animation or illustration?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: animation or illustration?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

animation or illustration?

ok. here's my case. i'm currently studying in the academy of art university in san francisco. i'm doing my first semester in visual development under the school of animation and visual effects.i want to be a concept art illustrator and my dilemma is whether should i stay in this department or switch to illustration cause

1. this visual development course is apparently crafted for those who wants to be concept artists. the course consists of both illustration and animation courses meaning you'll have a little bit of both. if i stay it would mean i'll have average illustrative skills but i'll have 3d and animation skills as well.

2. if i switch to illustration, that would mean illustration would be a very strong point of mine, but i would lack in the 3d/animation side.

so for those of you who are already in the industry. what do you say i do?

thanks alot in advance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It brings up the question of why can't you do both??

I've always thought the best animators can draw and the best illustrators know something about animation. Dabble in both if you can. Both of these skill sets over lap in a lot of areas. The more you learn, the better you'll be off in the long run.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyboard Dave
    It brings up the question of why can't you do both??

I've always thought the best animators can draw and the best illustrators know something about animation. Dabble in both if you can. Both of these skill sets over lap in a lot of areas. The more you learn, the better you'll be off in the long run.
    True enough but I have seen a good share of illustrators who know close to nothing about animation, yet most of my friends who are animators (including myself) who can manage to spend most of their free time becoming better illustrators.

Not that it's impossible for an illustrator to do animation, it's just more likely you'll find spare time to work on your illustration skills then animation (as it may require more in-depth material and a mentor...unless you plan on reading books every night and re watch all the disney/dreamworks/pixars/oldies features over and over). But like I said it's up to you.

I'm doing a bachelor in animation (3rd year) and most of my courses are 2D/illustrative oriented when only 2 are actually animation classes (1 2D and 1 3D). To get in animation you also need to have a stong illustrative background in order to have a good understanding of stucture/anatomy/composition and linework. It's not just "i've seen the last pixar movie lol i wanna make films". I get to do layouts al the time, storyboards, painting (digital and traditional) all the time at school...and then i get home and i do even more illustrations.

So to make this short either choice is right, it's up to you and how much effort you're ready to put in your studies/passions. (that's just my opinion btw)

alx

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.