Prospective artist...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Prospective artist...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Prospective artist...

Right so, I dont know if this is in the right section or not but...here we go...

Ok, I've heard so many stories about struggling artist trying to make it in the art community, having to work 3 jobs just to keep on their feet. Stories as such lead me to ask the question, is there any money to be made through art? Or would I be making a sacrifice financially to continue my art. I know I woudln't be making much for the first few years, but, what I'm asking is if it's possible in the long run. Reason I'm asking is because I wonder if it would be possible to have a family on an artist's income. I know I'm young to be asking these questions, but I'm inquisitive.

If this question has already been asked, could you please direct me to the thread?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have many coworkers who have families. They are artists. I'm not doing so badly myself.

This guy isn't doing so badly either, considering he paints one small painting each day that fetches a minimum of $100. And that's just his warm-up.

The "starving artist" is not representative of every artist. Look at everything around you. Unless you are sitting in the middle of a field, almost everything you see involved at least one artist in its creation. Those artists were all paid.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Replace "artist" in your post with "actor," "musician," or "writer" and you can probably answer your own question.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are other jobs instead of Artist, like Computer Animation, they are still artist, but they either make movie or games, and they get paid a lot for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All it really comes down to how good you are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah that too, it seems that all great artists went through a lot of stuff in their lives to, good or bad, like Van Gogh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by prufrock
    All it really comes down to how good you are.
    I don't know... That's not necessarilly true. I can think of plenty of excellent painters who never made it big. I mean, walk through the hallways of any art school--you'll see plenty of really good work. Really it truly, it comes down to who you know, not what you know. That's part of the reason why expensive art schools are worth the big bucks--they'll get you connects that you can't find at other community colleges/state schools. But that's another topic entirely.

If you're going to be an artist for the money, you're not doing it for the right reason. Art is a passion, and if you don't feel passionate enough about it to risk a little struggle here and there, art isn't the career for you.

Last edited by thesinfulsaint; November 7th, 2006 at 06:45 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JesArt
    There are other jobs instead of Artist, like Computer Animation, they are still artist, but they either make movie or games, and they get paid a lot for it.
    Jes, it sounds like you're making assumptions about careers you aren't very familiar with. Please do some more research before you accidentally spread false information.

In general, animators of all varieties are considered to be artists, as are all the other positions in the movie and games businesses that involve creating something. Animators can potentially make a very good living, but that isnít always the case. It certainly isnít a path to easy money. No job in the arts field is a path to easy money.

Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint
    Really it truly, it comes down to who you know, not what you know.
    I disagree. Having connections among other professionals has its advantages in locating jobs, but unless you have the art skills and can demonstrate that you have the art skills, you arenít getting hired.

Iíve written a bit about networking in the context of the games industry here.

Yeah that too, it seems that all great artists went through a lot of stuff in their lives to, good or bad, like Van Gogh
    Keep in mind Ė there are a few highly visible artists in the world. There are also legions of successful, money-making artists who are not as visible. It is the second group whom you will want to emulate, unless you really want to cut off an ear.

Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint
    If you're going to be an artist for the money, you're not doing it for the right reason. Art is a passion, and if you don't feel passionate enough about it to risk a little struggle here and there, art isn't the career for you.
    Absolutely!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Van Gogh was "independantly wealthy" through his family. He didn't make much money on his art while he was alive.

I'm thinking most of the artists here do not have a wealthy, patient brother willing to pay for us to sit all day in a field and paint....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    I disagree. Having connections among other professionals has its advantages in locating jobs, but unless you have the art skills and can demonstrate that you have the art skills, you aren’t getting hired.

I’ve written a bit about networking in the context of the games industry here.
    That's really interesting and reassuring to hear from someone who's in the gaming industry. Thanks for posting!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.