MCAD or SCAD?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MCAD or SCAD?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

MCAD or SCAD?

Well I'll just get right to the point. Right now I live in Jacksonville, Fl and going to a community college. For some reason I cant seem to find any good art schools for me to learn animation. Ya theres Ringling, but... my biggest problem with them is that they wont let me transfer any credit for their computer degree; and since the tuition is 40k a year (not sure if that includes housing), so that option is out, and the same goes for Full Sail.
    I narrowed it down to SCAD and MCAD, and if all else fails AAU (very far). Personally I don't care about the crime problem that everyone says. I just wanna know if its a good school to learn animation and is they have good programs (like 3D Max, Maya, etc.)
    If anyone goes to these schools please tell me, I could use your help. And if anyone knows any good ones around Florida where I can learn animation (mainly for video games), I'll look 'em up too, thanks ;] [/FONT]

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The animation program at SCAD focuses more on 3D animation due to the US 2D studios disappearing. It's about $21K a yr (without housing). Crime is discussed in other SCAD threads you can read. SCAD's only about 2 hrs from where you currently live, so that's not bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks

Wow only 2 hours away huh?
    Well I probably still want to get a dorm, because four hours of driving is a lot of gas.
    Oh is it true that you can get 15K portfolio scholarships? Are they easy to get?
    Yeah I really don't care that much about the crime. I just want to be an animator for video games! =]
    Does anyone know anything about MCAD?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think Ringling's tuition is somewhere around 25-27k, actually. With housing it's around 40k, but I don't believe that you're going to find that SCAD is much cheaper. Although, I supppose that SCAD offers quite a few more scholarships. Another warning about SCAD is that it's only accredited in the South. I'd offer some advice about MCAD, but I don't know all that much about it.

But ah well. This is your decision. Best of luck to you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy ...!

Wait so SCAD is only accredited for the south?!
    I want a degree that can take me places, like further west of even in the UK since thats were I'm from.
    Does anyone know about MCAD accreditation?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WTF.

Yo thesinfulsaint, get your facts straight before you try to scare some kid, huh?

SCAD is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, which is one of many accreditation facilities (ie "Western," "New England," "Middlestates," etc) recognized by the US Department of Education. Look it up. This means their degrees are recognized by the US government, and credits are transferable to other institutions. They just renewed it too, after they bought ACA.

Where the hell did that reasoning even come from? Ringling is accredited by the same place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    x_xinsomnia: I have a portfolio/academic scholarship for 40K. However, none of my friends have gotten above the 10K one. It's relatively easy to get an automatic SAT score scholarship if you meet certain score levels. I think there's more info on such things on the website.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile thanks Mirana ;]

Thanks for that ifnormation, although I still wanna hear more about MCAD.
    I know one thing about them and that is they don't accept any math or science credit. I wonder if you can just take an exit exam so I don't have to repeat math classes. Well thats if I went there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey X, there's info about the games industry in that link in my sig, if you're interested.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

experience

I actually have no art experience what so ever!
    I've never taken' a single art class in high school.
    And next semester at my community college I'll be taking a drawing class.
    These are some of my drawings.
    *Reminder never take an art class*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No art experience, thats not good, thats not good at all. O NO O NO O NO O NO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Which is presumably why this person is wanting to go to school to get some.

It is a good idea to start out with less expensive and more general classes at a community college, though. It will help you develop, focus and put out a decent portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art class

Actually I'll be taking a drawing class in the spring. Ya I know its weird wanting to be an artist, but never take an art class in high school. Curious other than an art class what other classes could I take. I was thinking about design and watercolour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to take a look at the course requirements for a degree outlined by SCAD, then take the closest equvilents you can find at your community college. I took all my core classes and most foundations courses at my state school before I went to SCAD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana
    I took all my core classes and most foundations courses at my state school before I went to SCAD.
    How long did it take you to get your degree at SCAD since you took most of your other classes at a community college? What was it that you studied over there?
    I think I called them and they said they accept liberal arts courses. So as long as I stay in that range I'll be fine, because I'm considering at least 3 or 4 colleges to go to. After all ya gotta have a back up plan.

Also, I e-mailed a woman at admissions of MCAD and she said something about they have no math and science? If your going to be an animator shouldn't you have some kind of knowledge of science and math? Unless she doesn't know what she's talkin' about, thats exactly what she told me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am joining SCAD in this winter as transfer student, but I dont have art bg. I just wanted to know if I have to finish liberal arts courses fast or if I want to replace some of them, is it possible. I probably want to spend more time on foundation and animation course rather than liberal art course.

Concept drawing is attracting me strongly these days!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    x_xinsomnia: I didn't do all of my college time consecutive and I was taking semester, then quarter courses, and not always the same amount of classes while at state school, so I couldn't tell you. I can tell you that every single class I took transferred. If spending exactly four years is important to you, just take at least 9 courses a year, as that's how many you take at SCAD to graduate in 4 yrs. Also, I took more than just liberal arts. I took Drawing, Painting, 3D Design, 2D Design, Computer in Art, and Web Design. All of them transferred. I also tested out of Drawing 2 and Life Drawing 1. Just be aware that in the "art" courses SCAD may ask you to submit a portfolio to prove that what you learned is up to the level of what they offer.

theflash: I'm not sure what you're asking...Why would you need to finish the liberal arts classes fast? Or replace them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks ;]

Thanks Mirana for the advise.

So far SCAD is my top choice, but I still have some questions about MCAD. Math and science is important and I think it's weird that they don't offer those kinds of classes at MCAD. Another good place to go would be Ringling, since they came up with a new game art design program in the fall of 2007, but money is an issue. x_x

Well can't wait for the spring term. Finally I take an art class! ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't have to take math or science at MCAD, but they have a bachelor of science program which has physics and such. I'm sure you could take classes in that if you wanted.

I live 15 mins from MCAD, and got in, but I can't get a cosign on my loan so I'm either gonna go to a community college or just remain self-taught (that was a year ago, but MCAD would have cost me $98,000 total, for 4 years. Room/board/food/books/computer, etc). I was just accepted into SCAD during national portfolio day, but in order to get a scholarship I'd have to resubmit it to the school.

Anyways, SCAD has the best 3d animation program in the country, if I'm not mistaken. MCAD is supposedly a very good school but from what I've seen the primary focus is abstract art and a bit of comic art.

One thing to consider is that most schools seem biased against concept art. When I had my portfolio reviewed by both schools they said I should get rid of my concept work and have more observational work (even though I had met the requirement and then some). That being said, you can do this without school. Schools might not teach you the kind of thing you're looking for (which is the case for me, but college would still be great). They can give you foundation skills and motivation, but a lot of it has to come from yourself. Also, you can take figure drawing and other beneficial classes outside of college to save money.

Anyways, whether you do or don't go to school, it's good to start stuff on your own so that you're prepared. A good place to start would maybe be http://boards.polycount.net/ubbthreads.php. It's an excellent resource for aspiring game designers, even if it looks low-tech. Get the programs and start experimenting. I don't wanna scare you or anything, but if you even do a little bit of independent work a day it will make the difference.

But yea, sorry to go off on a tangent, but the path to becoming a professional artist is rarely cookie cutter. Just take all things into consideration and keep your eyes on the prize.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Condottiere for giving some information on MCAD.
    SCAD must be really good, a lot of people talk about it. =]
    Oh well I still got another year or two in community college. For now I'll just keep workin' on some drawings.

Ya if anyone has information please share. ;]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere
    Anyways, SCAD has the best 3d animation program in the country, if I'm not mistaken. MCAD is supposedly a very good school but from what I've seen the primary focus is abstract art and a bit of comic art.
    So is focusing on abstract art and comic art a bad thing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So is focusing on abstract art and comic art a bad thing?
    a VERY bad thing. school's don't want to see your "style" they want to see what you can do. the fundamentals. anatomy/color/texture/shade studies. choose works that show off your traditional skills in this area.

btw. this is from someone who got into RISD and got a very nice scholarship from SCAD. (my portfolio had no abstract, and no cartoons/illustration)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by moroi
    a VERY bad thing. school's don't want to see your "style" they want to see what you can do. the fundamentals. anatomy/color/texture/shade studies. choose works that show off your traditional skills in this area.

btw. this is from someone who got into RISD and got a very nice scholarship from SCAD. (my portfolio had no abstract, and no cartoons/illustration)
    Well first of all which did you go to?
    Second, if a school wants to see the fundamentals, does a job what to see your "style" or fundamentals? Or both?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well RISD's tuition alone is $33,000 sooooo i went with SCAD. haha
    mmm, for what jobs want, i think your profs would be able to tell you waaay better than me. (i'm a freshman) also, i think it depends on what job you're trying to apply for. i'm in industrial design and i know our portfolios look extremely different from say, an animation major. sorry i can't give you advice on a portfolio for a job, but i wouldn't want to give you bad advice. good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere
    One thing to consider is that most schools seem biased against concept art. When I had my portfolio reviewed by both schools they said I should get rid of my concept work and have more observational work (even though I had met the requirement and then some). That being said, you can do this without school.
    Hmm, that's strange, considering the SCAD Sequential Dept has many Conceptual Art classes, taught by conceptual professionals. I had conceptual work in my portfolio, myself. Then again, admissions ppl (and other admin positions) have a HIGH turn-over rate. They don't often know what they're talking about. Also, I'd like to point out that a lot of concept work is tough to do without proper instruction. Not that it can't be done, it's just a long process.

Quote Originally Posted by Moroi
    a VERY bad thing. school's don't want to see your "style" they want to see what you can do. the fundamentals. ...

I don't think it's a bad thing for a school to focus on, if that's the kind of art you want to do. As for portfolio, I think it's perfectly acceptable to put art showing your interest in your major, as long as you also include foundations work.

14 out of 20 of the pieces I submitted in my portfolio were concept/comic/illustration pieces. I received a $40K scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by x_xinsomnia
    does a job what to see your "style" or fundamentals? Or both?
    I've only ever had one job mention "fundamentals," and it was because they wanted to point out that they didn't want to see much, if at all. Jobs expect you to know your fundamentals--you shouldn't have to prove it. If you don't, it will be abundantly clear the minute they look at your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think it's a bad thing for a school to focus on, if that's the kind of art you want to do. As for portfolio, I think it's perfectly acceptable to put art showing your interest in your major, as long as you also include foundations work.
    hey, guess i was just repeating the advice of my profs, and their advice seemed to work for me so i thought i'd pass it along.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by x_xinsomnia
    if a school wants to see the fundamentals, does a job what to see your "style" or fundamentals? Or both?
    A student portfolio is a very different thing from a professional portfolio. In your student portfolio, your aim it to show a college that you know the basics of academic fine arts skills, and that you have tried multiple mediums. You want to convince them that as an artist you are versatile. In a professional portfolio, the goal is to convince the company that you are capable of one specific type of work.

Please don't use funny fonts and sizes. It makes your words difficult to read.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well like I said before, I can't wait for the spring semester to start so I can start learning some fundamentals of drawing, and work on a portfolio. This summer it looks like I might be going back to England and Jamaica (mostly family). Hopefully I'll find the time to make a lot of observational drawings, and if I'm luck a few watercolour paintings. Curious how long did it take some of you guys to create your portfolio?

Thanks for all the replies, I have a good feeling about SCAD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    School or professional? How long to create the work in it or the portfolio itself?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana
    School or professional? How long to create the work in it or the portfolio itself?
    Well for school really. But if you know both answers that be helpful too. I only made one portfolio (for school), and I wasn't even sure how to do that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.