Modern Nart- does anyone actually like it?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs down Modern Nart- does anyone actually like it?

It has come to my attention lately that art gelleries are overflowing with modern art, or as i call it, nart. Is there anyone here who actually prefers modern art to traditional art that actually looks like something, not just somebodies 'idea'.

ps how do you change the name of a thread? please answer thanks

Last edited by Swift (BM); November 11th, 2006 at 02:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If people didn't like it, why would they be in so many galleries?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    because ppl are sheep?

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like some, i don't like some

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Modern Nart- does anyone actually like it?
    A simple answer: Yes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have the same answer as jrr.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Steinmetz, is that you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sheep are tasty..people...not so much. ...and I think JRR summed it up. Theres plenty of annoying/pointless realist art out there (cough...thomas kinkade..cough) So yeah, not all modern art is 35 polaroids of scrotums arranged to form a female symbo. I have to say I'm not a big fan of minimalism as it is too much of a stretch...I need more than some white blocks to be interested...I get it, its about space and structure and formal stuff, but that doesn't make it interesting. However I genuinely like the work of the Abrstract Expressionists, Futurists, and some of the really early abstract painters. Frantisek Kupka rocks my ass, as well as the abstract stuff by a guy named Stanton Mcdonald Wright. SMW came up with a system that equated the colors of the color wheel, to musical notes, and would base paintings arond keys of colors with chords and what not. I saw a major retrospective of his work in Raleigh a few years ago and was blown away. As far as more current stuff...I like anything that makes me think, and is visually interesting.

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Art fills many functions, up to and including providing decorative objects that exist merely to match people's sofas. I don't find anything about this to be objectionable or a threat to my own ideals or career.

To change the name of your thread, press the "edit" button and then "go advanced".

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thomas Kinkade is a realist? I thought he is your fellow fantasy artist. Painting a gingerbread house, forbidden apple for two children from brothers Grimm's fairy tale .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oh while we're at it, does anyone actually like Kafka? Because i think he is a whiny bitch!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eww, Thomas Kinkade..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthogua
    Sheep are tasty..people...not so much.
    Robots say people taste like bacon

On topic, yes people like it. I'm hit and miss, myself. Some stuff is cool, other stuff is crap. Like most anything else, isn't it?

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bet people are actually quite tasty...Just think about it, a tender meat from doing nothing but stare at a computer screen or watch TV, high fat levels, well balanced vitaminic and mineral diet...MMMMmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh and about people= sheep, Is espected that people will be subject to bandwagon effects about pretty much anything you can think of. So, to point out that something might be under a bandwagon effect is irrelevant to it´s true value.

For example, people´s opinion on Kinkade on this very thread is a bandwagon effect towards disliking his work. But in another context he would just be another artist. The hype he produced on himself works for and against him in similar proportions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't like alot of Modern Art. I recently saw this show at the Polk Museum of Art, near where my Hs is (We take our art classes at the museum) And there was this piece that was just a huge piece of cardboard with what looked like a mix of cream cheese, vomit and chicken gizzards sprayed all over it. Then the 'artist' placed soda cans at strategic intervals. Actually, they weren't strategic, they were just slapped on there. I'm sorry, that's just not art. Eww, seriously, I got sick looking at it.

I like most art if it's powerful and realistic. Thomas Kinkade, in my opinion, is a very good artist. I love the way he paints light. And although I'm inclined to not like him as much now that he christened himself 'The Painter of Light' (It makes himself sound a bit full of it), I know that he's just another artist, and a talented one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this thread seems very popular, thats cool, a popular thread by me.
    PS- check out my SB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now that you told me too, I won't!

Ha hah!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    go on.... you know you want to............
    i'm gonna look at yours..........

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thing with modern art is that the thoughts and processes behind it are often integral to appreciating the artwork. Things like cubism attempted to represent 4 dimensions on one canvas. Futurism introduced movement and the passage of time to stuff.

I'd don't like many of the pieces as such, I hate Jackson Pollock, but there are many ideas - such as layering and movement and the representation of 4 dimensions - that I'm trying to incorporate into my own art. Remember Modern Art was rarely made to please (right?)

- d.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is about the 200th thread on "modern" art that has appeared here since I came along, and I'm gettin' a little pissed about it...

Why?

Because the thread starter doesn't tell me what modern art is. Is it all art created since 1990? Yesterday? Should I go to the gallery and wait to see who slips in something while I stand there?

Since I can't get my mind around something being "modern" that is older than me, I'm constantly a bit confused by the questions asked by such learned and well-informed students of the history of art. I just know Remington, Rockwell, Picasso and Klee aren't "modern" because they're like really old dudes. How about the guy that did that dogs playin' poker thing? Or Pollock? Or Frazetta? They gotta be modern 'cause I seen their stuff when it first came out. (Sorry to sound so uninformed...I didn't get to go to college 'cause i was poor and stoopid...)

Can one of you whiz bangs please clear this up for me? Oh, and use little words that I'll unnerstand...okay?

(...and "Sarcasm" is spelled without a "k"...)

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    This is about the 200th thread on "modern" art that has appeared here since I came along, and I'm gettin' a little pissed about it...

Why?

Because the thread starter doesn't tell me what modern art is. Is it all art created since 1990? Yesterday? Should I go to the gallery and wait to see who slips in something while I stand there?

Since I can't get my mind around something being "modern" that is older than me, I'm constantly a bit confused by the questions asked by such learned and well-informed students of the history of art. I just know Remington, Rockwell, Picasso and Klee aren't "modern" because they're like really old dudes. How about the guy that did that dogs playin' poker thing? Or Pollock? Or Frazetta? They gotta be modern 'cause I seen their stuff when it first came out. (Sorry to sound so uninformed...I didn't get to go to college 'cause i was poor and stoopid...)

Can one of you whiz bangs please clear this up for me? Oh, and use little words that I'll unnerstand...okay?

(...and "Sarcasm" is spelled without a "k"...)

Modern Art refers to much of the art created in a period between 1900 to 1950 (round about) in which abstraction flourished and originality was the order of the day. And yes, Picasso was a modernist. Just go read it up in Wikipedia, there's too much in modern art to try and summarize in one post. We spent an entire 10 weeks on it at college.

- d.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sarkasmus. Nope, there's a k in it for me, but i'm a german dood. Modern art and german doods, we go way back. Bumpy ride though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there is a few modern art movements that dont make me what to hit someone. i kinda liked the form and function ideas of constructivism. but alot of the stuff i see that puts more focus on the process and the object then subject and imagery. anything that the artists has to explain to me why its good i tend not to like. the thing the bugs me the most is the fofo ideas that the artists like to add to some half assed blobs of paint. and if i hear another person in a gallery talk about how the piece is all about the artists struggel to create im gona....well probley just roll my eye and leave the gallery, but still its annoying. but hay some of those crazy crazy basterds make some pritty stuff. in college i wrote the whole first draft of my theises on how alot of the ideas that these people champion and insane and stupid. i talk about one artist in preticular alot and he drove me nuts. but now that im looking back at it i dont even remeber his name. i think that might say something about the staying power of some of this stuff.(or my memory)

Modern art is a general term used for most of the artistic production from the late 19th century until approximately the 1970s. (Recent art production is more often called Contemporary art or Postmodern art). Modern art refers to the then new approach to art where it was no longer important to represent a subject realistically — the invention of photography had made this function of art obsolete. Instead, artists started experimenting with new ways of seeing, with fresh ideas about the nature, materials and functions of art, often moving further toward abstraction.
    edit: wow 2 posts came up in the time it took me to write this novel of crap

edit#2: oh heres someone who sucks, joseph marioni

Last edited by joelhinxman; November 11th, 2006 at 04:00 PM.
    never updated sketchbook

hopefully weekly updated blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...okay...I'll play along...

Thank you, Brendan, for clearing that up for me. It was a great relief to realize that drd and Swift weren't referring to stuff like this...since it was all created after 2001...

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha yea i guess cause its after 1970 that would make it contemporary sucky art and not modern sucky art

never updated sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

*Ilaekae goes to beat his head against the cinderblock wall in the basement...*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    now that ive decided to try to stop being stupid(if thats possible). i think that the art we are talking about in this tread is more of postmodern art. which is kinda based on the idea that everything has already been done so there just gona stop trying to make it look good and go crazy with the theory of it all.

never updated sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah im a bit confused myself after reading other peoples post's, wtf do you mean by modern art?

At first i thought you ment, the abstract crap, the examples Ilaekae posted. But now i am thinking otherwise.

Well, to answer your question based on what i thought...If you are refering to the type of samples Ilaekae posted, (people please don't take offense) but, personally i can't stand that kind of art. I do not like abstract art. Well, the majority of it anyhow. There is some stuff that is really good, and i respect that stuff only when i see it. A couple reasons i don't like it is because first of all it does not appeal to me at all, how many people can take paint and slap it on a canvas, in different types of patterns... To much of this art is respected and purchased way more then realist art, or something that actually looks like something. Alot of realist artists, and semi realist artist work there asses off to get to a stage they are at. It is very hard to portray the human figure or a a landscape or whatever in a realistic form, with paint.

For those reason's i think its a bunch of bullshit and quick way to make some cash and a horrible reason to call yourself an artist.

~JB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinBeckett

For those reason's i think its a bunch of bullshit and quick way to make some cash and a horrible reason to call yourself an artist.

~JB
    I think many played it that way, including Jackson Pollock, who claimed to have absolute control over every single splatter of paint. There are however some that are not full of bullshit. In fact there are quite a few piece that started off realistically and was reworked time after time in oder to get to something. Check out Picasso, George Braque and the unforgettable Marcel Duchamp. This type of art is more about thought and the process behind it than the actual piece. Lots of stuff to learn from them, even if you don't appreciate the pieces.

Don't be too quick to dismiss modern art, even if you don't like it. Graphic Design, for all practical reasons, started with modern art.

EDIT: The only real problem I have with modern art is it's "elitist." You need to know something about art and often something about the piece to appreciate it. Their hole attitude was really fucked up - they were too far up their own arses to make something likable to the common man. Personally I say art isn't just for artists, it's for everyone.

- d.

Last edited by Brendan N; November 11th, 2006 at 05:06 PM.
    Brendan Noeth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.