Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Concept Art 101

Thanks
    sorry if you have mentioned this already, not able to read too well at the moment... you say you are from turbine? as in the major company that was running Asheron's Call 2? (dont know if ac1 also, just used to play AC2 before it went down)

I always wanted to learn how to do concept art

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Hair Clip Spider

In response to assignment #1:

Summary: Did a still of life of my wife's hair clips with hair band the other day as part of my New Years resolution to draw every day this year. Unbeknownst to me, these objects had been infused with sentience by an arcane force of unknown origin. The elastic band coiled and wrapped over and into itself, growing in size along with the hair clips, transforming into a writhing organic mass of musculature animating the once benign objects into a shambling spider-like being of destruction... Enjoy!

Concept Art 101
    Concept Art 101

1st drawing is pencil, 2nd is wacom with Alias SketchBook 1.1

Strengths/Weaknesses? Crits plz.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Godo13 – Hahahahahaha! :-) Good for you for making a New Year’s Resolution to draw daily! And good for you for having such fun with it! One thing, though – it’s a bit difficult to tell that those are the same hair clips in both images, because the first ones are so dark.

Boost – Sweet! :-) I look forward to seeing what you make!

Brett Allen – Yup, that’s us. We’ve come a long ways since AC2.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Assignment_1

Concept Art 101

Thanks
    Assignment_2

Concept Art 101

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the info seedling! I'll be watching this thread and doing as many of the assignments as possible. can i post them on here??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    Wow guys, great work! *happy dance*

By the way, the assignments aren’t really in any order. You can totally skip through to assignments that seem like the most useful to you.
    Yeah... I imagined it wouldn´t be necessary, but i was willing to make it in the given order. Bad idea tough... Some are much more fun to do than others, and when you are very busy, it´s better to work on the things that you think are fun...
    My website

Facebook Page

New CA Sketchbook

" The scientific and generally accepted-in-art term for this is "You're fuckin' screwed, dude..." " Ilaekae - May 16th, 2009

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Hi everyone!

Wasker! You caught the colors of the brass and wax nicely. And I don’t know what it is about that burned little match, but it has a lot of character. Since you are working digitally, be sure to always double-check those ellipses by making a circle and then squashing and scaling it. I don’t know if it’s my monitor or yours, but whatever is in the background is getting lost in the dark. (BTW, a general rule about colors that I’ve been using at work for years is, as far as possible, “make sure the work looks good on a variety of monitors.” If a detail is so subtle that it can only be seen on a particularly well-tuned monitor, then by default a percentage of your audience won’t be able to see it. But then, it’s hard to implement this if you don’t have an IT department who can supply you with a craptastic secondary monitor. ;-) ) Oh, and the eyes in your self-portrait are following me around the room, I swear! They’re beautifully sparkly and alive. You could try for more colors or highlights on the skin, and also that soft edge you have going on the face could be carried up into the smokestack. LOL, smilies!

ManikinDesign – Cool! Yes, you are welcome to post your results here.

DoInferno – I would love to hear your feedback on which of these assignments are the most fun, and why. :-)
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Hehe,
    Thansk Seedling, I appreciate your critique. I believe the match come out pretty good aswell. The thing in the background that looks like a box is my amplifier and isn't standing out very much against the even darker wall. Since I was drawing the candle I never payed much attention to it, but perhaps I shouldn't have included it at all instead of confusing the viewer. Choices and choices ^^

I've realised the face is a bit skewed, a friend of mine says it's because I had the mirror next to me instead of infront of me. And it probably have something to do with experience aswell. It could use more hightlight yup. I'll fix it in my 2nd selfpotrait which is yet to come.

assignment_3

Inspiration caught from a café I know of and the Moscow train station. Added pillars and ornament and trashed it.

Concept Art 101

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    DoInferno – I would love to hear your feedback on which of these assignments are the most fun, and why. :-)
    Ohh... I just believe each person has their favorites... That´s what i meant. The assignments are great, and they all push us a little more, so we can get ourselves better!

And Gosh! I need to find me some time to work on more of them!
    My website

Facebook Page

New CA Sketchbook

" The scientific and generally accepted-in-art term for this is "You're fuckin' screwed, dude..." " Ilaekae - May 16th, 2009

Thanks
    Assignment #1:

I've started a sketchbook and I hope to encorporate some of these assignments into it... here's my first try:

Attachment 76825Attachment 76826

I don't just make up stuff out of my head very often, so this is a big step...
    Thanks for the great assignments and all the advice!

-Kale

PS. My Sketchbook

Thanks
    The pencil of the guitar is very nice Kale. The digital picture is not equally good. The anatomy is abit off. Check up on anatomy

Assignment 4 and ref below it. Could a horse look more emo?

Concept Art 101

Reference photo here

Thanks
    My first attempt was pretty crappy but I really liked the concept, so I redid it. Although I ended up using a photo ref for the arms (and look at my teeth in a mirror), everythiing else is imagination.

Attachment 78705Attachment 78706

Sorry about the double posts... I'm just much happier with this version.
    Onward to... Lesson #2!
    Scetchbook -> here

Thanks

Lesson #2

Inspired by you know who... 'nuff said.

Attachment 79205Attachment 79206

Next lesson #3... (maybe I'll skip around a little bit)
    Scetchbook -> here

Thanks
    -
    Last edited by Faye Yong; March 6th, 2016 at 04:57 PM.

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast