Painting on a wall ~Need Quick help here~Gonna move in next week!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Painting on a wall ~Need Quick help here~Gonna move in next week!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Painting on a wall ~Need Quick help here~Gonna move in next week!

(Dunno if this fits the forum, but it doesnt really matters...)

Yeah, Im moveing now, and my problem is that Im gonna decorate the walls
    with lineart, and some sort of big illustration..

Alright, So my problem is that I dont know what types of colour-types
    I can use for painting on my wall.. The underlaying colour is water-soluble
    and the only advice I got til' now is that I'm NOT allowed to use OILS cause
    that could cause the underlaying colour to smudge ?

So, what sort of colours could be in good use here ? Im thinking of acrylics ? is
    that any good ? any advice is good, and it would be really
    nice to hear of your experience if you have done something similair , just to make sure alright, in quick need of help, so thanks everyone!

~Dile

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually most mural painting is done in house paint which comes in cool little tester pots in amazing colors now a days... acrylics would work but it would take an awful lot of paint. expensive.....

some recyckling centers have a place to take left over paint......very inexpensive......

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dile – the paint that is already on the wall is not “water-soluble”, which would mean “dissolves in water”. It is “water-based”. That means it won’t wash off the wall if you get it wet. I don’t think there is such a thing as water-soluble house-paint, unless some dope used poster paints to paint his house.

Oil-based paint would not cause house paint of any sort to somehow come off the wall. Once house-paint is dry, it is tough stuff. You would have to grind at it with a rag soaked in turpentine or some other nasty solvent to get it to come off, and even then you might be surprised at how stubborn it can be.

You should clarify with the owner if, by “oil paints” they meant artist’s oil paints, or oil-based house-paint. Oil-based house-paints should be perfectly fine on top of any other dried house-paint. Artists oil-paints would be a problem because of the thickness and extended curing time. In other words, it would present problems when the landlord goes to paint over it after you are gone.

Basically, you are free to use anything that will A. stick to that surface, B. not rub off on folks who lean against it, and C. not be a problem for the owner when it comes time to paint over it.

This leaves thinned acrylics, house paint of any sort (oil-based, acrylic, or latex), and spray paint.

If you have not used spray paint before, I don’t recommend that, either, because it takes some significant skill to use spray paint in a manner that doesn’t look like bad graffiti. But if you do use it, open up every door and window while you work, so that you don’t poison yourself. Heck, make sure you have lots of ventilation with any of those mediums.

Be sure to post a picture here when you are done!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Thanks alot for the answere!
    and thanks alot, especially to you Seedling who took the time to explain in detail! I bought acryclics, and we "own" the house, so noone will kill me
    I dunno if it was that expensive afterall. I bought two big sets (NEVER touched traditional painting stuff before exept for watercolors, so this was something new) and the sets together where about 20dollars.
    I started to paint with it on the walls, (after experimenting for 3 hours or so on paper to get a hang of it.) And I cant belive I have never done something like that before!! Ohwell, enough talk, and thanks guys!
    I post pics on the progress/maybe, but on the finished pic when its done(for sure!) thanks!

~Dile

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I want pictures too please. I've always wanted to paint my walls! Unfortuanntely i still live with my parents (don't worry, i'm only 19), and it's not their house either.

Members who have read this thread: 1