Requesting Crits
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Requesting Crits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Requesting Crits

Well I think I'm close to finishing this picture and i was just wanted to get some opinions and thoughts from the talented people on this site anyway thank you for any help that I get.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is an unusual composition you’ve got going on here. It feels a bit like the camera got jostled out of position, but I think you’re exploring in a good direction.

What’s the story here? What I read is “green glowy man meets hooded faceless man in front of green glowy swamp forest”.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello

-If you meant the hooded figure to be camouflaged it works i guess, otherwise, you need to separate him from the background. If you squint - he becomes a tree stump. His texture, color, value- everything is the same so you need to use those elements to separate him..

-Even though its seems to be a swamp/bog you still need to puch up the colors a bit more - they seem chalky. It would be nice to hint at warmer colors in the shadow side

-Placing you main subject on the corner like that is very awkward. You have all that space and he's off on the corner - did you have a reason for this?

-The perspective of the raft needs to be fixed - its facing up at this point and needs to be foreshortened. Now it look like the raft is sinking and the hooded guy is trying to save him from falling off the edge of the page.

-The placement of the trees need to be more natural - the 3 in the midground are placed very evenly. You also need to maybe indicate more trees in the background to show depth and atmosphere vs having it stop all of a sudden

I would look at some reference of forests/trees enveloped in fog, light breaking through trees, etc... to help you figure out the values and help you with the mood you're trying to establish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for this crits, well this picture is meant to show the robed figure (represents death) drawing the spirit (glowy green thing) towards the afterlife. As to the positioning of the figure yes i know its a little bit strange but I thought it made it look like they were embarking on a journey which was roughly what I was aiming for.
    I did lay a different texture over the robed guy to begin with but maybe this wasnt strong enough but i always find geting cloth to work properly difficult, could you tell me what you would do roughly to get the figure to stand out. I have just quickly painted over some warmer colours and well i'm not really sure if they work or not or if i should strengthen or weaken them. Oh and I'm still not sure whether the raft's perspective is right. Anyway thanks for your replies they've been a real help.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apts - what you are trying to do here is complicated - figures in an environment all from imagination. Have you spent much time drawing from life? Practice drawing things from life that you would like to include here, such as cloth, or trees, or reflections on water.

If you are interested, there's a link in my sig called "Concept Art 101" that could help you. . .

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I did my art GCSE a while ago which involved a fair bit of painting from still life but it was pretty unvaried and we were never really given any choice in what to draw. That thread you've made looks great already started on the first thing and i can see it will be great for developing concepts for future pics aswell as developing my drawing skills but now I'm going to get some rest so I don't do the usual thing and keep drawing until 2 in the morning and spend the majority of my day at school slumped over my desk sleeping but once again thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what a GCSE is, but it's almost impossible to do too much art-from-life, and I'm thrilled you're interested in my assignments! :-) I look forward to seeing your results.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.