.jpeg's looking much darker than .psd's...

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

.jpeg's looking much darker than .psd's...

Hello,

So I am an advanced novice user of Photoshop and have begun doing a lot more digital painting as of late. When I paint in black/white/gray in Photoshop I can get a good scale of values from light to dark...however, when I save the file as a .jpeg copy to post here at this site, the copy goes really dark and a tad fuzzier.

I can tolerate fuzzy, but the dip into the darker territory is really bothering me...does this have to do with the quality of the .jpeg copy saved, the number of scans, etc., or is this just "the way it is?" Or should I adjust my values in the .psd file before I save it as a .jpeg to overcompensate for this?

Any info or ideas or experiences in this? Having originally been exposed to Photoshop in its 2.5.1 incarnation waaaaaay back in the 1990's, CS is a whole new ballgame...

www.costumesketch.com
    I looked at yours, now you look at mine...sketchbook here

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there." - Ralph Wiggum

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adjust your screen with Photoshop. Your color setting might not be well set.
    To do this:
    Shift-Ctrl-K or Edit>Color Settings.

I had the same problem when I bought my new screen. If you bought a new screen just re-install photoshop .If no, try to find a driver and load it with the color setting. Windows/Photoshop are just not using the same color values. And Photoshop is bit picky on that=\

hope it will work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Could be that you're working with CMYK and then saving to Jpeg which transforms the colors. Try using Save as for web...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think thats because you are probably working within the Adobe 1998 color space in Photoshop. Windows and any other webbrowser does not support Colormanagement and is only using srgb - a much smaller Colorspace.

Before you post your pic on the net, you have to convert you picture into srgb. Its in the Options Bar - Image - Modus (in my german version) - the last menu entry "Convert into profile". Then you chose srgb - but this will flatten all your layers.

Please excuse my lack of language skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i got this problem also, there is two solutions of this what i know, setting photoshop to use your monitor profile that windows also use.
    or convert to srgb.
    should i work in adobe rgb and convert? or work in monitor profile form the beginning?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't use your Monitor-Profile in PS - Thats the worst thing you can do! You don't know which monitors other users have so colors may look awkward elsewhere.

Its better to work in Adobe RGB and convert into the srgb profile afterwards. I made an action in PS which works like this: copy Image - crop pic and convert into srgb. So the image is ready to post and it's only one click of work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks so much ironcalf!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm okay this is a bit to chew on...having read the above, I'm going to offer up the following additional information.

I was originally working in PS 6.0 for a while, then updated to CS2...the files that I have been working in are not CMYK as someone had originally surmised, but in RGB. When I save the file as a .jpeg and put it next to the .psd version in Photoshop, they look very similar - however, it's only when the .jpeg is posted to the web (via this site or somewhere else) that it goes much darker. When I checked the .jpeg version's profile in CS2, it listed it as already sRGB IEC61966-2.1 - but all I did was save the .psd as a .jpeg copy, no converting profile or anything as suggested above.

Like I said, both files sitting side by side in Photoshop look very very similar in terms of value - it's the posting to the web that darkens the .jpeg...

Any other ideas? I think I'll used "the google" and see what I can come up with in the meantime....

www.costumesketch.com

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there." - Ralph Wiggum

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't change my mind. That's because PS does support colormanagement. Your/any browser/windows does not.

Open your unconverted jpg or psd file with - for example - Irfan View (www.irfanView.com) and open it with PS (at the same time). Then compare the two pics. Irfan View will show you the image how it looks without colormanagement and how it will show up on the net/elsewhere outside Photoshop.

Then convert your (duplicated) image (image-mode-convert to profile-srgb), save and compare the pics again. They will look nealy identical.

It is logical that your pics will look similar in photoshop because of the colormanagement.

OK - I will post a crappy image from my early painting days, when i didn't know anything about color-profiles either.

The first image is converted and looks like I intended how it should look. The second is how it came up when i showed it on the net (not converted). Can you see the difference?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by IronCalf; November 20th, 2006 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't change my mind. That's because PS does support colormanagement. Your/any browser/windows does not... It is logical that your pics will look similar in photoshop because of the colormanagement.
    Okay, now I am beginning to grasp the idea...

Then convert your (duplicated) image (image-mode-convert to profile-srgb), save and compare the pics again. They will look nealy identical.
    Okay, I did a sample of this in Photoshop - actually, the pathing was Edit-Convert to Profile, and not under Image-Mode, but that's moot. I converted the copied .jpeg image to an sRGB profile, even though it listed the Source Space as sRGB already. I tested it out on a post to my sketchbook thread, and it made no difference - the converted .jpeg was just as dark as the original non-converted...I checked the color settings option, and my RGB workspace is set up for sRGB, and not the monitor.

I'm wondering if I just have my monitor's brightness up too high? Dunno, I'm stumped on this...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK in CS2 its under "edit" - I'm using CS and there its under "image".

So, i don't know whats going wrong. Did you use the sRGBIEC61966-2.1? Have you checked the "color"-box in the save-dialogue-box?

Your workspace should be adobeRGB. This colorspace is bigger.

May you can send me your original-not-converted jpg or psd that i can have a look at it?

I dont think its a monitor-problem.

Edit: When you use the "Save for web" dialoge - check the "ICC-Profile"-box on the right side.

Last edited by IronCalf; November 21st, 2006 at 04:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah ha, I think I figured it out...while messing around in the Save for Web box, I clicked on the arrow in the upper right corner of the screen. It had been set to "uncompensated color," the first option available. When I changed it to "use document color profile," the graphic shows up great - not nearly as dark as it had been when I had saved them originally. In fact, a nearly perfect value match!

My guess is that this defaulted to "uncompensated" and hence was ignoring the sRGB color profile...

Your workspace should be adobeRGB. This colorspace is bigger.
    So, should I change the Working Space to Adobe RGB, rather than sRGB or Adobe RGB (1998)?

Many thanks for all your help and input - let me know on the workspace issue...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, i meant Adobe RGB 1998. But then you have to convert your image before posting - but always keep your original-version of the Image. Use sRGB only for posting on the net.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah crap - I jinxed myself - even with the change to "use document color profile," when I view it as posted on the web, it STILL looks darker. Even though it looks great in the Save for Web preview, almost identical to the original .psd file, if it's viewed as posted or even in silly Adobe Album Starter, it looks dark dark dark dark darker...

I'm flummoxed and stymied and confused and confuddled...I don't know where it's getting hung up and deciding to make it darker...???

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Iron, I'm sending you a PM with my email address in it - drop me a line and I can send you a couple of the original .psd files (mainly black and white and not too large) and maybe you can see where I am going wrong...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When using CS2 and converting to sRGB to post, what Engine and Intent are best? Adobe ACE or Microsoft ICM? Perceptual vs. Saturation vs. Relative Colorimetric vs. Absolute Colorimetric? Still having troulbe getting my .jpeg's with converted profiles to look similar online to what they look like in CS2...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use Adbe ACE and Perceptual.

Friends of mine say, that they don't convert to sRGB, when posting very dark pictures and black and white images.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, see if this helps: check View>Proof Setup>Monitor RGB. That oughta show the pic the way it's going to be saved. Work with that setting on from the beginning or adjust your previous created images using curves or levels. And simply use AdobeRGB or sRGB, no need to embed the profile, but if you want to, go with the sRGB one.
    Let me know if it was of any use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find that if my Save for Web .jpeg quality is 100% they are coming out not quite as dark - in fact, much better than before. This with neither Progressive nor ICC Profile boxes checked in the Save for Web box, and Use Document Color Profile selected.

I was assuming (I thought I read this somewhere) that when Save for Web is selected, it automatically embeds an sRGB profile to the .jpeg, but I'm thinking that's wrong - when I got to open up anything that I have saved for web, I get the "we don't have a profile, what do you want to do with this?" box...

www.costumesketch.com

Members who have read this thread: 4