Sketchbook: The Misfortune Teller

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Misfortune Teller

Hello Everyone,
    right now I am just aiming to get proportions down, I done an exercise of drawing cyclops from the book You can Draw Marvel Characters by Dan Jurgens.
    The Misfortune Teller

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Anurizm; August 1st, 2012 at 02:03 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    off to a slow start, hoping I can do more drawings than what I am doing. I think I am going to start with head Studies. any suggestions on my approach or anything?
    The Misfortune Teller

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start, try to construct heads based on cubes, not curves that sit arbitrarily in space. Start with a cube and carve the curved surfaces out of it, while checking if symmetrical landmarks line up with straight perspective lines (corners of mouth, eyes, etc). Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by repeat.process
    Nice start, try to construct heads based on cubes, not curves that sit arbitrarily in space. Start with a cube and carve the curved surfaces out of it, while checking if symmetrical landmarks line up with straight perspective lines (corners of mouth, eyes, etc). Keep it up!
    could you do a demonstration for me?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @repeat.process - cool I will try it out today, I thought about also start out constructing the overall shape with just straight lines and go from there.

@designboot - thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just remeber that everything is in perspective in figure drawing. I wouldnt even start figure drawing unless i had a solid grasp of perspective. Draw faces from reference untill you can do it in your sleep. And be VERY familiar with the skull

The Misfortune Teller

The Misfortune Teller

The Misfortune Teller

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blahm's right, practise drawing cubes in perspective, and then use alignments projected onto them to find the correct proportions in perspective. Then, use something like this as starting point, don't worry about features yet (based on Bridgman):

The Misfortune Teller

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey been a while, I really wish I would stick with my studies, because it's not doing me any good to do a study and wait months and continue on :/
    here's some more stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    btw please post any suggestions or image material that would be helpful

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya! Your studies are really going well, keep at it! ( I need to start studying anatomy too come to think about it). It might actually be useful to try to sketch the skull and other structures in different angles, like you did, as well as under different lighting conditions (underneath, above.) this will help your shading technique as well as your anatomical understanding. Double whammy!

I wish you all the best,
    amer-nazri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies.
    I don't really have any suggestions to help you... maybe trying different time elapsed on each drawings ?
    For exemple doing a very long one aside shorter ones ?
    In any case, keep drawing alot. That's the only way to get better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, but I sometimes feel that I don't know where to begin my studies the head, etc....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for the comment. i would say the big thing is to really just keep studying the human anatomy you really just have to know how it all works together and what works what. and while you are learning that practice alot of gestural figures. you always want to start with a gesture before you start a figure. that will always help keep it from looking like a statue. what you've got is a good start but i would say try to post as often as you can. and dont worry so much about the finished quality of the studies. thats all they are are studies. the important thing is to work out all the bugs not to do a finish rendering. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is some progress of one of the characters I am going to do in a Streets of Rage 2 series. This game was awsome. Right now I am currently working on Maxx. Still quite a bit left to do, bust me up ol' chaps

The Misfortune Teller

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a little update, drew a few objects from life a bit ago.
    The Misfortune Teller

The Misfortune Teller

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man! thats not bad. i think you maybe your focusing to much on sub forms and not enough on the whole figure remember that no muscle is alone nor do any work separately. many not only work together but they connect in many of the same places. just remember things like how the spine curves how the ribcage is tilted, and that unless he is flexing like Mr. Universe he is most likely not going to have that much definition. though your structure is pretty good, i would just suggest working on a few more gestures before you start the next to get a more real and comfortable feel to the stands.

overall i would just say bring out the sides of the ribcage out where it passes behind the arm a bit more the ribs there seem pinched. maybe widen the waist some and try to have some of the forms lead into one another, show more shape within the outline you have created your muscles on the inside of the figure feel disjointed from the outsides, it may help to have the outline work its way in to the shape of the other muscles. you should also soften the wrinkles on the face. if you shade it try to use lightening to your advantage to show harsh wrinkles on the skin.

good start! keep goin!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lyon
    hey man! thats not bad. i think you maybe your focusing to much on sub forms and not enough on the whole figure remember that no muscle is alone nor do any work separately. many not only work together but they connect in many of the same places. just remember things like how the spine curves how the ribcage is tilted, and that unless he is flexing like Mr. Universe he is most likely not going to have that much definition. though your structure is pretty good, i would just suggest working on a few more gestures before you start the next to get a more real and comfortable feel to the stands.

overall i would just say bring out the sides of the ribcage out where it passes behind the arm a bit more the ribs there seem pinched. maybe widen the waist some and try to have some of the forms lead into one another, show more shape within the outline you have created your muscles on the inside of the figure feel disjointed from the outsides, it may help to have the outline work its way in to the shape of the other muscles. you should also soften the wrinkles on the face. if you shade it try to use lightening to your advantage to show harsh wrinkles on the skin.

good start! keep goin!
    thanks for the input Mr.lyon. Yeah I agree with you on gesture studies. can you explain maybe how the figure feels disjointed from the outsides?

here is the ref

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my SB! Nice studies here, keep it up.

If you're going to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

-Oscar Wilde

My Old SB Needs Your Criticism!
    My New SB Needs Your Criticism! [Last Page]
    My deviantART Page
    iMaiM demands you go see Dennis Currie's Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this one was frustrating, can't seem to get the composition I want for this one. The blocks are suppost to be the corner of a building, I am about sure the perspective is way off, let alone his face looks flat :/

But I am going to do a few more versions of Max, then prob start on Axel etc.

The Misfortune Teller

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketch !
    But i think you using the lines where there shouldn't be any. Keeping the contour line for inner lines of the figures flattens alot the drawing.. and should be used at high risk (!! .... lol).
    But you're getting there. Try to show us the shapes in perspective first before going with the shading.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have cracked open loomis figure drawing for all it's worth. I am going to start working from it more. I want to tighten up on my proportions a bit and I done a bit of a nose study from Hogarth. I am going to do some more proportion drawings though so I can get my eye trained a bit.

The Misfortune Teller

The Misfortune Teller

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good man.
    Do more of these !!! and try to focus more on the general balance of the study itself. The loomis figures are too stiff to me... but i'm being picky, practice alot man. You're getting there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    something off the bat I'm noticing about your referenced studies, is instead of focusing on drawing what you're seeing, you're drawing iconographic representations of what you think should be there. get away from going over the same line more than once. If you didn't draw it right the first time, erase and redraw it, no matter how dark it gets, it won't be more correct-- that sounds silly, but it's soooo true.

also, with your reffed figure studies. throw your reference image into greyscale, and work on getting those tonal values down. it'll help you get away from those hard dark lines you are so dependent on. Lines are just visual representation of large abrupt value shifts. Just look at DanielC's stuff...his pencils are a perfect example.
    If you can, set up a simple still life with a single light source, and spend a couple hours on it, trying to get everything as exact as possible...you'll learn a ton about observation.

most importantly, draw what makes you happy--switch up your studies with drawing from imagination. Try and figure out what you've learned from your studies and apply it to working out of your head.

keep working hard, it always pays off~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Texahol has some really good points.

It's really good that you're doing studies, keep it up. When drawing from a reference, even if it's a study of some sort, really try and get the action. I noticed especially with the drawing of the body builder guy, you straightened him out alot. Really look for the angles and pose of his body. try using more straight lines as well.

Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks tex and nethus, I will keep these things in mind on my next drawings. here is an updated version that I just got the chance to post. It's the back view added to the above proportion study.

The Misfortune Teller

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    have no fear im proobably worse than you when it comes to figure drawing or anatomy and especially gestures.

not sure how to add my sketchbook as a link but heres wher eits at yo
    Foodogs sketchblog

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1