Book Cover WIP : Prophesy of a Planet
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Book Cover WIP : Prophesy of a Planet

Hi everyone,

Relatively long time member, infrequent poster, but emerging painter and concept artist. I have been dreaming and working toward a job in this competitive industry and I think I can benefit greatly from some well placed, honest critiques from you all.

If you could please have a look at a book cover I'm trying to paint, I would greatly appreciate any comments, criticisms, or even paintovers you could offer up to me. This is a novel cover to a book a friend is currently editing and we hope to have it out by mid next year.

A couple of notes about me. I really have not tried "true" digital painting...that is, mixing colors and trying to emulate natural media within the digital realm. I never really painted much in "real life", but have had a few courses for getting some basics down.

I'm a tad bit color blind...(enough to keep me from flying planes in the military apparently) and would really love assistance on color. I can pick and choose colors, but sometimes tend to paint blond hair a pale green...hehe.

Anyway, enough babble. Here are my current WIPS....The first is the full comp...again, setup for a novel format...the second is some detail...I started with the characters and then started painting the background...I realize this is backwards, but I'm still trying to stretch my wings....

Thank you all for any help you can provide

Best Regards:

Mike

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well that makes two of us, im colorblind as well. I frequently have to sample colors off other pictures cause i just have a terrible time. It looks real nice, mabe the people should have more light casted on them from the ghost figures. Otherwise real nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the quick reply...I will be adding a glow to the main characters very soon...just experimented and it looked pretty good....I would love to be able to confidently mix a glow color together and paint it right on...as for now, i'll just use seperate layers and blending modes...it really worked nicely.

What really sucks is that i can't discern slight color shifts...adding a little red to warm the skin is tough...by the time I can tell, it looks like a sunburn..haha.

Anyhow...i'll post an update before I go to bed...Thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok...been working on it based on what I think would look better and with some other outside help. Here is an update...I started doing different trees, but my comp crashed before I could save...time to setup autosave

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all of the excellent comments and suggestions for this piece. Ive decided to change some things based on comments/crits and my own feelings on this piece. I also lightened it a bit for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's getting too blurry. The overall look is kinda flat, cos you're shading with black/darks. Make the trees in the bg in a more desaturated color and keep those blurred. Add some sharp edges to the tree on the foreground. The dude near the tree is disappearing. It's all so brown. Maybe adding some blues to suggest nighttime will make it more unified and let some reflect on the guy hiding.

You're colorblind, but your values are off too. You have almost no midtones. Work on that and this pic should improve immediately.

I liked the previous update, dated nov 13th, best. It set the mood more and gave the impression of night. I dig the mythical creatures in that one, they really seem to glow nicely. The fairygirl needs some harder edges, she kinda blurs with the bg. The new one is just too agressive and harsh overall colorwise.

Last edited by Cookiedough; November 15th, 2006 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the comments and suggestions! Every bit helps out with my understanding of painting.

It is funny how I'm either too much one way or the other. The elf girl seemed cut and pasted in, and now she is too blurry. I definately need to find a happy medium.

I'll work on the mid tones...I thought there was pretty much no seperations, but I'm still trying to figure out how to make it night time and keep the basic colors down. I have this in other forums and some people have done paintovers, which really show me what I may be able to do with this.

Your suggestions are great and I'm anxious to get started...too bad I have to work tonight..hehe.

The guy in the foreground was actually just recently put in...I haven't even attempted to do anything with him. I will definately take your suggestions into account.

I want to get better at this....wish I had more time to practice...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finished!!

Well, I did a lot of work on this...luckily I was able to get more help on other forums. I do thank the people (2) that were nice enough to comment and attempt to help me with this painting. I am not a digital painter and want to improve as much as I can. I think I learned a lot and this came out better than it would have had I stayed on my first course.

Here it is...thanks again. Please note it is a book cover, so the right hand side is where the main focal point is.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.