Sketchbook: Chad's Sketches & Studies 2007 (**UPDATED 1-26-2007**)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chad's Sketches & Studies 2007 (**UPDATED 1-26-2007**)

Just a simple little sketch that I did when I was stuck on another project. Instead of getting frustrated and taking a walk or eating a sammich, I'll just have a fun sketching period that will help my brain to decompress a little bit. I let my subconscious do all the thinking for me on the other stuff.

Anway, I'm going to see if I can't make full drawing out of this one after I do some revisions and all that other fun sh--stuff.

Oh well, I just thought I'd share it.

Also, I happened to stumble across this old sketchbook of mine. Well, old being about a year old. Anway, I found this rather nice rendering of the chest and arm muscles study I did in it and figure I'd put it here as well.

I'll try and post more here once I get more time.

Last edited by Chad Blevins; October 5th, 2009 at 11:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another sketch I did. This is just something I did when I was re-exploring how to draw "in-mass" about a month or so ago... Basically, it's drawing the the areas of shadow on an object or person/animal. It was something I thought of doing when I read this interview with Tommy Lee Edwards back in June. I've got more than this one sketch, I've just got to sort through my library of discs to find 'em somewhere.

Oh! And here are some layout comps for an illustration I did back in September. It's in two parts, but for the final I made a composit (or is it "composite" with an "e"?) shot with the cyborg guy front and center, but I guess you probably could figure that out. This was when I first started to try and utitlize the drawing in-mass idea. I'll fish out the final later.

Last edited by Chad Blevins; October 5th, 2009 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Chad. You are getting a lot better. You black and white stuff is pretty solid, I want to see more....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply, B. I'm tryin' to get better. But I've got my issues like any artist, really. You're input really means a lot though. When you get home for winter break, we'll talk. At any rate, I've got more B&W stuff, I just gotta get the motivated to put 'em on here. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figure studies. These are from March, April and May. I'm not doing any figure classes this semester in school. Next semester I will, and the cool thing...it'll be costumed figure drawin'. Oooooh, yeah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a layout that I finished a few days ago for a project that I'm currently working on. It's pretty darn close to the photograph that I drew it from. Now all I've got to do is transfer it over to the illustration board. YAY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a couple of figure studies I did. I wasn't given a long time, just a few minutes to put the marks on the paper. Excuse the nastiness of the scan. I really should've taken a digital slide of it. My bad.

And here are a few works in progress. I'm doing a six panel spread, showing mood, in this case, a guy's anger excelating. These aren't in order, so excuse me if they don't make sense to you yet.

Last edited by Chad Blevins; October 5th, 2009 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chad. These are looking good. I read your message, (going to reply to that e-mail pretty soon), and Im checkin out your new stuff. Your figure studies are pretty damn fine, good proportion, now you just need to start show the "volume" of the figure and move away from being heavily line dependent. Also, a lot of your figures have too many lines, or segmented strokes. This means instead of using a confident thick to thin single stroke, you use many little strokes in its place. So go out on a limb and get more confident with the strokes you chose to put down on the paper.

As for the 3 of 6 panels, they are looking nice but I do have some big concerns that can easily be resolved. First of all is your line weight and lack of atmosphere, two major major things for showing mood, which is what you mentioned was your focus in these pieces. All the lines are the same thickness in stroke, you need to accent some areas to show tension, especially to get the escalation of anger across to the viewer. If you want this to be a strickly black and white piece, no variations of grey, then show some shape! There is no shape, except for that big black shape in the second piece, you need more of that because if you squint your eyes, the image is completly lost. Also, I don't see much of a difference between the second and third frames, even though I havent seen the other three. It is basically the same point of view and composition, I would of liked to see maybe a different perpective, maybe looking up at the character or maybe the focus shifting off of the face onto something else that could be essential to telling the story. I don't yet know what is going on in this sequence except that he looks pretty pissed off, maybe it will make more sense to me when I see the other 3 all in sequence.

Either way, you are progressing pretty nicely Chad. Keep drawing, I mean draw until your fingers bleed, and draw with your idles work present using it as a model to aid your progression. The more artists work you find, admire, and emulate, the better your work will get and the more diverse.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.