Art: The analog Mr. Mu "noob to skilled" progression - new: with added skillz!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The analog Mr. Mu "noob to skilled" progression - new: with added skillz!

Hi folks,

I am trying to get better at photography and thought I might give it a try via this forum.

I do this the analog way with a Pentax Super A (aka Super program) and a couple of fixed focal length lenses and one zoom.

The new photos will mostly til exclusively be b/w photography, because beginning with my next film I will start to process my films myself to gain higher control about the results I get from it.

GOALS:

- I want to get better! (I want to make the title of the thread come true )
    - I want to be able to reliably produce/create a photo
    - I want to be able to shoot my own usable reference photography for my artistic anatomy exercises (see also: http://mu.cgsociety.org/gallery/ )
    - I want to have fun!

So c&c away at those images and help a noob out.

for starters, two frames from my "first" film (after a decade-long break)

monolith II

monolith

images from before my decade long break with my old vivitar camera, for the sake of completeness and because I like them... (hrng, excuse the crappy scans!)

tree I

tree II

ATTACHMENT EDIT:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mr. Mu; November 13th, 2007 at 07:59 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!
    Hope we can help you in accomplishing those goals!

Some crits:
    Monoliths, the subject in these shots is way too small. Maybe is there was some sort of interesting background or something, its just not interesting enough. The fist one is blown out. The second one is more correctly exposed.

The trees are nice, I like the sort of organic look, like blood vessels shooting out in all directions. Nice warm colors. Nr I has the better composition of the two, and is the shot I like better.

Show us more work if you have, or else go make some more.

/Daniel

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Morbid, thanks for your feedback.

>Monoliths, the subject in these shots is way too small.

I see. Think I will be able to handle that size better soon, because I am going to get me some spacer rings to get closer to my subjects.

>The fist one is blown out.
    English is not my mother tongue, heh. Does that mean "overexposed", here?

I will take notes of shutter,aperture settings beginning with my next film and post them along to the pics so you folks know more about what was going on...

>Show us more work if you have, or else go make some more.
    LOL, that's about it. Haven't done too much photography yet - hence the status of a total noob.

I will have to go and make some more...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok.

here's a long story short...

I messed up the first film I developed. No Images...

Then I waited for similar weather conditions to be able to take some of the photos again which was nonsense as that season was simply gone.

Then I just went out in the grey gloomy soup that we germans call winter and took different photos just because...

And this time I managed to bathe the film negs in a heap of dust before it dried, which means I will have to remove that dust in the GIMP before I got anything to show.

here's one shot... others of the same film might follow. Or I'll just post images from the next film I ruin...

(click for hi-res)
    F2.8
    28mm
    1/60
    Red filter
    Lucky 400 in AM74
    heavily GIMPed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (click for hi-res)
    F2
    1/15
    50mm
    Redfilter
    Lucky 400 in AM74
    heavily GIMPed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (click for hi-res)

F5.6
    1/60
    50mm

that Jesus statue has been pushed over during the night for three or four times and the last time it got some serious dents in the head.
    Because of this dent, Jesus raises one eyebrow, now and looks somehow not forgiving at all. It's more like a "What the heck are you doing here?"

Don't forget I am posting these to get c&c and better with time, so tear them apart, folks!
    (that's why I took notes of all that technical stuff in the first place, you know?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    F11
    1/60
    28mm
    selective curves and unsharpen mask in GIMP

when taking the photo I have been thinking of an iconic composition like it's so well described in Phil Straub's article
    (click for hi-res)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The composition of the most recent one above, really strikes a chord unlike some of the others. I feel the gray mood of the day only enhances photo in this case. The eye is drawn with the angle of the wings upward. Trully a nice feel.

I cant give you feed back on the technical aspects because I'm still learning myself.

Regards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Xoonz,

thanks a lot... your feedback is important, coz I realize I gotta post things which makes people want to reply and so the fact that the last one did that job while others did not is in itself already helpful.

*thumbsup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear you got dust on the film, though it could be interesting to see the pics before you "gimp" them, the dust might add some feel.

I would say the first picture with the angel is the best, the angle works for me, and I love the effect of a wide-angle lens. (you have to go to 10-20mm on a digital crop sensor to get near it). Maybe it is a little low contrast. (how do you meter the light?)

Second one is good aswell, nice depth of field. Too bad, like in all of them, it's so heavily processed, there is not much detail. Or maybe the lens is not very sharp. If you are using a tripod (I guess you are considering your shutter speed of 1/15) you could stop down the aperture and see if the lens gets sharper. Try f/8 or so, thats where most lenses perform best. In this pic that would sacrifice the DoF though. Could also be because of the developing process, I have no experience there though so I can't tell.

The next one is the weakest in my opinion. The angle and composition are not very interesting, and the background a bit distracting.

Last one is lovely. Good contrast and composition. I would maybe put the statue a bit more to the right I think, but this works very well too. I like how the trees form like an arch above the statue.

Hope you found my crit helpful, good luck.

/Daniel

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbid
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear you got dust on the film, though it could be interesting to see the pics before you "gimp" them, the dust might add some feel.
    ARGH! You just want to have a good laugh, be honest!
    kay, will post one that's totally messed up, but really the dust's only annoying not at all charming or something.

(how do you meter the light?)
    with the built-in meter of my Pentax super A (aka super program) which is TTL metering, I guess...

Too bad, like in all of them, it's so heavily processed, there is not much detail.
    Or maybe the lens is not very sharp. If you are using a tripod (I guess you are considering your shutter speed of 1/15) you could stop down the aperture and see if the lens gets sharper. Try f/8 or so, thats where most lenses perform best. In this pic that would sacrifice the DoF though. Could also be because of the developing process, I have no experience there though so I can't tell.
    I realized the lack of sharp detail, too.

I think it's the german winter low-light situation (grey light grey contrast?) and I did not bring my tripod along (which was in itself a bit dimwitted, ...oh well).
    I rested the camera on my face while I pointed upwards, hoping it would suffice. Lens and developer could also be the problem, I will just have to see what the future films reveal about all of these variables...

The next one is the weakest in my opinion. The angle and composition are not very interesting, and the background a bit distracting.
    noted. Composition is a continuous struggle for me...

Last one is lovely. Good contrast and composition. I would maybe put the statue a bit more to the right I think, but this works very well too. I like how the trees form like an arch above the statue.

Hope you found my crit helpful, good luck.
    totally helpful, man! Thanks a lot for the critique and the approving comments, too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last one is very nice, subject, composition, everything clicks. I'm sure it lost quite a bit in the scan though, which is a shame.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mu! You are taking over the planet!

Lovely to see your photos, you have now outpaced me by at least 3 artforms...*struggles to count past further than 3* - keep up the good work!

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
    1300 Factory Place, Unit 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com
    Phone: 213-228-2014

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

next film, messed up a lot of frames by hopelessly underexposing them, testing off-camera flash. Oh, do check out strobist, btw!

Lucky 400 in AM74
    F22
    1/125 with off-camera flash as only light source in otherwise darkened room
    70-210@macro + 2xteleconv.
    Red Filter

(click for hi-res)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

been playing with the strobist's DIY-Macrobox (check it out here)

setup was a bit like this:

difference was that I fixed the off-camera-flash to a microphone stand and had the light come from a bit further up. The whole thing was shot in the kitchen in the case of the apple.

Will post a few more from that session.

70-210 Zoom @ macro
    F16
    1/60
    redfilter

(click for hires)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

two other shots fresh from the macrobox (see above)

(click for hires)
    the olde battlehorse

(click for hires)
    My Tone

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there,

red filter and gradient grey, because I was heading almost directly into the light.

gloomy field landscape + a bit of unwanted dust.

click for hi-res

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tree near our house. This is a bit like my older pics... I still love leaing the camera against a tree bark...

Lucky 100 in AM74

click for hires...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took a whole film with the topic of the challenge "negative space" in mind...

This is the first one:

Lucky 100 in AM74, scanned, postprocessing to sharpen and adjust contrast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your B&W shots. Good angles, and great contrast.
    I don't normally like pictures in graveyards, but some times people do them justice, and I think you have. Despite the hi-res being very grainy from the development or scan, or whatever it was is the only fault in the pictures. Luckily the smaller versions make up for this, since I can see them perfectly fine with out the grain.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks very much for your feedback, Gonk! I really appreciate it.

I was wondering why it is that I seemed to go with a certain lack of feedback in general lately and figured the images just weren't striking enough to get attention (which is in itself a kind of feedback, really).

I decided I had better just keep posting until I strike a chord somehow. I need to get better, but it's kind of hard fishing in the dark on your own with noone rubbing your face in the dirt, lol.

So, double thanks, not only for appreciating my shots, which is really nice, but also for feedback in general.

BTW, I still don't really know what caused the heavy grain in the first shots, but I changed to a film with less pronounced grain to overcome that prob...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the macrobox shots, nice lighting. All your pics are very contrasty, except he tree shot in #18, but its not a bad shot either. I think your challenge entry is good, but the comp is a bit static, maybe it would improve if the feather was tilted a bit.

/Daniel

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Morbid,

thanks for replying. You're probably right about the feather. At the moment, however, I am glad I managed to get a picture in there, because in the past I always found the topics highly inspirational, but shooting a roll of 35mm and developing in the timeframe sort of never worked out.

I am even considering buying long rolls of 35mm film to cut it into customised lengths to be able to shoot a film with lessay 10 frames only, now...

We shall see...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, film is a different animal.
    I am taking a dark room course and I have borrowed a Canon EOS 1N, so Im just now trying out shooting film. The lack of instant gratification turns into anticipation when you cant review the shots at once. And also you think more than twice before pressing the release, which I think is good for your digital work too. It will be really exciting to see the result later in the dark room.

/Daniel

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, yes, and it will be interesting for me to follow that experimentation, too!

printing your negs in a dark room is a whole different game from scanning in the negs only (like I do atm), too. I had a dark room course back at school and really liked it, but that's been years ago.
    A friend of mine does have a condenser enlarger he would give to me if I asked and I could try and process the prints in my bathroom (as I do with the negs already), but that adds so many new unknown variables and chances to mess up that I will postpone that one a bit.

Next project will be to start shooting IR (got some rolls of RolleiIR and KodakHIE in the fridge).

And of course watching your thread so I don't miss the reports from the dark room...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really like the macrobox photos - especially the apple. it's great to see you're experimenting with film, developing, light etc. admire that. would love to see the results when you start enlarging the pics on your own. it's been years since i've done that (back at school, just like you did) - it can be tricky and surely adds a lot of unknown components to the process, but i think it would be quite rewarding for you, since you can get even more control over your great bw photos.

all the best, looking forward to the IR pics.
    cheers

stine

p.s.: don't worry about the lack of responses - it's simply a little quiet around right now. i guess everyone's quite busy with school starting etc. and there are a lot of new people around, so it's getting a little harder to keep track of everyone. your photos ARE striking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh thank you very much Stine, your feedback means a lot to me as I have become an admirer of your photography! And yes, about the feedback, I reckoned I would just keep the pics coming til I hit a nerve, but it's nice to see that it works already...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More negative space, all of which Lucky 100 in AM74 plus GIMPage...

click for higher res...

I liked this one especially as it even has a minus sign in it...*groan*

slightly metaphorical negative space...

thanks for watching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love that shot with the key, composition and lighting are spot on.
    Great B&W photography! Keep it up.

Akin Bilgic | Modeler & VFX Artist

CGGallery.com - Portfolio Site
    WIP Blog - Works In Progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, some good ol' german camera-replicas

OC by porst, isnt it?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.