Sketchbook: The Misfortune Teller - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Misfortune Teller

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work man, keep at it and draw as much as possible. you seem to be observing stuff well in the last update, there is a good sense of depth and dimension to all the objects. keep doing these, but also do some posemanicas perhaps???
    http://www.posemaniacs.com/pose/thirtysecond.html
    if your not comfortable with doing them this fast, there is a section on the site somewhere where you can just bring still images up and stuff. i think don't worry about specific muscles yet, you want to learn the overall form of the body and perhaps get comfortable with posing and foreshortening....? THEN you can focus on more in depth anatomy study.

like always, just suggestions, i'm no teacher

DRAW DRAW DRAW!

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @golfox: soon possibly.

@MattGamer: with all of my drawings I try to visualize 3d forms when I look at the objects, I'm working on it.

@kronos: I am enjoying these pose maniacs, I'm going to do some every night.

Here are some pose maniacs and other stuff.

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up the reffed stuff. Some of gestures look almost there, others look twisted and leaning in anatomically impossible ways. I'm suspecting sometimes you lose concentration when you draw.

For example that last centre female pose with her hands akimbo - its drawn without consideration to her ribcage or hips resulting in a "rubber" figure look.

But it will all come with work, keep it up! Speaking of which, I have to go do some figure studies now.

*Tres Cute Sketch Group*
    ---no added monosodiumglutamate!!!---

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looking goot man.
    Keep studying, and more life drawing !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there matte, my suggestion is and already mention draw draw draw... and a bit more specific, try to draw first the whole and the details ..., be aware about he perspective, Scott Robertson gnomon dvd's are the best for it, draw from life as possible as u can, in the bus, subway, train, bar, restaurant's everywhere, the more u draw, the more u understand how things work, meaning the better u become ^^ now grab the pencil

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude i think one of the best things to do is to cover bodie parts one at a time. Then when ur get familiar with drawing them put all of them together.
    It might work out from u, and also it help to just draw random lines. Big lines, small lines, draw them from left to right, right to left. try to get comfortable with drawing things like that. It might feel awkward at first but u'll get used to it!

pld: NEED CRITIQUE! But BEWARE your Eyes might BLEED OUT of YOUR eye SOCKETS <---cause I really suck and haven't done shit pld:
    My Sketch Book!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice progress in the human form here. keep on drawing. Try and form a mnemonic map of the human body that you can pull from in the future.
    keep updating and good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is long overdue, I don't have much at all to post, because the rest of what i have are anatomy studies from hogarth's dynamic anatomy. I am going to switch to loomis. this is from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is a better update

I have found a mentor and I will hopefully improve

My mentor had me do some exercises today drawing with my left hand and not lifting and to observe better. The purpose of the exercises was to improve line quality and observe forms and perspective better. The first 5 drawings in this post are done with my left hand doing as described above. and the last 3 are done from memory, the first two of the three were done with my left hand and the last one was done with my right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Well shit the bed, this bitch is Death Proof!

thought I would do an sp before bed, I learned a bit from it and see a few mistakes. I am going to try to do more of these. None the less hit me with some crits and advice

getchya pull!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anyone have any good resources or advice on identifying perspective when drawing from life?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More construction lines. Eyesight is good, you might get more confortable and all, but if you really understand what you're doing you'll do more than fine.
    As for perpsective in life drawing, i can only recommand you Loomis' great book
    Have fun dude !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Ok, the reason I'm writing here is your avatar. Fucking Darkthrone! Amazing. Anyways, good that you are studying. For reference to them studies I recommend www.posemaniacs.com , great site. And do you have any Burne Hogarth books? If not, get a book called Dynamic Figure Drawing or the like. It's amazingly good. Proportions, shadows, foreshortening, everything. After that, Dynamic Anatomy. I'm doing that myself! Also Drawing the Human Face is great, by the very same author. Well everything he has written is gold. About that selfportrait, to me it loks like you've only used one line. Try first skecth it very very loose, until you fins the lines that looks right and make them thicker. Also try to shade it maybe? Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcophagus View Post
    Hey! Ok, the reason I'm writing here is your avatar. Fucking Darkthrone! Amazing. Anyways, good that you are studying. For reference to them studies I recommend www.posemaniacs.com , great site. And do you have any Burne Hogarth books? If not, get a book called Dynamic Figure Drawing or the like. It's amazingly good. Proportions, shadows, foreshortening, everything. After that, Dynamic Anatomy. I'm doing that myself! Also Drawing the Human Face is great, by the very same author. Well everything he has written is gold. About that selfportrait, to me it loks like you've only used one line. Try first skecth it very very loose, until you fins the lines that looks right and make them thicker. Also try to shade it maybe? Keep it up.
    thanks for the advice and Darkthrone is bad ass!. I have dynamic anatomy, I am beginning to think hogarth isn't for me though, he's really curvey and his explanations are sometimes confusing. I am more than likely going to hop on the bridgman or loomis train, but I may use hogarth to look back on later. right now I am really trying to nail proportions, line, and being able to give form with just lines. I just started today working on a replication of one of my favorite artist work (hawkprey - James Hawkins) and plan on doing some master copies as well. my mentor and nor do I think I am ready for lighting yet, so I am going to hold off on the shading for a bit still. for the past few months I have been doing nothing but drawing from life.

Last edited by Anurizm; October 19th, 2007 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to see you back at drawing again. Looks like you're making some good progress, the ones where you explicitly use guidelines seem to do best of all. I would try that more often if I were you. Keep going at it man .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -jmBoekestein - thanks man.

I have been doing a lot of perspective studies and watching scott roberston's dvd on perspective. I haven't made it to the construction grid yet, i done it some years back but forgotten it . The last drawing is my progress on a replication of Hawkprey's gremlin, I am learning a lot as I progress through it, prob do some master copies of old artists as well. I am going to start some bridgman studies tonight, had planned to start earlier. due to my free time though it had put a bit of delay on that. anyways all input is needed and appreciated.

Last edited by Anurizm; August 18th, 2009 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep up the studies, those perspective stuies still don't look right.Its an excellent dvd, so keep pushing.That first one is the kind of stuff you have to do more often as possible, to sharpen up your eye and skills.keep pushing!

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what's with the hit and run on aim today? lol.
    anyway the perspective stuff is getting there. keep doing those and maybe mix it up a little and do some from life too. the skull up there in post 69 is nice. you're definitely on the right track. just keep doing it and you'll definitely see results.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you're already getting plenty of advice here. I'm throwing my own comments in reluctantly, as too many different opinions can be confusing and I think you're broadly getting solid suggestions here.

I think you need to step on the brakes a bit. There are innaccuracies even in the most primitive objects on these pages. If you're struggling with simple forms, something as complex as human anatomy is going to give you real problems.

Put your anatomy books to one side for a little while. Concentrate on drawing from life to train your hand and eye with basic drawing skills first. Find some simple solid objects to act as your models - ideally you want stuff made up of just two or three significant forms and without complex surface detail, maybe a suacepan, pepper mill or lamp - and get drawing. Do quick poses with these objects. One at a time, not groups. Stay loose, but focus on describing the big masses accurately. Ignore any details. Once you complete a pose, analyse it. Look carefully at where you went wrong. Try to understand why, then draw the pose again, correcting your errors. This last stage is very important. It will really help you understand and remember the areas that cause you problems.

Tackling simple objects means quicker sketches. Quicker sketches means you can do more of them, and it's the frequency of your drawing that's really going to help move your skills along at this stage.

Keep a sketchbook just for these exercises. Do them regularly. Don't look at the work you've done previously. Concentrate on what you're drawing on any given day. Only look back through the book when it's full. Then compare the first and last pages.

I know this stuff can be dull, but you can always keep another book for imaginative drawing when inspiration strikes. I really think this will help you lay some solid foundations on which to build your drawing skills.

Whatever you do, just make sure you enjoy it!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Dixon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What Mr. Dixon said is so true. I started with Dynamic Anatomy by Burne Hogarth, going through all the details, I did some nice arms here and there. But when I was doing whole figures it was crap, actually Goblinshark here at CA recomended learning the proportions and basic shapes first, so I started on Drawing in sace or whatever it's called by the previously mentioned author. Great stuff. Also, posemaniacs is good. Just remember, big shapes, no details.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @mattdixon- Thanks for your suggestion, everyone has given me some great advice that I try to follow. I have decided to put a stop on anatomy at the moment and focus on shapes as you said. Here are some drawings done as you mentioned. I chose a lent roller, soda can, tv remote, and a hand sanitizing dispenser. I plan on doing much more. also done more perspective, 1 and 2 point. I am going to tackle 3 point and do more of all 3.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A good start, man. The TV remote isn't such a great subject, seeing as it's such a simple shape. The other stuff is good, though. Asymmetrical objects like the soap dispenser is ideal as you'll get more variation from different angles and positions.

With regular cylindrical objects, pay close attention to keeping your ellipses consistent. Try drawing lines across the surface of your sketches - see if that helps you to 'feel' or visualise the forms you're describing.

Try using construction. Draw a center line and construct a simple cylinder as a starting point for the roller or can, for example. The refine the form within that frame.

Vary the angles more. Sketch once. Sketch again, correcting errors. Then rotate or flip the object and start the process over.

Keep rockin'!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great advices from matt.. training your eyes to get those studies right is important.. I guess it's logical, simple things we often just over look and jump straight in the middle of things.. So keep those things happening..

As for anatomy and figures.. you could easily start with loomis, freely available.. I think.. but try and spend some quality time with the proportions, keeping it simple..getting the hang of figuring out the figures.. and not get obsessed with details.. so good copies.. again it's like training yourself to "copy" right.. life drawing classes would be a very good idea too..

I think Matt pretty much summed it up tho.. keep it going dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @mattdixon - I have tryed some diff objects, and learned a bit more. I done a bit with the construction lines, but I need and plan on working more with them. keep the input coming big guy I am seeing a bit of improvement.

@bumskee - thanks for dropping by, it's greatly appreciated. I don't really plan on tackling anatomy until matt gives me the o.k it's time to jump in. I am just now starting to grasp form and loosness a bit better.

I've gained a lot of motivation lately, here's an update on the progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    got a few more in before the day is over. I spent over an hour on the apple studies, got quite a bit out of it.
    *note the apple was drawn at different angles*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good lines man.
    Keep practicing alot, be as confortable as possible with you pencil. Once you feel like it, go further with it by doing some work with line weight.
    Keep it up man !

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DanielC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha! Dude, this is what CA is all about.

I don't think you really need anything from me at the moment aye, you've got some great advise (from some extreme hardcores) and it looks like recently some great motivation, thats all you will ever need man, just keep drawing like a maniac and you can't fail!

GO GO GO!

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kronos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there matte, great to see u in non stop drawing path u got just the best advice u could have, matt dixon told pretty much everything ^^ im glad u feel motivated, now keep it up and enjoy drawing.

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Call0ps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Compare these last two posts against the object studies you posted before. Already there's a better sense of form and, most importantly, a noticeable increase in the consistency of your studies. That tells me you're doing it right, and that this is working for you.

Keep at it. Remember to move the object between studies, and to really analyse what needs fixing when you do your corrective drawing.

Don't sweat the construction too much. It's just a different way of approaching your study. Try simplifying the object to a geometric primitive encolsing the form as a starter ( the can becomes a cylinder, the apple a sphere ), draw that out, then 'carve' away to define the shape of your subject.

You're doing great. Rock on.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Dixon For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2