Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Johnnyhorse's Sketch-Journal

Thanks

Johnnyhorse's Sketch-Journal

Hey everyone,
    My name's John, and I thought I'd take advantage of this wonderful part of CA.

You can usually find me around the DSGs, sometimes critiquing in the proper section, and trying to fit in with the "__ of the Week"ers.
    Also, to get a more broad idea of what my more concentrated, finished work looks like, check out : http://casus-solari.deviantart.com/ ... oh DeviantArt! How lost you've become.

Okay, now on to the sketches.
    My first score of posts will probably be utilizing my new toy--a self inking sumi brush-pen.

::Here's what I did inbetween classes, totaling about 1.5 hours.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I recently moved to a new University, and ever since then I've been complaining about their lack of a decent art program... well, I found a student-run figure drawing class every week, so I'm pretty content now

::Here's the first, er second session I think; Sumi brush again, obviously:

All of the poses may seem kind of bland. The model typically does about 3 long poses over 2 hours, so I just run all over the room and make quick sketches...

Oh, and most importantly (I forgot in the initial post), Comments and critiques, or just if you have anything at all to say, is MUCH appreciated... thanks!

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks, designboot. I have one more landscape coming soon, with more of a fantasy feel to it.

Thanks
    Here's the other landscape I did around the same time as the first piece I posted. As finished as it'll ever be, I'm afraid. (btw, was studying Greek and Etruscan architecture at this time).
    ::

Thanks
    This echoes the critique I gave you on dA, but I don't think the ink brush gives you more than one value- and because of that I think it is a terrible medium for figure drawing. My suggestion is to try a different medium that can capture the intricate play of light that makes figure drawing exciting, like charcoal, graphite or even water color.

For your landscape, I don't see Greek/Etruscan influence as much as I see Asian influence- Greek/Etruscan roofs look nothing like that! You got the lighting done well with that one, but with the trees, again, the ink brush is simply too dark.

Thanks
    Kick ass set of inks here...both the landscapes and the figure drawing. I really like the amounts of arkd in thyose first set of landscapes! Keep posting!
    ...a perpetual plan for discovery days,where everyone can take part in "purposeless play".
    My Sketch 'em up book!!
    My Blog/portfolio site- purposelessplay.com/blog

Thanks
    Henry: But the texture... just so addictive! (and easy, haha)
    Thanks for the critique. I finally got around to getting some more conte crayon, but the same trend applies here as well--Now I just need some charcoal. This weekend's session I was able to do a full pencil rendering with some more successful sumi ink figures. Unfortunately, I can only scan the stuff in when I'm back in Omaha I got more figures coming from several weeks ago.
    PS. Some of the Etruscan temples had noticeably oriental roof structures, but I think my addition of the crest on the roof makes it much too Asian, I agree.

silvestri99: Thanks for taking a look and the kind words. Towards the end of that triptic it's probably obvious that I got too excited with all the ink and lost some of the gracefulness

Here's a piece I've been working on for several months now--it's really bugging me! You may recognize it (or not) from Environment of the Week 32: Ruined Shipyard.
    That was 3 months ago... here is where it is at now... almost completely without a trace of the last painting. If you look really closely, the area/dock on the bottom left is kind of the same

As always, and especially for this case, comments, and even moreso, critiques, are incredibly appreciated!
    Last edited by Johnnyhorse; November 13th, 2006 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks
    Well, it does not look Greek at least, especially if your idea of a Greek temple is solely based upon the Parthenon.

Personally I love graphite- the tone is very similar to pencil (duh) yet it can be rought when it needs to be, and respond to a way charcoal would. Conte is much more challenging- I haven't been able to grasp tricolor technique using Conte yet, it's just too tough.

How big are your sketches by the way? You've mentioned that you are to scan them in, and most of my drawings are way too big for a scanner- probably easier to get a dSLR.

Thanks
    All of the ink stuff is done in my little 8.5 x 11 sketchbook. I stand far enough away so that it's not awkward to fit it all in one page. I initially did some pieces on large newsprint, but I keep forgetting to bring a clipboard/backboard for that.
    I'm still experimenting I guess.

As for the architecture. The Greek stuff transitioned into the Etruscans--both have similar features. The foremost building is actually based on an Etruscan temple, but with all the ink a lot of the shape was lost. I suppose the Greek portion of it is the idea of acropolis (high city) and some of the columns existing in the structure. Greek structures are a little too bland to draw for my taste.

Thanks
    I only use a sketchbook of that size for portraits- I find them too small for figure drawings unless you are working on certain details like hands/facial features, etc.

I only use newsprint for under 5 minute sketches- if it is something you invest more than 30 minutes, chances are they will turn out at least somewhat decent, and deserves to be worked on with a quality paper. Oh yeah, I cannot draw on a desk with figure drawings anymore, I am completely dependent on an easel.

Thanks
    Agreed, I always use easels for larger works. For the sketchbook, I am actually just standing up drawing, holding it in my left arm...else I mess up proportions typically.

Thanks
    I tried both the easel and the flat...and I always lose proportion on the flat because of the eye to flat surface aspect...my figures always turn out too tall! Yuo can even see it on some of the modelled figures on my portfolio website.

I really like your sumi brushes! I've used the same pen for gestures without much success but I still like the feel of the brush. I reaeeally like the landscapes you did in the first post...my only crit is...my eye doesn't know where to go!

re: the shipyard....2nd version looks great so far! Goodc all on having th ship where it is to lead the eye into the scene. The only thing I might suggest is to alter the angle of the ship to the right (creating a circular motion for the eye to follow).

Are you an architecture student?
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast