IDW 0023: Superhero/villain Vehicle ORTHO [VOTING]

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for the best design and/or ortho:

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sogbad

7 23.33%
  • Flip

3 10.00%
  • Act.Appalled

0 0%
  • D-Holme

13 43.33%
  • casec11

3 10.00%
  • Supialoctopod

0 0%
  • Sali

4 13.33%
  • PianoForte

0 0%
  • Devere

2 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Topic: Superhero/villain Vehicle ORTHO

Brief:

1. (Re)design a vehicle for a superhero or supervillain (existing or not). Examples: Batmobile, X-Men Jet.

2. It must include an orthographic, which will then be used for the 3D challenge. Perspective views are optional.

3. No 3D, wait for the 3D challenge.

-------------------

Sogbad
    Punisher Mobile
    Punishers muscle car / sports car mongral with big bumbers to smash the bad guys...

-------------------

Flip
    Blade Muscle Car

-------------------

Act.Appalled
    The HellCycle

-------------------

D-Holme
    B.P.R.D Flier
    Believed to be developed from a highly modified Horton Ho 231 this prototype airframe was recovered from a research facility in the South German forests by Allied Special Forces in 1945.

Initial classification of the craft proved difficult and Air Force handed the vessel over to the B.P.R.D special organisation for study. Investigation into the vessel showed that the airframe served mainly as a support function to supplement unknown powers of levitation created by the stone at the centre of the vessel. It is believed that this stone was recovered by Axis Desert troopers in Western Egypt from an undisclosed location in the Hyrx dune-sea.

After careful trials understanding of the vessel grew and it was pronounce to be benign. In the Spring of 1951 the vessel was transfered to the B.P.R.D operations section to serve as an agent transport. Used by B.P.R.D teams on special assignment to support famous agents such as Hellboy and Liz Sherman the vessel served well. With vertical take-off and landing capabilities and a top speed greater than that of most conventional aircraft this craft is a transport without compare, able to swiftly carry a full team of agents to any location in the world.

Still in use today the vessel continues to serve well although budget constraints limit its supply of fuel. Through its service strange traits appeared in its operation, such as the fact it flies quicker North-South than East-West, the causes of which have never been satisfactorily explained.

-------------------

casec11
    Speed Racer

-------------------

Supialoctopod
    Freeze Cruiser

-------------------

Sali
    Vi 2006

-------------------

PianoForte
    The Green Lantern

-------------------

Devere
    Devere's Super hero vehicle
    ok here it is my superhero/ villain vehicle design. I decided to go with a spherical shape (egg) because of its adventages as oppose to a dsign with joint surfaces. these advantages being that the egg is an aerodynamic shape that allows good airflow, made for those chases whether your trying to get the bad guy or your trying to get away. it also allows for even distribution of force throughout the entire structure since you can't afford to have your vehicle breaking on you in those harsh battles and chases when projectiles ae flying at you from everywhere. lastly the tank track so the vehicle is pretty much set for all terain,Superheroes/vilains of today aren't always in the city to they need a vehicle that can be brought to anylocation and driven over any surface. Note the holes and the vents there to allow heat to escape as with a heavy vehicle ad most of the engine inside it will tend to get hot, haven't drawn them in put there is a gps system on the inside and an lcd that transmits images to the driver, also used for night vision etc.

-------------------

Special Mention: PianoForte finally put in an entry!

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Devere, while not the most impressive illustration wise, I like the design the best and could see it as a great developed illustration. Good one.

There are several good pieces here, so don't think just because I'm brief here and only mention one name, yours aren't good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hard to comment on the various designs without knowing much about the super-heroes - wikipedia here we come.

I found that the most difficult part of the design was to represent the nature of the character through the vehicle.

Sogbad - from what I have read on the Punisher this car seems to fit his mentality well.

Flip - I liked the plan view but the profile seems somewhat clumsy. Some more details could enhance the relationship with the character.

Act.Appalled - this is from the ghost rider comics? Overall I could not see any great divergence form the existing designs. A larger image could have helped you bring out distinct details.

Casec11 - a clean ortho which shows what a modeller would need to start a model. I was not sure what hero it related to.
    (Edit - Casec11 - ah' my quick search let me down - it makes much more sense now)

Supialoctopod - seems to be a good start for the concept but I would liked to have seen more details.

Sali - an original design with a nice use of the Chernobyl photo references. Fairly bling'd up with its static hubcaps and lit wheels.

PainoForte - a sleek vehicle, nice sports car lines and a good clean ortho to work from.

Devere - some good design details and consideration for use. It would have been nice to have seen some more details bring the design together.

Last edited by D-Holme; November 20th, 2006 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My entry was speed racers car

my vote goes to D-holme as his design is very in depth, with mutiple views and information

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D-holme - you got my vote.. it felt like the vehicle suited the mood for Hellboy's reminiscant world war 2 era perfectly while still being very futuristic. It reminds me of the old german prototype flying wings, as it seems was the intention given the background.

Sogbad - I love the style of the car, but I'm not quite sure if it's "dark" enough for what I'd imagine the Punisher driving.. perhaps if it were as simple as a darker color.. but still, it looks great

Flip - The car definately fits the bill for what Blade would drive, but it seems rather rough in appearance.

Act.Appalled - I like how the bike seems to be transitioning into more of a beast than a bike, but perhaps that line could have been blurred further to really make it obvious that this is by no means a normal bike.

Casec11 - Definately digging the speed racer car Not quite sure what that first bump is on the front's wheel flairs though - it looks like an air vent, but the topdown view doesn't show it.

Supialoctopod - This car was clearly meant for Mr. Freeze or to replace the back to the future car - either way, I like its shape but would have liked to have seen more details / views.

Sali - Definately original.. I like the style of it I guess it would have helped in the case of original heros / villans to know more of them / see them to get a feel as to whether or not the car suits them. Oh well

PainoForte - Very clean ortho, though I wonder if the wheel wells would ever allow for the front wheels to actually turn given the lack of space for them.

Devere - Hm.. the design looks interesting, but I'm having trouble with the conceptual justifications for it.. Technically this shape is not aerodynamic at all; in reality a circular rear end is one of the most turbulent shapes you can have beyond just a literal flat back, and in reality the shape of the front has a near negligable effect on drag when compared to the back - a flat front with a long tapered back would be more areodynamic than an egg.

Eh.. sorry.. I'm just finishing up with Fluid Mechanics so this is all we talk about. The rest of the stuff makes enough sense from an engineering perspective - my only thoughts would be to perhaps extend the treads longer so it doesn't just roll over.. I worry the design would be topheavy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote goes to Casec and flip, solid designs.

My late poke at it, didnt have time to produce it earlier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kujo your completely right about the aerodynamics. Completely forgot about the whole fluid dynamics thing, actually one of my teachers reminded me today. I apologize for that it was late when I created it, did notice that the deadline was saturday, so I drew up a few concepts. asked a friend for his opinion and we both decided against just doing the redesign of the batmobile concept I had. so I went with this. Although my reasoning wasn't too good at night when I did it so I went bad to he fallacy of round being aerodynamic. I know pretty bad for a third year ID student even worst is the escuse. but as soon as I get my ellipse templates back I'm planning to go all out on the next competition. (a friend in my class borrowed them he's entering the world automotive competition.) As for the designs here I think everyone did a pretty decent job.
    Sali in particular has quite the unique design I would just recommend that he tone it down a bit. too many colours make the drawing look busy. its best to keep a concept more nuetral for the most part as a client may not like the specific colour you are using.

Sogbad- you have a really fundesign going on there, I like it, just need to step back a little and take a look at some reference material to get your form reading a little better.

Flip- nice pastel work and design you got going on there very fitting for blade. just need to tighten up the tire work a bit.

casec11- love the speed racer in your design just really need to get some reference and think more about geometric forms when rendering.

act.appalled-very ghost rider perfect superhero vehicle with its own super powers. just need to tighten it up a bit, and maybe lighten up on the background a bit.

Supialoctopod-again interesting design but I think what wold help you is to study a bit of geometric forms so your painting can effieciently portray the shape you have in mind.

PianoForte- very sleek design you got here I would suggest looking on some photo reference to get the glosy surface you were searching for.

D-holme-I realy like onlything I would suggest is try varying your line work a little to punch it out a bit and again some study of geometric forms for the shading.

Vida- I really like your design just need to try varying your line weight a bit and possibly add in a little colour maybe its just a small rectnagular background.

overall I'd say yoou guys have tonnes of potential. just keep on drawing check out the refernces available on he site. cardesignnews.com offers some good tips on rendering and drawing cars along with Scott Robertsons site.

if you every have any questions or need help with anything don't be afraid to drop me a line.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3D Challenge: Round #3 is now on. Check it out, feel free to take your pieces into 3D.

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you D-Holme, Kujo, and Devere for your comments and critiques.

In terms of overall design, yea I think I stuck too much to the design that is current to the Ghost Rider comics. I think i was trying to make it look nice illustration, and not thinking a whole lot about the overall design. But my technical ability in Photoshop isn't even close to being able to churn out a nice piece.

But I will continue to do these each week, hopefully if time permits, and keep working hard and one day I will post some awe inspiring pieces, but till then, my work continues!!

Thanks again for the crits guys, keep them coming.

My crits

Sogbad - I know this was just a quickie for you, since I have seen your stuff previously and know you can pump out nice pieces. This felt more like a WIP. In terms of design, i think you could have played more with different shapes and proportions, like the having the car very front biased, as to where most of the damage would occur.

Flip - I like the idea of Blade having a vehicle. I think you were just lacking finishing touches and detail.

D-Holme - Overall a very clear and clean ortho. The design however felt too much like the stealth bomber except missing the tail-fins. I think you also could have varied the shapes and balanced the straights and curves, everything feels too curvy.

casec11- resdesiging the mach 5 was a cool idea, I think you had some major potential with this one, i think it is just missing some final polish.

Supialoctopod - I think your piece also had some potential, but it needed some more thought into the overall design, the shapes are all to similar.

Sali - Not a bad concept, but the main issue that is destroying the piece is the super high reflections, observe where in real life reflections on cars appear strongest and then fade out.

Pianoforte - I think you could have pushed your values and pulled out some hightlights and darks some more, everything is flatting out too much in the two views.

Devere - I think you could have played around more with the design, the egg overall is not a bad choice, but right now it just looks like an egg with tank tread attached to the side.

Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry I dont have a lot of time for the crits and compliments right now (reason why you havent seen me around)
    voted for Sali, multi ortho with good rendering/painting skilz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    d-holme gets my vote, and none of you shall ever know why!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 1