Art: prismacolor markers and how to use them

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

prismacolor markers and how to use them

recently i invested in a set of prismacolor markers (warm grey 10%, 30%, 50%, 70%, 90%, cool grey 10%, 30%, 50%, 70%, 90%, and black), and a china white pencil. i was very inspired by the work on this board, and especially feng, who ive been following for about a year and a half. so anyways, the reason im posting is to ask for your help. if any of you can give me any tips for someone starting with these markers, or if you can link me to anything relevant i would greatly appreciate your help. thanks a lot.

edit: and yes i have seen fengs marker tuturial

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    other than the feng tutorial, I highly suggest looking at any of Doug Chiangs work, the lead artist from starwars, the Art of Star Wars episodes 1 and 2 are filled with tons of really cool marker work and you can learn a lot just by studying those images.

as far as techniue goes, I'm no master, but I have to agree that it just takes a lot of experimentation to figure out a method that works best for you, what works for one person may not be as comfortable for another.

But from what I gather, most people start out with a light rough underdrawing done in either 10% grey or pencil of some kind, then proceed to ink. picking out the details and defining them a bit, add in shadows or color after the first round of ink with your darker markers. Now depending on the level of detail you want, you continue refining line waits and color as needed, maybe add some highlights with white to bring out some details.

sorry, I'm probably not telling you anything you dont already know...I would just suggest experimenting as much as possible, get a bunch of typing paper and have at it...

Last edited by Titan; August 2nd, 2002 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL

titan didnt you read his post.. hehe

Hey Sentient.. some things I found that helps..

1. work on marker paper ( I asked this question a week or two ago..) or photocopy paper... those are 2 nice surfaces that work well...

2. What I like to do.... is draw something in pencil... scan it.. edit it a little remove all the excess lines.. and print out a few version.. then ink the best one.. normally i do 2 or 3 cause Im still learning.. and I mess up a ton with pens.. then I scanned the ink version I like and print out a few of those and go to town with the markers... I also found that you can work 2 ways.. doing a color then letting it dry for a bit.. then going back in with the next shade.. or working wet.. which ever works for you..( I think you get a more blended feel if you stay wet) Also I found that you can work from darks down to lightest or up... Also if you are worried about highlights and dont want to mark that area.. dont worry so much about them just go back in with your pencil... or get some white gauche..

But the best peice of advice.. just try it alot.. until you get comfortable..

Oh I heard that if your pens dry up you can open them up and pour some rubbing alchahol in em.. and presto a brand new pen.. you can do it about 3 times before they start to dull... *but I havent tried it.. so be careful*

good luck man.

OH another thing.. sometimes if you are working on a peice *digitally*, and you have the main of it shaded, but want to add details and dont know what to do.. sometimes printing it out, at 50% opacity and going in with pens and markers is fun, and lets you experiment.. Plus it lets you rotate your picture a ton, and check all the anatomy etc.. and you can SEE what you need to fix.

example: this was a work progress on a peice I did

Final:

Last edited by Deth Jester; August 2nd, 2002 at 04:20 AM.
    -Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i remember seeing this piece on another forum, i cant remember if i commented or not but i fell in love with it while it was a work in progress on up to its compltion. its cool to see a pic go from a squiggle of a pose to a finished piece. the broken sword is a nice touch.

in terms of markers, ive only played a little bit with them... so i dont really know. for shading one time i made a gradient with the cool grays, 20% on up and the took a clear blender and it blended rather nicely. that was just messing around though. just practice practice too... unfortunately i have no links except feng's tut, sorry.

chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

oooooppppppsss, my mistake....sorry..

no I didnt see your last line. lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chris it is still a WIP for me.. I have alot of things I want to work on since I stopped on it.. I have learned a tremendous amount of things since then...

I was doing some research on the markers for tutorials and info.. this is what I got:

Alot of people recomend Tria Markers as well as prismacolor..

here is a link to a tutorial:

http://www.painterprecious.com/markers/index.shtml

D. Chiang's Tut:
    http://www.dchiang.com/robota/studio...udiotips1.html

Another 2 Tut's
    http://foloking.free.fr/tutorials.html

Just a thread: 3 posts

http://pub25.ezboard.com/fpolykarbon...cID=3934.topic

thread on Sijun:
    http://www.sijun.com/cgi-bin/ultimat...c&f=2&t=002753

Quote from someone:
    Some great flesh tones are 473 and 475, with maybe a medium brown mixed in there. Although flesh has no true base tone, these give a realistic feel which you can build upon.

Quote from Feng on Sijun:
    I like prisma markers the best. They are cheap and very juicy. Bad side - they run out fast! I usually go through one or two markers after every sketch.

Markers are hard to use at first (i remember how fustrated i was). Practice w/ the gray ones first. Don't mess w/ the colors until you have the technique down. Learn how to build up values using only the grays.
    When using markers, try to keep your strokes consistant. Don't cross-hatch w/ markers. Build up values by going over the same marker stroke over and over again w/ darker value markers. After you get familiar w/ them, then you can experiment w/ cross-hatching or whatever to get different texture effects. In the begining tho, keep it simple and clean. It's very easy to get things very muddy if you're not careful.

hope this helps..

-feng

Another thread on sijun:
    http://www.sijun.com/cgi-bin/ultimat...c&f=2&t=004624

site with some kind of markers:
    http://www.copicmarker.com/

Someone mentioned Tombo Brush Markers.. they might be cool to try...

All this is really random.. Im still looking.. but it doesnt look like there is alot out there on tutorial wise.. Maybe Ill sit down and do a bunch.. hehe.. Maybe if Feng gets more free time he can do another step by step tutorial.. even though his is pretty in depth...

I think from all the reading.. it was plain to see that.. It is hard in the beginning and you will struggle, but you eventually will get better at them... I guess its like everything else.

Good Luck

Last edited by Deth Jester; August 2nd, 2002 at 05:55 PM.
    -Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wow

first, thanks for the tutorials, really help amateurs like me.
    im not from a country were you can get these markers easily and i just get prom usa 10 copicks markers, crimsom, ultramarine, avocato,canary yellow peco peach, sand ,mocha ligthcool grey 40%,black and acolorless blender that I dont really undestand
    eny tips for someone whit not mani colors?
    really apreciated

Members who have read this thread: 1