Design vs. Art Schools
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Design vs. Art Schools

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Design vs. Art Schools

So, I've been attending Art Institute SF, its more design-centric and career-minded. I am aiming to get into modeling and go from there.

I have always had a great interest in concept art, but not really the skill to back it up (although I am constantly improving). I figured, I could always practice and improve my traditional skills on the side of my technical computer skills.

So, is a fine art school really the way to go to get into serious concept art? How far can I this as a hobby?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi raznny,
    Concept art is a subset of illustration. A fine arts course can be a hinderence to anyone interested in illustrative arts. Look for an illustration department to attend.

There's a couple of links in my sig that may interest you. . .

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks seedling! i have been checking out the threads you linked in your sig, and they look most helpful! i think i will start off on some of your assignments!

i guess what i was asking in my original post (which turned out to be horribly worded) was - do i NEED the formal education? i am already committed to my education in game design and 3D asset creation, but my foundation contains many drawing classes and also there are opportunities to develop my drawing further with free workshops (figure, painting, sculpture). but my coursework doesn't really focus on illustration or drawing in general. they kind of leave it up to the student to decide how far they want to take their skills..

i figure i can just get into the industry, and then develop my "concept art" skills at my leisure, even if they don't lead to AAA work. at least i'll be a better artist, which is all i really want anyway..

my sketchbook. please leave crits!

raznny./andershoward/student

Sketchbook Watch
    gunnarsson
    Justin Oaksford
    GreenSocks
    Kronos

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Raznny - you're going to need at least some proficiency in academic art skills in order to get any job in the games industry as an artist. However it doesn't matter if you get those skills on your own or through a formal art education.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think foundation drawing is priceless and completely worth it

even from a digital stand point just because you are not drawing with a pen and paper you're still modeling form and shape

fine art drawing is in depth can only make you better if you ask me

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.