, would you not think it should be in a paris museum?

Also giving someone in philadelphia a chance to buy it is just covering thier asses. 45 days in no where near enough time to raise $63m.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know about you,but I'd LOVE to see it in the National Gallery, as I won't be visiting Philly any time soon.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.