those backdrops and my work

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: those backdrops and my work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

those backdrops and my work

ok ok ok, I have really tried doing those light brown traditional concept art style textures in photoshop but it ends up looking tacky. Is there a special filter for concept artist?, or can anyone hint as to what filter they used?

thanks!

If anyone is up for some harsh words, could you please check my illustrations gallery and give me your honest opinion?...I really want to be the uk's answer to zhu feng!

www.caponeart.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im not entirely sure - I think what U mean is the "old style" (looks like old 17th century oils)backgrounds - I think they´re are made of different browns and darker browns and dark reds maybe - but no filters - they´re all brushstrokes.
    I liked Ur graphic works btw.
    Keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't know if you'd consider me qualified enough to post a suggestion, but here goes...

To achieve a similar old style look, specifically one of those old stlye Wanted ads, i first scanned a blank section of the newspaper at a high resolution (an area 1" square is good enough.) at 2400 dpi, so that it was nice and big. cropped the section i needed. saved it at a high resolution.

created a new layer. set to multiply mode. filled it with a peach color... not peach but beige. yeah. adjust the opacity of that layer to your liking.

next, create another layer, set to overlay. put your black lines down on this one.

duplicate that layer, set it to 50% opacity, and blur it by about 20-30 pixels, depending on how high res the background is. this gives it the old sun bleaches/leached ink look.

if you like my tutorial, um... cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u mean like those old sketches in browns and skin colours, like Rembrant etc. I think they were done using Sanguini Pencils (i tihnk is how u spell it)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

red sketches

Originally posted by Jon Hughes
    u mean like those old sketches in browns and skin colours, like Rembrant etc. I think they were done using Sanguini Pencils (i tihnk is how u spell it)
    O considerable number of sketches of that type were done in what is today known as Conte' crayon.

Despite the name this is in fact a pastel like chalk but harder than most pastels.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.