Wacom

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Wacom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wacom

Hello again everyone... So I have done a little looking around for Wacoms and on their website I took this little quiz which told me that I should get an Intuos3 9x11 inch. My questions to you:

*Is it worth it? It costs 400 bucks, which I can afford, but not if there are problems with it or it breaks in a week. I want to make sure Im getting what I pay for
    *Is this the right model for me or would you suggest another? I have an 18" monitor and I primarily want to use the Wacom for concept art; Drawing and Painting in photoshop. I have Photoshop Elements, the version that came out last christmas.
    *Lastly, is it necessary? Are there concept artists that use a mouse for painting, or do i absoulutely need a wacom for successful painting?

Thanks for all of your help, if you have any ideas for me that would be awesome

-Deagle.Berry

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you dont need it to be successful but it really does make a difference as its alot easier to use. The one im using is the cheapest one i could find in the Volito range and its perfect (for me). So its up to you if you want to get an expensive one as it will have improvements from ones like mine. Also, i'd say they're pretty reliable in terms of not having problems or breaking and im pretty clumsy too.
    EDIT:

Basicaly for me, what took me 1-2 hours with a mouse now only takes me 15 minutes with a wacom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that last message makes all the difference to me. time is money of course

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    grab grapphire 4 6x8... I don't see why you NEED 9x12 intous 3.. that's quite expensive I believe.. lots of people are happy with 6x8 and grapphire too.. especially when u are on a budget. you can always move onto better things down the track.

wacom has proven to be best.. no doubt about that.. I wouldn't recommend anything else..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SIZE DOESN'T MATTER.

Seriously. With an 18" monior, you can get by with a 4x5 tablet. It's way cheaper and the results are just as good as with a larger tablet. Ignore automated quizzes that try to convince you to buy over-priced, enormous tablets.

Yes, you need a tablet if you want to get serious about digital art. There are digital artists who can paint using only a mouse, but they're very rare and they have to spend many frustrating years honing their skills. Tablets are much easier and more natural to control, and they offer pressure sensitivity--a HUGE plus.

Have fun! And if you're a student or teacher, use the educational discount. It helps a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've used both graphire and intuos 3. Perhaps now you would like to opt for the cheaper graphire, but later on when you get professional you'll likely enjoy the feel of an intuos 3, I know I was pretty impressed when I found the difference.

Size is a luxury, not a necessity. I have a very small one and wouldn't upgrade unless I had loads of cash handy.

I took that quiz like that too, it told me to buy an CINTIQ!!! Yeah, right!

---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not to discredit you or anything LadyHydralisk, but I don't like the whole buy-a-cheaper-tablet-then-upgrade-later plan. A lot of people suggest it to newcomers, but I don't. I say that if you're feeling uncertain whether or not you'll want to keep painting in the long run, buy an Intuos directly from Wacom and make use of their 30-day return period. If you're not hooked within that time, return it. Otherwise, keep it and enjoy a sturdy, high-quality product that'll last for years. Better than spending $300+ on two tablets.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just received my new Intuos3 9x12 Tablet from CDW. I had used the 4x6 and found it small. Having used the 9x12 this past week, I can say I am please. The extra levels of pressure sensitivity are nice and although it takes up more space on the desk....I love it. My use ranges from sketching and concept designs ( for my Eldoren Game ) right on up to developing site architectures and web designs for sites that i am building for clients.

My 2 cents. :+))

Eldoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also am not a fan of the "buy a cheaper tablet and then get the more expensive one" theory. That's what I did, and it made me wind up wasting 100 bucks.

Personally, I don't find the graphire useable. I have one sitting next to me here at work, and have a Intuous at home. The Graphire is like drawing with a fat crayon, and the Intuous is like drawing with a pencil.

I'd say that you should buy the best one you can afford if you're serious about it, and not to overstate your level of commitment. If you're serious about digital art, then you'll want the best tools you can afford. If you're a hobbyist, or really do not feel like spending the money, buy a cheaper model.

Just remember that the tablet does not make the artist. I can't stress that enough. If you don't have the head knowledge, the tablet will be useless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah I definately understand... I am thinking about the Intuos pretty hard now... a few more questions:

*what does the pressure sensetivity do: Does it have to do with opacity or the overall color tone?
    *can you turn off the pressure sensetivity?
    *when your drawing, how does it differentiate when you draw lines (or paint) and when you are simply bringing the cursor across the canvas without marking? (is there a button on the stylus or something)
    *lastly, on a larger tablet, if you have your hand resting on it, will this interfere with your artwork while drawing/painting with it?

thanx a million-

Deagle.Berry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deagle.Berry
    yeah I definately understand... I am thinking about the Intuos pretty hard now... a few more questions:

1. what does the pressure sensetivity do: Does it have to do with opacity or the overall color tone?
    2. can you turn off the pressure sensetivity?
    3. when your drawing, how does it differentiate when you draw lines (or paint) and when you are simply bringing the cursor across the canvas without marking? (is there a button on the stylus or something)
    4. lastly, on a larger tablet, if you have your hand resting on it, will this interfere with your artwork while drawing/painting with it?

thanx a million-

Deagle.Berry
    1. Pressure sensitivity has to do with the opacity (I think) as well as the size of your brush. (i.e. if your brush is 6px and you press really lightly you could paint in a 1px brush)

2. I've never tried as it is the best thing since Photoshop itself :]

3. If you hover your pen about an inch above the tablet, you can move it like a mouse, then when your pen makes contact with the tablet, you start drawing.

4. No

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Pressure sensitivity can affect all sorts of things; that's up to you. It can affect brush size, opacity, tip angle, tip roundness, scattering, and/or jitter between the foreground and background colors. You can use any combination of all these options. The majority of artists just set it to control opacity and/or size.

2. Yes, pressure sensitivity can be turned off within Photoshop. But that begs the question...why would you want to? It's one of the big perks of using a tablet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive owned a tablet for a couple of years now, i started off with a small Trust tablet, that was fine while i got started, nowadays though i use an A4 Trust tablet. At the time i couldnt afford a Wacom so bought the Trust for about £50, ive been using it for a while now and have had no problems with it despite all the advice i got not to buy one. Eventually i will probably get a wacom, but right now theres nothing wrong with the tablet i have and im confortable with it.

My two cents

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I first bought a graphire by the time I was a student and worked well. The place where I worked after school, gave me a 12 X ?? but it was to big and I didnt feel confortable at all on it. It wasnt for drawing though, just to make texture.

I went to a convention where I try every tablet such as the cintiq and whatnot. Really, the best for price/quality the 6X8 Intuos. I've been pretty happy with it.

1- Dosent take a shitload of space on your desk.
    2-Nice sensivity and nice size.
    3-Cost is pretty decent.
    4-The little button on the border of the wacom are a nice feature.

In my opinion, I'd suggest you to go with graphire 4X5 or the 6X8 intuos.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.