Hey there, fella!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hey there, fella!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey there, fella!

I decided that I need to work on drawing clothing so that I can escape from the generic shirt/unidentifiable pants trap I seem to have fallen into when I draw characters. I also wanted to try a more dynamic pose than the kind I usually do, hence my latest work.

I'm still not sure what color I want to make the shoes; orginally they were going to be another shade of blue, but I'm afraid that the image may be getting too saturated with it even though blue was my color scheme. I'm also not sure if I've put enough contrast into the overall piece; he's supposed to be outside in sunlight, like the kind you'll find on a city street, so I tried to make the light more diffuse and not strong, buuuuut that may have been the wrong thing. Lighting situations are not my strong point.

Any comment/critique muchly appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to get better at clothing, I recommend doing studies from Hogarth's "Dynamic wrinkles and drapery"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hiya, popped your pic into photo shop because It's easier to show then to type things.. ps ahead of time I didn't just stick to the clothes
    A. the first thing that pops out to me is his facial proportions are a little to high. I have a little diagram drawin of the round about proportions of the face.
    most people tend to go a little high.
    B. This poor fella's neck is a bit bent akwardly think of the neck as a cylinder, it's helpful.
    C. another common mistake, your shoulders extend beyond your ribcage this fella has very narrow shoulders I get that it was supposed to be a poofy jacket that would make his ribcage look much wider but the jacket seems very flattened.
    D. where the clothes wrap around the body like this you should try and draw it wrapping around. you have to try and invision the whole thing 3 dimentionally a poofy jacket wouldn't lie flat against him like that.
    E. Don't be afraid of the darks! (cheezy sorry) shadows are your friend, try and get everything you can out of the tonal ranges, contrast is your friend, and well placed tonal values help creat the illusion of depth.
    keep on workin at it. there are some nice elements here, the waving hand is quite nice and your shapes over all aren't bad. I think your at the point where your still clinging on the 2d word when you start thinking of the 3dimentionality of the figure, and wrapping the clothes around the body your stuff will really take off.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.