Elf in armour

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Elf in armour

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Elf in armour

i have got most of the idea there and and working on the ligthing now. i have to down tools right now since im dog tired its a basic image in many ways but it started out as a portrait peice and i just added away to it and extended the canvas.

comments crits etc welcome

j mac

Attached Images Attached Images  
    nothing to lose so go for it
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. I like the background, so many details *stares*. I'd love to see this one finished.
    But something got me thinking:Where does the light come from? I can make out one that is placed up high in the center... the pavilion has its shadow on the left and the obelisk has one to the right side, the walls got the shadow an the left the figure got right hand side shadow even though the wall next to the elf got the shadow on the left.--> you got me confused *_*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The color of the elf's skin/armor and the railings/trim/obelisk are all very similar and it's flattening things up. I'd warm up elf and cool down the obelisk (greenish foresty cool from the light filtered through the leaves).
    I think if you want to strengthen the focus on the elf I'd close up the canopy some around the gazebo and obelisk. Right now the sky/hair/eyes are strong in such a way that, when I first focus on the face, I then follow the sky to the gazebo (mainly the area with the sky behind it) and my eyes pretty much just keep bouncing between the face and gazebo.

Right now it also looks like the elf is just about as tall as the wall. That makes the gazebo seem kinda small. The armor (mainly the arm armor) looks a bit small (or thin). I'd imagine the arms to be close to the size of the armor, so it feels like they'd be tight in there. It's hard to tell where the center line going down the chest is too. The point on the chest plate feels like it's pointing to the left or into the painting while the amulet feels like it's pointing more out of the painting.

I like the concept and the execution so far looks pretty good. The designs for the armor and masonry look very nice and the layout of the area feels appropriately elven.

Last edited by Chender; November 9th, 2006 at 12:30 AM. Reason: pros!
    Trust me
    as long as I donít look
    no one gets hurt.
    as long as I donít care,
    youíll be safe:warm:good to
    handle.
    Really!

My Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you for the replies,

spot on with regards the light its coming down the middle so it gets lost in the trees. the point on the flatness was something that bothered me and i was playing about with some blues to break it up but moving it into the greener area of the colour bar adds a bit more natural tone, thanks for the pointers

anyway this is where its at now, lots more added i think.

Elf in armour

nothing to lose so go for it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's much nicer now that you've cleaned it up. Maybe you could find a way to make the elf figure pop out more. The way it's set up right now doesn't give a very good sense of depth. Perhaps you could desaturate the backgrounds a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blur the focus on the background maybe?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem is that the contrast on your elf is the same as the contrast in the scene. Therefore, all the objects blend together into one homologous mass.

I suggest making the environment lighter and make the shadows/highlights brighter on the character. This will separate the elf into the foreground.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.