Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Smellykitty's Acrylic Blob (Daily)

Thanks

Smellykitty's Acrylic Blob (Daily)

I love my acrylics but I work far too slow! I'm hoping I can find better ways to paint faster and render accurately. I guess I'll start with things I hate..I hate rocks so here is my first sketch. Two hours *must go down in time!*

I really hate rocks, and water..dang
    Last edited by smellykitty; January 10th, 2007 at 02:05 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    this looks really nice, I like the range of colors, but I think you could play with texture a bit more, especially on the closer rocks.

keep plugging away, the more you paint the more you learn the shortcuts

Thanks
    thanks! I'll be sure to keep making these

Thanks
    The color in that is gorgeous. I agree with tiger on playing with the texture. The rocks look a little too smooth, and it makes the foreground look like its missing detail. The color range is absolutely stunning, and I like the composition. I think the rock in the middle throws the composition off just a bit, but I still like it.

Thanks
    my photo reference had a rock in the middle..but its rock was powerful looking. mines just a blob!

here is another one. Im still trying to learn to paint fast, while being accurate and retaining a style. this one was an hour and half and taken from a book called The Rut =3

yeah I know..lame to just take it from a photo. But I dont think I can paint from my head with this speed yet...need more practice first! so I am going to try to do one every day with my two hour limit. I might do one or two more nature ones before trying a human @o@ and then finally doing something from my head

Thanks
    hey bro (edit:girl or sis?lol), i saw your post in the lounge on your critque on self. bullshit.
    these paintings are great! i appriciate anyone who does traditional work. good use of color in these as well. speed is good for the wacom, but i dont see any reason to try to improve speed with oils unless you are working very small with a simple reference. they are slow and meant to take time. you might be able to acheive speed with water color or just drawing. i say dont limit yourself yet. if it takes you 15 hours to make a damn convincing rock then do it.

welcome to CA
    very good start here. keep at it. id love to see some drawings as well.
    take care
    -ryan
    Last edited by Ryan DeMita; November 18th, 2006 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks
    awww thanks XD that means a lot

oils can be relaxing huh!! but acrylics can be a race against the clock

I totally understand, the wacom is faster!! I sometimes make a digital sketch in five minutes for my large scale traditional paintings...but..its hard to explain what I am trying to do here! my rant that you read is apart of it. =3

I wanted to make a manga, still sorta do one day. So I picked up a few books and one of the best ones said a good comic artist can draw anything. After all, you have to draw characters and their environments, blank backgrounds dont work. But I dont feel.....confident...if I were to draw houses and streets and all the misc. appliances in modern life. Nature comes up a lot in my paintings, but some aspects of nature stump me. In a painting I am working on now, Ive repainted the water five times now! A week of work x_x and it feels so..wasted!

so I guess thats sorta why I want to do this. If I can paint fast, and relatively accurate, I can make hundreds of studies before I make a bigger better paintings. And since im working in my choice of medium, I get a lot of practice before tackling the big boy!

oh yeah..I am not a bro! >;0

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    Good for you for taking on subjects that you don't like! And for learning to paint fast in an analog medium. Ryan is aparently inexperienced on the oils and acrylic speedpainting front. ;-) But it does take time and repetition to build up both speed and accuracy, and, indeed, starting with simle subjects helps. Anyway. . . follow your nose. Push yourself and post your failures and have a good laugh.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    update asap! lol.
    when i saw you're SB i was reminded of someones work, but i could remember their name. it was definately seedling's SB!! strange. check it out though, its an adventure through oil painting!

seedlings definately right, i dont know a damn thing about speed painting. or painting in general.err. or any type of medium used to make art
    i guess my point is if it takes you time to paint something really great i guess id rather see that than quick half realized works. i dont know if thats appropriate for traditional mediums or not but the above two images are inspiring regardless of the time it took you. i know i've spent days on drawings that havent turned out nearly as nice as a 15 minute sketch. similiar to painting, however i've always felt more confortable doing quick water colors than oils.

definately check out seedlings work. there is someone else on here who's sb has alot of speedy oils, mostly figures (not mentler) but damn i cant remember who..
    seedling, any help?

take care
    ryan

(edit: manga/comic book artist are..for lack of a better word..the shit) i guess draw untill you're fingers fall off would be the key there.atleast everyone i know who wants to be a comic book or editorial illustrator draws more than humanly capable and has a great understanding of the figure.)
    Last edited by Ryan DeMita; November 18th, 2006 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    Aww, thanks Ryan. :-) I'm sorry, I can't remember a specific artist who paints figures quickly, but my memory is like a . . . what's that thing you strain pasta in?

Hmm, in my last post, I wasn't even able to spell "simple".

Kitty, I've found that setting a time limit and painting daily has really taught me to nail colors and shapes fast. It takes some total bloopers and a lot of days of painting, but it works.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    hola guys! =D

sorry no updates here...ive been working on my mutant kitties instead and finishing up all my end of the year projects. I havent been working on my mutant kitties for long and my whole class already likes it better than my painting Ive been working on for a month....so typical!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82357

and yeah, it totally sucks when a sketch is better than something you work on for hours. that happens all the time, doesn't? these days I treat my sketch like a bible!

I'll be sure to check our your artworks and all =3

Thanks
    Speed: If the paint drying is an issue, get a high wattage lightbulb with a clip so you can aim it at your painting easily. I have two in my studio and they really help when I'm trying to compress steps.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deliciouspeter
    Speed: If the paint drying is an issue, get a high wattage lightbulb with a clip so you can aim it at your painting easily. I have two in my studio and they really help when I'm trying to compress steps.

huh? does heat slow down the acrylic drying process?

heres an update, trying to get back into the swing of things

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast