Sketchbook: Smellykitty's Acrylic Blob (Daily) - Page 3

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your latest portrait is nice. I enjoyed looking at it for a while but I couldn't really take focus. My eyes jump up and down too much (between the boys eyes and the flowers). I think removing one of the flowers makes the compostion work much better, which one? Im not sure but I think two is too many.

Yep, try putting your hand over one of the flowers and the picture works.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    much apologies for not being around =/ tried like five times to paint some asian kids face, and I just real frustrated. heres a cute mali boy instead, well he was cute in the photo but I just painted him ugly apparently. the bottom half is not finished

btw, thank you all for the critique and help

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice painting great skin tones, but the nose looks a bit too much to his right. Either that, the mouth is a bit too much to his left.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I slapped his nose half way through the process >:0

today I slightly cheated, I drew the photograph, and then I put it away. when it came time to paint it, I just went on a whim rather than trying to use the colors I saw in the photograph. much funner this way! I tried to capture the softness of the photograph where it got blurry. and when it came time to paint the face I was still so tight. I tried to loosen up in the end. PS. I am not sure if this is a man or a women, lol! I think its a man though

onward ho to some lighter skin tones

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love those watercolor insects -- I had to save them to my favs folder.

The sketchbook is looking great. You have a terrific sense of color, and I really enjoyed the stylized portraits. It's good to see the natural media in use.

-Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks craig!

I tried a slightly different technique, using glazes. I kinda like the process better. And its faster, so I made two today

A few more faces then I am going back to insects! >:/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really good stuff man. As usual you have hit the colors right on target. The styistic approach of this one is highly appeaing to me. I am not a huge fan of your glazing pieces. They just seem a step backwards in terms of important detail (edges, line), but that could be because of the speed at which they were created rather than the actual technique you used.

Nice pace SmellyKitty your work ethic this week has been impressive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like these actual paintings. It would be nice to see you push the details and the finish quality with one of these. The colors appear so rich. Bravo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice faces, the placement and size of eyes, nose and mouth are still a little of here and there though, I'd suggest doing more simple line sketches where you focus on getting all the proportions right and don't have to get atached to every individual piece :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the critique. I'm definately planning on working out those faces with drawings! Btw, I was having some techinical problems preventing me from being as active as I mean to D= sorry about that, that and the batteries to my camera died. So you get small doodles today instead that can fit inside my scaner

most of these are ideas I plan on developing for more finished paintings. the forest and trees are based of my dreams. sometimes the forest in my dreams are dark, other times they are artificial. The window scenes are also based on my dreams, where the window leads me to flying freedom

I'll be working on these ideas some more and fleshing them out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    now that is nice, a hell of alot i have missed, please gimme some more

Camberwell London,MA course-Athens Greece would be what i call home!
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how the glaze portraits are looking.But i have to point out that u say that the first ones are speed painting and yet the marks u made dont especially convey that.I think u should try and loosen up abit and go wild with big brushes and washes and spend alittle extra time on the key features in the image(which in this case is the face).The colours are looking great a said before.good stuff ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I agree, for your quicker stuff you have to loosen up. By that I mean draw fast and correct everything that looks wrong, give your self a time limit and try correct as much as possible. I often make the mistake of ignoring what I think is incorrect because im "drawing fast".

Antoher thing I find that helps in speed painting is to work in this order: bulk > edges > line > color. Though that may not work for you, best to find what does.

Your recent line works are pretty good and get the idea across quickly, and you colors are always good as usual.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That drawing of the dude with the camera is great. Are you thinking about coloring it or what? The other drawings are nice they remind me a lot of architectural marker renderings. You should try one with the warm green and yellow pallete, with buildings and other simple people. I think you might really do something cool. Keep the drawings coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook. I come upon it while doing a search for watercolors.

What type of watercolors are you using in the insect pictures? I am looking into working with this medium and I really like the technique your pictures are using.

Oh...I'm really feeling the portrait in post #16. Something about the way you rendered the skin tone- I like.

Keep up the dopeness.

"Afraid not of none of you cowards but of my own strength"

Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the quickies, the guy with the camera is great, perhaps the legs look a little short and his left hand a little big but it's just nit picking :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would agree with jove. the sketch of the guy is great, the legs are a little small, but i didnt notice it till jove pointed it out. it sort of looked almost like it was a view from above. anyway, keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love those new sketches and i like your Straw character. i think the colors will work well, just add some more value changes to make the color really pop. youve got some cool characters.
    i agree with the others- do looser paintings! and im not sure why you always line the sides of the faces and bodies with a highlight or shadow color. i think it might contribute to the slight stiff feeling of the figures. jsut a thought.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sketch buddy.

I really really like your stuff. Your colour sense is just impeccable, I think. Great schemes in almost every piece you've shown.

If I could offer a critique, it would be that you need to work on your figure drawing a bit more-- some of the faces and proportions get a little weird in some of the pieces.

Keep rocking and rolling!

MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the support, sorry for disappearing anyhoot! I want to practice interiors, another thing I hate drawing - bedrooms. My sister is really into architecture, so lucky me she has lots of fancy magazines with houses and stuff. I admit, I had a bit more fun with this bedroom then I thought I would. I think when I work on my portfolio my focus will be backgrounds instead of people!

am I still apart of the group? I havent been booted? o.o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my digital camera died, I cant take photos of my work in progress paintings. and I really need help on them too =/

until I can get photos of them, here are some other ugly sketches in the mean time. btw, I am having a lot of trouble opening threads on CA? for the past few days the connection just wouldnt work, CA would just die on me. anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there! your sb was at the top, so i decided to stop by. and i miss being in the group. perhaps i can rejoin?
    those interiors and exteriors are looking good. good color use too try some backgrounds from real life too.
    dont know about not being able to open the CA threads, i havent had that problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for visiting again! I dont even know if I am still in the group, haha!

here is a sketch and some painting edits. the dark painting is the older version, the lighter ones are showing where I am going with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a mutant kitty update!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow! What a crazy concept, those cats are freaky. But I love the style of painting. I was just checking out your posts on the first page and I really commend you for setting goals and working to meet them. You're working on a lot of the same things I want to work on. Keep posting, I hope to see more from you soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff, love the freaky cats and the goat study. :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grat cats, and great stuff over all, i want more drawings though
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glad you guys liked the cats =3

but I started to HATE them >_>;;;

call me crazy or stupid - but I started over again and went with a completely different style. this will be a series of paintings instead of just one big one. I know. . I know. . its lost its more realism edge. But I felt the realism was weak in the original anyways, and the painting for me started to feel so tight, rigid and plastic *literally I guess*

I redoodled the first cat and fell in love with his lines, so I kept them throughout the painting. More kitties coming soon!

PS. the photo is really orangy - my good camera is DEAD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your posts from the third of April and on are really cool

My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Starting on post number 62;

The small african boy; The first thing I notice wrong is the nose. Either that or it's the jaw. One or the other is wrong- if it's the nose, then it is about an inch too far over- if it's the jaw, it's a few inches too far over the other way. The bridge of the nose fits with the eyes, and the eyes are in perspective with the mouth, so I'm pretty sure the nose just needs to be moved over a bit. Your colors are great, but there are some parts that are a bit flat- the shirt especially, but also the lips and the forehead, and a little bit on the hair. The other thing that bugs me about this piece is the whit parts around his shirt- it makes it seem like you didn't want to render the clothes, or at least you were afraid to hurt other parts of the pic.

Post #64;
    The colors, again, are great. However, the jawline on the far side doesn't match the form you showed on the near side as well as it could. The nose seems almost broken, or crooked- like you really wanted to fit that far nostril in but it was set a little low. Again, the colors are very nice and rich. Unless there is some kind of symbol or ointment on her head though, there is a large blob of gold or something melting down onto her nose, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Again, the shadows are all a solid color and really flat- and while the details on the scarf are beautiful, the lighting suggests a cast shadow which is conspicuously absent. Adding that will really push this portrait. The necklace also looks very flat- you should render out the small cord to separate it from the neck, and adding a shadowed side of the emblem will also make it pop. The necklace also lacks a shadow. Again, I am astounded by your use of color. Very good choices.

Post 66#:
    (nice contant updates!)
    Red haired girl;

This one is probably one I had the most problem with. She is white- or latina at least, but she still has the large african lips, with very flat side of the face.While you did get alot of the shadows, and you have some EXCELLENT skin tones, there are some places that definitley could use some shadows. THe body is looking great, very nicely rendered. No complaints there, except maybe around the neck where the head seems 'severed' from the body. I won't complain much about your use of line, because it is obvious you have control over value and the lines are for stylistic purpose- but on the nose, the line there makes it look very flattened out. One trouble spot I notice that you have are the far-side cheeks/foreheads. They just don't quite match the organicness and flow of the form, they are rigid and make the face look morphed a little. I think it is a minor fix that makes a BIG difference. I think if you used a bigger brush, and though of the hair more as in sheets than as in strands, you would get a better effet. The colors on this again, are very nice. Getting stuff like this in a gallery should be a breeze for you.

Small oriental child;

The hand is a bit too 'half-assed' looking (very round, like an empty glove), and the bluish rim lights sort of give it a strange feeling. The sharp light on the nose seems out of place, but other than that this is one of your better portraits. You did goo with the cheeks I would suggest adding some light onto the hair though, just a bit. Not necessarily speculars even.

Post # 70;
    Great almost all around, except for the hand and legs. The legs are EXTREMLEY TINY, and the hand looks a bit... 'broken', I think it should wrap around the knee just a little better. If you blow the legs up a few sizes, and re-reference that hand though, this would be a great painting.

Tree paintings;
    The sketches are nice, very exploratory. Perhaps vary the colors more, use random colors and try to create interesting composition with the colors only, temperature and value-wise.

Post # 80
    Thebed is nice- the colors, again, are absolutley splendid. I love the use of line, and all the designs. My only gripe is the lack of contrast on the covers that would help define the bed a bit more, and the lack of consistent perspective on the ceiling. The rest is awesome.

Post # 81
    Botanical garden? Colors are GREAT, and so is the general layout- the colors are great, I love the washed look. I think you could have been a bit looser and more fun with all the round shapes though, the ceiling seems a bit too 'forced'. IT is a very nice pic though.

The sketch;
    Very nice. Some small perspective errors, I would recommend going over this with a proper perspective grid on a light box, to see how neat you can make it.

The trees have a very tree-like feel to them (duh), but it is something hard to capture for me. You got that down good.

Post # 83
    No Crits the ram is SUPERB drawing right there, and the kitties are playful and great colors, great design. This should definitley be put in a gallery somewhere. There are a bunch of online galleries, or real galleries with websites. I would make this piece your header, the first one you show. It demonstrates color, variety of subject, composition, design, concept- all the things it should show.

Hope I wasn't too harsh!

And I hope you are still awake!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.