Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Misfortune Teller

Thanks
    something off the bat I'm noticing about your referenced studies, is instead of focusing on drawing what you're seeing, you're drawing iconographic representations of what you think should be there. get away from going over the same line more than once. If you didn't draw it right the first time, erase and redraw it, no matter how dark it gets, it won't be more correct-- that sounds silly, but it's soooo true.

also, with your reffed figure studies. throw your reference image into greyscale, and work on getting those tonal values down. it'll help you get away from those hard dark lines you are so dependent on. Lines are just visual representation of large abrupt value shifts. Just look at DanielC's stuff...his pencils are a perfect example.
    If you can, set up a simple still life with a single light source, and spend a couple hours on it, trying to get everything as exact as possible...you'll learn a ton about observation.

most importantly, draw what makes you happy--switch up your studies with drawing from imagination. Try and figure out what you've learned from your studies and apply it to working out of your head.

keep working hard, it always pays off~
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Texahol has some really good points.

It's really good that you're doing studies, keep it up. When drawing from a reference, even if it's a study of some sort, really try and get the action. I noticed especially with the drawing of the body builder guy, you straightened him out alot. Really look for the angles and pose of his body. try using more straight lines as well.

Keep it up

Thanks
    thanks tex and nethus, I will keep these things in mind on my next drawings. here is an updated version that I just got the chance to post. It's the back view added to the above proportion study.

The Misfortune Teller

Thanks
    have no fear im proobably worse than you when it comes to figure drawing or anatomy and especially gestures.
    not sure how to add my sketchbook as a link but heres wher eits at yo
    Foodogs sketchblog

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    the chest width on your second proportion pic seems too wide.. perhaps study more skeletal/muscle structures to get a better mental library first, before going into proportion? of course, different things work for different people for me, i find that the more photostudies i do, the better.

keep practicing to build up your mental library of shapes/form, don't worry if you spend too much time on one image. speed will come with practice

Thanks
    You copied a picture from loomis and then made your own version.
    All good and fun I suppose. One error though, you see it as a 2D shape still.
    You need to make a mental link between the first and second and last image so that they start and create a mass in your brain.

After that mass is created, you just keep drawing to chissel away the imperfections until you can draw a certain bodypart in any direction.

Hence why it would be better to perchance try different approaches.
    When you do the front of the person, only do the chest and next to it,
    draw a simple bean from the front to match the entire torso, shade it until it looks like a bean. (http://gallery.hd.org/_exhibits/food...etc-2-AJHD.jpg)
    Now draw it from the side, and exactly that, draw the bean from the side.
    And then you chissel away and add to the bean to form an entire 3D form of the torso inside your head.

Now i know this is putting it in a rather simplistic way, but I have no idea how far your sense of depth and form has evolved, so I made it as simple and understandable as possible.
    And then you continue adding mental references until you moddelled an entire figure inside your mind.

Good luck

Thanks
    Hey bro, thanks for Stopping by my sketchbook, I see you got yours going ey-
    One thing I gotta tell you is that you shouldnt forget about the basic skeleton when you do proportions. Play around with the skeleton alot before you commit to a full rendering. One thing that helps me when I draw on paper, is to hold the drawing in front of a mirror, the reflection gives you a new fresh look at your work.
    keep up the good work!

-JL
    J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
Great stuff anurizm! It was really fun oc'ing with you, or for you haha I learnt a lot myself =) I really look forward seeing you improve on those points i gave you! Good luck with it! =)

~Dile

Thanks
    Yes, definately watch out for the width. The shoulders and chest are miles too wide in post #31..

Keep it up man.. keep thinking of the whole 3D form, and keep movement and action always in mind when it comes to characters. Try and loosen up a bit and do a few drawings with some active poses.

Thanks
    Hey, Anurism! Thought I'd finally return the favor and comment on your own sketchbook. I like all of your anatomy studies and the sketches based on them. However, I think you're often preoccupied with making nice-looking lines when you should be more concerned about the underlying shapes and forms. Learn the basic, three-dimensional forms, and then worry about making good pictures around them.
    And update more.

Thanks
    @moai: yeah I have had a focus on my lines for a long time, Keep dropping by

small update
    Last edited by Anurizm; April 29th, 2007 at 06:02 PM.

• Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast