What kind of artists do you love/feel kindly towards?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What kind of artists do you love/feel kindly towards?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What kind of artists do you love/feel kindly towards?

So the other thread is about pretentious modern artists, myspace photographers, and grade-school manga artists.

What do your art heroes have in common? What do you like to see in drawings? What have other artists done that made you say to yourself, "hey that's a really cool person,"?

My art heroes are cool guys who are willing to talk about their art and their background and the paths they've taken to get where they are, guys who seem to be just as excited to see new talent as you are to be new talent. They're good, and they keep on getting better, and I think a lot of that is because they don't distance themselves from new people - they seem to recognize that they can learn new things from everyone.

In drawings and paintings I like to see speed and confidence. I like to see drawings like Miyazaki's where he puts down three lines in four seconds but there's more life on the page than in many of the masters' studies. I like big confident blacks like Mignola and big patches of color where you wouldn't think that it was the right color if YOU were painting it, but it IS the right color and it's perfect for the spot it's in.

When I walk up to an artist and say something, and they smile and start talking to me before I've even shown them my portfolio, that's when I think they're a cool person. Being an agreeable and cool person has nothing to do with art (imo), and so I'm happy when I meet other people who feel the same way - or seem to.
    Also, I can pass for a twelve-year old kid, and it's so awesome when an artist I admire will take the time to talk to me. I've been blown off so many times... so it's nice when your art hero turns out to be a cool person.

Anyone else?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I really have a warm spot for pretentious modern artists, myspace photographers, and grade-school manga artists.

Okay...I'll think about it...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate art where there is a sense of order and consistency, where I can tell that the artist knows what they are doing and that they are working for some specific purpose. Whether it's ancient Egyption art, manga or classical, there's always some form of structure that makes it intelligible even if it's only on a subconcious level.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I love me, everyone else is just a distraction from self.

I like artists but try not to be too influenced by the nonsense since everyone is full of some sort of original creativity, and until they know that:: fave artist would be John Cage if I had to pick some one other then me or possibly ??? just bought a book Dali and I kind a feel like his stuff is almost better then mine...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An artist that loves to share his knowledge, but is humble. Doesn't mind talking with new people wihle taking a break from painting or something (on AIM),
    Pretty much a character just like DSIllustration or AmishCommy, SirGreenSock, MCBarret, Wes too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the bad ass pros and non-pros here who are bluntly honest about their opinions and have such a raw desire to genuinely help other artists with their problems (both art-related and not). We could all think of each other as competition, but instead everyone is ridiculously friendly and helpful, and I both respect and admire the majority of artists on CA for that.

Last edited by BlackGuy; November 19th, 2006 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i agree with blackguy...esp re the pros that hang around here. that they take the time to give feedback and crit is simply awesome.

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I soo agree with Blackguy.
    Guys like Mentler, hurri , update often, and leave comments. Its great to see these guys taking time ot of their busy schedule and posting here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarett
    In drawings and paintings I like to see speed and confidence. I like to see drawings like Miyazaki's where he puts down three lines in four seconds but there's more life on the page than in many of the masters' studies.
    I love Miyazaki as an artist as well... I think what makes his visuals great is the way he meshes the exagerrated with the subtled... Kinda hard to explain... I could give an example: when the wind blows on the grass, he prefers a subtle approach where a line patch of light green cascades through the grass... It's poetic imagery (not only to save cash, 'cuz he still does this kind of 'wind on the grass' up to this day)... I champion subtlety (even though I'm the one to talk ) in many ways, most importantly in cinematography, acting, and directing...

Okay, damn... I veered of course there... I've always admired artists who makes you see things that are not shown... Y'know... Ah geez, it's another one hard to explain... I suck at explaining...

LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    most of the other artists I've met are people I admire. maybe there's something about devoting your life to a growing, self-driven creative endeavor that imparts a little in the way of patience and wisdom. I met an artist in Seattle, through a friend of a relative, who invited me into his home, gave me a tour of his studio, plus all kinds of advice and comments on my work and what to watch out for making a living as an artist, just for fun, just to talk to another artist.

I think most artists, the ones who really achieve something, are hopeful people. hope and inspiration keep you going, and they help you see the positive side of life, obviously. when confronted with a problem, such as an unpleasant task or an unpleasant person, my negative side says "I hate this! it sucks, make it go away, blablabla". sometimes my creative side steps in and says "hang on, what can I learn from this? what can I build on it? maybe this person is no fun to be around socially speaking, but wouldn't they make a great character in a painting or story?"
    I admire artists who give away their work, out of love for their fellow humans. I saw a lot of this at Burning Man. that's basically what it is, free art (after the ticket to get in...) made not for money but for love. pretty damn sweet.

for myself I try to keep certain traits in mind on my journey. be humble, that is realize that nothing is ever perfected, and every second is an opportunity for great learning and creation. realize that you don't truly know anyone else, and don't let their comments discourage you or puff you up, just pay attention to the ones who actually have something useful to say. keep the inner creativity going, learn from others but build on top of that structure rather than let yourself get trapped in it. your art is YOUR art, it's good to take in the wisdom of others, but be careful not to take in their bullshit too.

there's something great about meeting another artist who shares the same level of inspiration, or greater, you just connect on a really deep wavelength that a lot of people don't even know is there.

as galileo said "the authority of a thousand is not equal to the humble reasoning of one individual"
    I think it applies to art as well as science.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a lot to think about philosophically when it comes to the drive to excel at our craft. I feel all too often that this drive can become limiting to our perspective on things if we let it. For a long time, I've believed that channeling your thoughts in only one direction is a sure fire way of narrowing your perspective, so when Marko posted this advice

"I see it like this. I take nothing in life for granted. When I go out with friends, I want the night to be as amazing as possible, because I want to keep it as a good memory. Because if I remember something, I can use it again for my drawings. If I like the way a girl talks to me, I will remember how her lips move, or how she folds her hands together. If I like the way a bum is falling through the streets, I will watch him and remember.
    Too many people close their eyes for what life has to offer. They take their environment as it comes, pay no attention to the body language of their friends and thus lose connection to their memories. They take up references when they draw, because they are too afraid to call upon their brain and memories.
    I think perception, observation of the world around you doesn't only make you a better artist, but at the end of the day a better human being as well. Because if you learn to pay attention to you surroundings, to the people you hang out with, to your girl, or your dog, you learn to understand these beings better. You start developing empathy, because you read the body language of people, you realize how the lips of your best friend tremble, when he is nervous, you know that your girl is mad at you because she scratches her palms, etc."

it made me respect not just the art, but the man behind the art too. I've seen most of the MB guys post advice similar to this, and honestly THAT is where my admiration, respect, and even loyalty for CA and MB came from. Of course the art they produce is amazing, but it makes me genuinely happy that these guys have a lot more depth to them that goes past the magnificent art they produce.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the artists that do theyr kind of thing.(I hope this makes any sense in english ) Art that is coming straight from the soul, art created with passion.

...these guys have a lot more depth to them that goes past the magnificent art they produce
    I believe every truly great artist has "deep" personality, it's a prerequisite for producing great art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A personal favorite of mine has always been Swedish painter Dick Bengtsson, because of his absurd and offensive sense of humour. Like his famous piece "Hitlers Dreamkitchen"

Dick Bengtsson at the Modern Museum

Members who have read this thread: 1