Sketchbook: Smellykitty's Acrylic Blob (Daily) - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there. sorry im late. you watercolor insects are beautiful. and those mutant kittens are awesome (they remind me of a real life cyclops kitten i saw.) you also seem to have a good understanding of color, although i find the blue and orange lines you drew around the deer a little out of place.

no more critique at the moment, but im curious..what brand of acrylics do you use? i use Golden. one of the mediums i use with the acrylics is GAC 100. it will thin the paint slightly, giving it a slightly more transparent and glossy look and may help slow drying time. i also use their Light Molding Paste to give texture to the paint. maybe you could try that with your rocks. just a thought

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice head studies, is this "Tetsou" fella your own character or is he from some manga or something? Stylizations can be nice but I'd recommend you doing more "real" face studies before diving into to much stylized work as It tends to limit artists who don't base it on life drawing experience and a solid understanding of the human shape bur rather on other peoples work and style, it can become a interpretation of a interpretation if you know what I mean. Anyhow, that's my two cents

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay..I got a daily deviation on DA...*sniff*

suhsealyuh: I use liquitex acrylics, never tried golden before. I have tried using liquitex mediums, and I thought they all SUCKED. but maybe golden is a much better company I'll be sure to try their mediums in the future. btw, is the cyclops kitty real? I thought it was a fake so I didnt include one in my painting...thanks for the comments!

Jove: I'll be sure to do more studies then. . I have taken figure drawing though, and my own indepedent study of the human form in school. but still it felt like I wasn't learning, understanding or remembering what I have learned. but I did doodle these faces in a couple of minutes based off magazine images! so maybe I have improved...and to answer your question, its supposed to be Tetsuo from Akira - I'm obsessed!

and now that you guys know that I like my mutant animals, fascinating insects, and characters, I'm open to suggestions of what you think I should practice before making more finalized images.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your work!

I suggest some creatures...take a look at the daily sketch group posts. Awesome ideas there and fun stuff going on. Try your hand at a weekly event...I am doing my second COW now and its very inspiring to work alongside so many others.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the advice tom!

and I give up with this one! I just bs'd an ending to it. I got frustrated with it becuase I couldnt get the skin tones that I wanted. Its a very asian skin tone in the original picture, that yellow-olive skin color with some hints of red in some areas. but my overall piece is just orangy! when ever I tried to dull it down it was too grey. . now its just way off and I ruined the drawing underneath.

for my skin colors I stick to the basic colors, yellow, red, blue and white.

any suggestions in getting that olive skin?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I quite like the colors in the portrait despite what is intended. For olive skin id say a bit more blue maybe but I am the worst when it comes to colors so tread carefully in regards to advice I give.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That face with olive skintone is very good, the tone is working for me.
    and the sketches look very good. how bout doing some very quick ones infront of the mirror?

keep at it!
    //peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comments..im gonna try painting the olive face again! I already tried today but there wasnt much improvement. I have a lot of illustrations that just worked better with acrylics, but I think this one is begging for oils, I might have to pull them out tomorow!

so here is a character sketch I did for someone, the character is theirs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Great line work.

SmellyFeline, your touch with acrylics, watercolors, and other media is very nice. I really like the line quality to your work. I'd really like to see what you do with some of the bust drawings in oil. Keep the work coming. I'll be back!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man his wrist drawing the sword looks like its at an insane angle for real life, but fits great for the cartoon style!

If you choose to oil it up id be happy to have a look.

The best advice I can think of right now is: draw more or paint even more! Maybe take a break from creativity and show us a quick study or two.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff, keep doing the face studies. If you want to learn from it and put your mind into it, you will. I usually know that I've worked actively If I get real hungry after a while, the brain burns a lot more energy when you think and focus actively then if you just do something on reflex ;]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff, as adam said, the hand looks like it would be broken,
    other then that,
    keep posting.
    lovly stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh no! how can I fix the hand then! pld: I know the thumb is supposed to be down, but im not sure about everything else

here is quicky, decided to play with oils. was fun, havent used them in over a year. this one is just a little over an hour. still not the skin color I was going for, actually still looks like my first try. I used only the basic colors, blue, yellow and red. the face got wonky, as it always does...buh. I guess I could fix the lips tomorow when the paint is dry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    todays painting is still very very wet I'll be sure to take another picture when its dry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First don't stress about the hand. Your using a cartoon like style. So roll with it for now and finish the job. Once done I suggest a study on the realtionships between the wrist forearm and hand draw a page or two full of positions referenced from photos, books or the mirror.

The wet painting actually looks more alive than the dry one. Its cool you are able to capture it in that state. On the Olive skin try perhaps reading up on it a bit? Try this site:

click the tutorial link

Just a random search I did on skin tones. Keep at it, maintain a good work ethic and you will get there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats last painting is just amazing, this is a very nice start of the day
    i want some full body paintigns now please

keep up this amazing work!
    peace

Camberwell London,MA course-Athens Greece would be what i call home!
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love the orange and green insect head.
    VEry nice use of the brush stroke and the watercolour as a media.
    Since u like insects and characters why not draw the cliche fairy?
    All round very very good. ill be coming back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha! I was never the fairy type unless these are fairies with insect like faces then maybe!

thanks for the comments guys, and thanks for the tutorial link adam

today I just doodled misc things, including poses after poses after poses. heres one of the things I doodled, my character Straw! Hes a happy and sexy little macaque-inspired ape man. I added some colors onto him using OC, still deciding what his colors should be...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice character! The realitionship between the eyes and the circlet on the forehead works wonderfully perhaps repeat it on the dress or jewlery (as a motiff).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks!

sorry for not posting much, wasnt really home this weekend. I was spending time with family!

here is a WIP, I wanted to start painting it when I realized I was lacking some supplies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the character looks fantastic!
    i want to see it finished!
    the last one is looking alright, but i think you need to start it when you get the supplies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smelly some really nice new art you've got going. I really like your oils though. They're my favorite. Straw is a kickass idea. work on some more of those.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glad you guys like straw! and, I tried to paint my favorite character in oils, but Tetsuo and oils dont mix. So I pulled out my acrylics instead and had some fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good, however there seems to be some anatomy issues, his chest looks a bit wierd to me,
    otherwise, i love your akrylics!
    keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good character studies, you definately have a talented control over lighting with those paints. What I would like to see is an application of what you have learnt from these character studies and create your own "Tetsuo" like character.

As usual amazing color as well. The red interacting with the blues/greens is engaging and creates a great focus point. It real allows us to explore the characters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glad you like the colors! I'll be sure to keep those things in mind too! I'm not good with male or female chests o.o hmm..something to work on

I bought two awesome books yesturday. One of them is called Fresh Fruits featuring Japanese Street Fashion, the other just has awesome portraits from around the world. I wanted to continue painting faces especially - and I just got tired of super plastic models >:/

heres an angry boy with flowers on his head. my scanner ate it up, blotched up the dark background and added funny white lines by his chin, but you get the idea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With your cartoony sketches you need to think more about forms. Alot of the features are very distorted because you sort of just went with stereotypical shapes.. Look in the mirror and draw those emotions, then redraw them in your character using yourself as reference.. this keeps your work fresh and original so you aren't just going off of other artsits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    justin made some very good points,
    keep at it!
    looking good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lookin Good

The acrylics are nice as usual. The portrait of the boy is really good. I think if you softened some of it's lines a bit it would really finish it off nice. Keep the work coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's great to see your traditional work, I especially like the second face (the woman with fluffy hair on a green background) although the eyes are a little close together and I think the mouth is a bit to big. the monkey character is very nice but the hands are a bit stiff. Other then that I think Justin gave you some good pointers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.