Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Concept Art 101

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    Peter – Hahaha! That’s fantastic! Really, it’s okay to modify something that you already feel finished with. Think of it as doing a paintover of someone else’s work – it’s a way to test variations without investing loads of time.

I love the light in this one. If you were to carry it along to a more finished state, I would suggest working on the roundness of the tentacles, and maybe finding some pink laundry detergent to paint a still-life of to figure out how to handle those gooey puddles. :-)

I’ve gotta get my butt downstairs and paint now – cheers!
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Power-Leveling for the Busy Artist

Not a lot of people are in a position to devote eight or more hours a day to grinding their way to professional level skills. For most of us, if you want to develop your skills, you’ve got to shoehorn the practice into your already busy schedule.

Think of art-making as music-making. Anyone who has learned an instrument will tell you that you have to devote daily practice to it over the course of years. There are a lot of repeated, technical exercises to go through – scales, chords, fingerings – stuff with an almost complete lack of creativity involved (at first glance). It can be downright boring. From day-to-day it is hard to see any improvement in your skills. All it takes is one look at a better player and you can find yourself in a funk – your motivation smashed, you can go from slow progress to no progress.

So right off the bat, you have to prepare yourself for the slow pace and the danger of losing your momentum. If looking at the work of better artists is going to smash your confidence, then spend less time looking at the work of better artists. (This is something that I have to do myself.) If you are likely to get distracted by, say, television or games or the internet (as I am currently being distracted right at this moment) then do what you can to avoid the temptation.

And at the heart of it all: get yourself on a practice schedule. The most progress that I ever made at the piano was when my teacher had me practice for an hour a day, every day, with no days off. I now apply this to my oil-painting habit. And as with the piano-practicing, much of what I do with the paints is technical. I have been focusing on color, value, manipulation of paint, and so on.

I have found that a particular time of day works best for me: first thing in the morning. I get my hour of painting done, and then afterwards I go to work, run errands, exercise, and play.

Different schedules are going to be optimal for different people. Maybe you’re more productive before going to bed. Maybe three hours every other day suits you better. Maybe you’ve got a bus schedule that gives you fifteen-minute increments twice a day that you can use to draw. That’s great! Figure out when your “power hour” is, and stick to it. Keep a log of the time you invest – it’ll help you get regular and turn the activity into a habit.

If you want to get even more specific with your practice time, then try this: pick a weekly goal. For example, “this week I am doing self-portraits”, or “this week I am doing color studies of light as observed on real objects,” or “this week I am drawing robots using perspective.” Put your goal in writing. Put your daily hour or equivalent towards reaching this goal. And if you want to do any additional art above and beyond the drill, then you can do that – after you have done your daily hour.

I would think up some catch way to conclude this, but I really need to get my own butt downstairs to do my daily painting. Happy art-making!

4. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Seedling, I want to thank you VERY much for this. I'm only 16 years old and not a well known artist yet. I'm doing my very best in getting better, and when I compared my own artwork to that of a greater artist, it both motivated and demotivated me. In the past few months the demotivation took control and I pretty much stopped practising on new things, feeling as if I didn't make any progress at all in what I drew. I kept looking at the better pictures and just thought I'd never get that good. You just reminded me that progress doesn't come in huge leaps but by just doing it (whatever it is you want to get better at) a lot . Also you inspired me to start picking up my study on animals and their anatomy again .

Here's my version of assignment #4, an animal I have never drawn before, the gecko. It was harder than I thought it would be, and I don't really like the third one. But it was educational either way, so thanks .

Thanks
    WOW your guys/girls have come far! lolz I´m only on step 1 ......(will start in 4 days when I´m back from my girlfriend)

and seedling your teaching them really good I hope I can draw good to when I´m coming on step 13 or more

I´m 16 years now and I hope I can draw some cool stuff when i´m 17.
    but I thing seedling will learn me how to do it

Thanks
    Lhune – Awesome!! Glad to be of service! And good job with those geckos!

Diablooo – Thank you. :-) You don’t have to do the exercises in any particular order. I’m just writing down ideas as they come to me.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    cool thread! thanks for spreading knowledge!
    My Sketchbook

Life is a long lesson in humility.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stalsby
    cool thread! thanks for spreading knowledge!
    Knowlege is particularly tasty when spread on whole-wheat toast with strawberry jam. ;-)

I think I may have frozen my brains while out taking pictures. . .

Thanks
    Amazing thread, hopefully I will be doing some of these exercises.

Thanks
    Assignment #1.1, 1.2 --- fun stuff. 16 minutes total.
    Concept Art 101

Assignment #2.1 --- First mirror drawing... gotta say in all honesty, 'tis quite the bad representation. Oh well! I'll keep tryin'.
    Concept Art 101

Assignment #2.2 --- And by now I've decided I officially hate my face, as it looks even less like me. ---2.1 and 2.2 took 'round half an hour together.
    Concept Art 101

I'll try to make 'em darker next time... low-quality scanner doesn't pick up everything... AAGH! These excersizes are good, they make me hate my art!!! Which means I'm gonna have to practice the hell out of it!

Thanks
    Wonderful, Seedling... my New Years Resolution will be to follow these classes.

Thanks
    Thx Seedling for refering me to this class. I really need some basis in life drawing and you gave me the motivation to get my assbusy at it.

I did a few assignment but still nothing that im proud of. So here is the less carpy one i did so far. Assignement #2

Attachment 70897Attachment 70898

Thanks
    Wow, great thread Seedling! I'll be sure to read through the whole thing when I get a chance.

Skipped temporarily to Project 2. No much, but hey, I've got a thing for flatcaps . Original followed by modified. I might go back and fix the tiny hand.
    Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Wow guys, great work! *happy dance*

By the way, the assignments aren’t really in any order. You can totally skip through to assignments that seem like the most useful to you.

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast