Sketchbook: // Bianca's Sketchbook and first post. Critique GREATLY urged! //
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: // Bianca's Sketchbook and first post. Critique GREATLY urged! //

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking // Bianca's Sketchbook and first post. Critique GREATLY urged! //

Hey there, everybody. I just joined today, by reference by my brother. He said that his Colour Theory professor or someone like that told him this website's users will tear your art up if you don't draw like a pro. I am not one to cry over harsh criticism however -- in fact, I'd greatly appreciate it! So please, tell me if, in your humble opinions, I have talent or not and what I need to work on. I can see that everyone here are fantastic artists, and I'm excited to speak with all of you.

(Keep in mind while looking that I am only 16, have only taken high school Art classes, and none of these are meant to be exactly professional. Still though, don't go easy on me. Thanks!)

Attached Images Attached Images                                    
    Last edited by backinburntcity; November 12th, 2006 at 09:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You definitely have talent, though I am not in any position to crit you. I will leave that to the more senior members. Lot of skill in this stuff. My advice is to post as often as possible. Not only does this encourage you to draw regularly which is the best way to improve, but also makes comments from the other users more likely. People like to see lot's of updates.

Welcome to the forums, hope you have fun and learn a lot. See you around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Thank you for your compliments,
    Q-Caddlewick. And your advice is very helpful -- I don't really know how these forums work at all. I guess I shouldn't have posted all my stuff right away in one post... I really regret that now, because it takes a while for me to start up projects once I actually set a goal for myself. Ah, well! I'm working on two right now, and I have one cartoon-ish thing I can post here meanwhile.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are pretty good for a 16 year old copying from pictures. However they do have that "copied from a photo look". Start drawing from life, simple shapes like cubes, spheres,cones to understand what things look like (study how light affects volume). Also Portraits and self portraits are really good to practice. It will vastly improve what you bring to these types of drawings. There are also slight proportional issues which would be helped by studying anatomy. Try these they have helped me more to understand anatomy then copying from anatomy books. http://the-structure-of-man.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got to say i like your portraits but i have to agree with draw. Just copy pictures from books dont give you that much in return.
    Your very good at seeing different values so keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by draw
    These are pretty good for a 16 year old copying from pictures. However they do have that "copied from a photo look". Start drawing from life, simple shapes like cubes, spheres,cones to understand what things look like (study how light affects volume). Also Portraits and self portraits are really good to practice. It will vastly improve what you bring to these types of drawings. There are also slight proportional issues which would be helped by studying anatomy. Try these they have helped me more to understand anatomy then copying from anatomy books. http://the-structure-of-man.blogspot.com/
    Thanks for the compliment, and the advice. One thing I should say is that the third drawing (the black and white inked one of a guy, flowers, and fish bowl) is of my own imagination, and the 7th, 14th, and last one are all in a style that I made up (so there's a little of my own imagination in those too), but for everything else, you are right -- I did draw from photos. (Just clarifying.)

I will definitely check out that blog; thanks very much for the link. I've been thinking about how studying anatomy is probably the next step for me. I was also actually going to do a self-portrait very soon, so at least I've been on the right track on how to improve my drawing. Your input will be very helpful to me, so thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by motives
    I got to say i like your portraits but i have to agree with draw. Just copy pictures from books dont give you that much in return.
    Your very good at seeing different values so keep it up!
    Thanks very much! I have to disagree with your comment that 'copy pictures from books dont give you that much in return' though -- I get to stare at my favourite musicians' faces for hours at a time, and that's a reward in itself for these little things I do.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.