A wee gift

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A wee gift

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following

A wee gift

It occurs to me that I critique a lot of other people’s work here, but that I have hardly given you guys opportunity to critique my work. So, for your critiquing enjoyment, here is one of my longer daily paintings. Oil paints, about 2.5 hours, from observation. :-)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the position of this piece to give the shadow room...I don't see anything amis at all with it but then again I wasn't over your shoulder...it seems like you have these down pat have you been thinking of doing a larger object for a daily (weekly?) or at least layering several objects together on top of one another?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Peanut! I do plan to start getting into a bigger project soon. This one was a struggle, but I feel like I've had enough successes in a row that I had better up the challenge level. :-)

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The curls of ribbon don't feel quite so delicate as they should, the brush strokes tend to be a bit too thick. Otherwise it's looking great though, nice job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, this is really nice, the purples go good against the yellows.

A question about oils: Do they flow and blend easier than acrylics? And do you think It is better to get established in acrylics before going to oils?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    acrylics such
    to quote Mr Whitaker

its the difference between paintng with butter, and painting with toothpaste....

its a lovely lil present...way sweeter thatn the one Sunny wrapped" for Red

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I did not know that was done in oils. Impressive.

Seedling, have you thought of enhancing it a bit for the web via Photoshop's level tool or other image adjustment tools? I assume you took a photo of the painting than scan it, right?

Personally, I just think it would look "fresher" if the values where on a higher scale than it is now.

How big is your canvas?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my big crit for you, would be to watch your edges, none of them are very well defined. The edge closest too us is also bowed, and I'm not so sure that was intentional. Especially the edges on the ribbon, it makes it far less delicate looking. also the highlights on the ribbon look too white. nice handling of the reflective packaging...that must have been tricky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've gotta say I don't really see anything wrong at all, considering what the subject is. I mean, even if it isn't photographic, or if it doesn't look like the original subject, it looks great to me. Seriously sharp work, sorry I couldn't crit it, but like I said, I think I'd be grabbing randomly at straws. Good work, keep it up.

"Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    >>My Sketchbook<<
    >>My Homepage<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the feedback! :-)

Subtle squid, you’re right about the ribbons. They drove me a bit batty, and I gave up on them a bit sooner than I should have. FlipMcgee, I usually don’t have much time to fiddle with my PhotoShop files, since, er, I upload and post my images from work. You’re right though – if I had the time I would get my photos color- and value-adjusted a bit better than the current hack job. The painting surface is something like six by eight inches. Texahol, yeah, for the life of me I couldn’t figure out what color to make the ribbon hilights. I’m still wondering if the solution is in yet another tube of paint. :-P The reflective wrapper took a lot of trial and error. I’ll work on those edges in the next painting. . . Hytopsis and Chaosrocks, thanks!

Drd, about the oils – well, they’re just more oily than acrylics. ;-) Seriously, when I first tried oils, I was deeply entrenched in acrylics, and I just wanted to chuck the oil-paints out the window because none of the paint would stay put! I think it’s best to jump straight in to whichever medium sounds best to you.

Do they flow and blend easier than acrylics? Hahahahahahahah! Um, yes. :-)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.