Art: Dragon (sculpture)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dragon (sculpture)

Dragon (sculpture)

i just started this guy recently. so far i have about 5 hours on it. first experience w sculpy. any advice is welcome.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dragon (sculpture)
    Dragon (sculpture)
    Dragon (sculpture)

i ripped the head apart and started over but now i have the mass blocked in and im starting to detail it with vains etc. not sure what i should do for the colors though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    added some spikes in. Dragon (sculpture)
    Dragon (sculpture)
    Dragon (sculpture)
    Dragon (sculpture)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interested to see where you are taking this. The model is a bit hard to follow though, with all the bending and "tangling" going on, not always easy to see what is what.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    minor update. ive cleaned it up a bit and got to the point where i am happy with the overall proportions/shapes particularly the head which has been killing me for some time now . the next step is details/texturing which i started a little with the veins but im not sure which way i want to go yet with textures.

Attached Images Attached Images            

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a few things that came up along the process, my armature was solid due to braided wires but it would have been nice to have a 3rd point as foundation to prevent him head from being so unstable. this has also caused some cracking. one of his fingers fell of as well as it was an add on and not in the original armature design. getting the armatures right is key!! wings would have been cool=/ but overall this guy is growing on me. it is nice to not have deadlines and to be able to take my time and do this on the side although i would love to get this finished. updates to follow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I Like it! Good to see someone else at the same stage as me, still learning form own mistakes. My first couple of sculpts i rushed the armature because i could'nt wait to get the actually sculpting started, but like you said the armature really is so important.

Ollie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks pretty good! i think u could add some detail by carving in some little scales all over his body!!

My Sketchbook

Life is a long lesson in humility.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    after about a month of not touching this guy at all, he has become a dust collector=X i decided i did not like his face again and tore it off, then decided to amplify the jaw a little more. im happy with where its going but im still working around w details and freestylin the structure a bit. id like to stray away from the "typical" dragon if thats possible. some problems that have come across, tons of cracking and dust. along w keeping this guy balanced. on the initial armature design i did not think the head would be so massive and low to the ground. but after i had him blocked out i decided that i wanted to change his stance a little and make it look more agressive. which i think i did successfully however now hes really unbalanced and i will prob have to add in some armature from the lower jaw to the board. im thinking of making it some dripping blood or something so it cant really be seen. any advice is greatly appreciated. mostly what do i do with the dust and any recomendations of remolding the cracks and preventing them after baking. im sure its going to happen but i would liek to eliminate touch ups afterward. id still like to texture him along w adding more veins but all of that and paint is later on in the process.

Attached Images Attached Images                    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah that's a sweet pose. Love the veins that can be seen. How are you going to texture it, if you are going to?

Crappy stuff by me!
    Please check it out and drop advice, tell me what I'm doing wrong, and suggest things to learn!!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...723#post428723

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You did indeed stray away from the traditional dragon. But, I have to say... for me to say this is a "dragon", I would have to see wings OR "remains" of where wings used to be, like stubs, skeletal fragments, or something. This has a very child-imagined appearance. Like, something you would see in a kids adventure storybook. When you changed the head, it gave it a less scary ambience, where kids can sense it being evil yet not be afraid of it, you know? *edit* after reading the children segment of this paragraph, it comes off as being ridiculing in my opinion. i do not mean it to be... this is a compliment. *end edit*

Overall design is fabulous. I see some people getting confused with the layout of the twist and turns. It's the tail-end that throws me off, because it has that mace appeal to it, but also gets tangled in appearance with the claws... therefore, you can confuse it for a talon itself.

I'm curious: since you are updating with b/w photos, I cannot tell the color of the clay. It appears that maybe you are using two... one for body mass and another for bone/teeth material. Which two sculpty clays are you using, if you don't mind me asking? Perhaps, three, where you might be using one for a base and another for "skinning" purposes?

Keep it up.

Babies:
    The Other White Meat

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.