Art: Concept Art 101 - Page 6

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Concept Art 101

Thanks
    I'll take the cookies but no beer, thanks. Underage and all that.

About those shadows- those things were SUCH a pain, but I had a hard time figuring out how to do them. I tried taking a ruler and laying out how the shadows would go with the end of the ruler at the sun's center, not below it. The shadows within the shadow... I dunno, it just seemed like that was the right thing to do. ^_^; Although I liked the Swiss-cheesed one. That thing was oodles of fun. So, what you're saying is... all the shadows should be as dark as the ones on the ground? Wouldn't that kind of... hide the add-ons/removals though? (I'm not very good at this, I moved before my art class got to this kind of stuff...)

Anyways, thanks! I'm working on the 3-D cube model now. XD It's so annoying. Stupid right angles.

You can be the best at what you do, but you've never learned everything about anything.

My sketchbook!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Finished the 3-D cube assignment! (I dunno, should I do one more view, do you think?). I've got one word for this: headache. Sorry the quality sucks, my scanner went crazy. Or rather... Mr. Harrell's did... >>;

Attached Images Attached Images  
    You can be the best at what you do, but you've never learned everything about anything.

My sketchbook!

Thanks
    Alright, two more assignments done! Yeah babeh! XD

Atmospheric perspective with two chess pieces, and then with a slug.... spike... something. O_o

My sketchbook!

Thanks
    Lynch me and burn at the post, for I really lack of practice!

Here's my attempt for the #1 assignment.

Thanks
    Ok here's my version of assignment 1.
    Name:  Drawing pad and pen.jpg
Views: 2609
Size:  92.0 KB
    Name:  draw.jpg
Views: 2587
Size:  80.0 KB
    Damn while looking at some of the stuff here I feel like a total armature. I would like to know what you guy's and girls think of it

Just call me Ferdi

Thanks
    Hey, Seedling- on the "Back of the Building" assignment, can I change it to "Behind the Fence That Blocks the View of Half the Building"? XD I drew it in English class, and I know what class that fence shields, so it would actually make my iteration on it logical- kind of. But if it should still be "Back of the Building", I can do that tonight.

Also, I should be getting a new set of color pencils tonight. 8D I'll get the next few assignments done, and I'm setting up an appointment with the school skeleton for next Thursday. It's a REAL skeleton, in a closet. XD So that thing should give me oodles of fun.

My sketchbook!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Wow, look at you guys go! Chizome, sure, change the assignments as you see fit. I'll be back later to critique. . . Cheers!

Thanks
    Awriiiight, I just finished #10 and #12! (I'm going back to finish 11 tonight.)

First is Mr. Howton's chair from Criminal Justice class- quickie doodle, maybe 45 minutes total- and second is my dragon bookend. I ended up using a pen for the blue.

My sketchbook!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chizome
    Alright, finished #2 and halfway through #3! Unfortunately, due to scanner problems I couldn't scan in the self-portrait before I changed it, but I took a photo which is... at home... on the camera. >_>;

Self-portrait- Four hours total (two for the original, two for the modification)

Landscape- Roughly three-four hours, off and on

EDIT: I've finished the landscape, which took another two-three hours to add on to it. It's right under the original now.
    Wow, your self portrait is very nice. You're really pretty too.

Thanks
    Sorry I havenít been around much. Great work, everyone!

Chizome Ė Busy, busy! Okay, no beer for now, just cookies. ;-) Nice job with the atmospheric perspective studies! And kudos for sticking with those cube assignments even though they were giving you headaches. And Ė wow! I had to go back and read the assignment again because I had forgotten what it was. Itís the same cube drawn from three different perspectives. Bravo! That feeling of your brain hurting Ė thatís your brain growing and getting used to the idea of holding onto complex 3D shapes. Good color study of the dragon object, too Ė good choice of purple. One thing that will help you a lot, is put in some color in the white space around each object. Nothing will make drawing in color quite so frustrating as working on a white surface. Staring at white paper is kind of like staring right into a lit lightbulb Ė it throws off your vision with respect to everything else.

Huiloyik Ė Ooh, youíve really done nice things with your self-portrait! Those colors are great, and the props you added are a lot of fun.

DoubleXdragoN Ė Now now, there will be no lynching. :-) I like that you did multiple lamp sketches on the same page. A lot of drawing is problem-solving, which is what you were doing. The bag looks like it really challenged you! By the second drawing of the bag, I see that you were drawing it a lot more confidently, but it also lacks wrinkles and sags in that drawing. By that point, you had the idea of the bag firmly in your mind, but it was an iconic idea of the bag Ė that is, a perfect version. To take it to the next step towards realism, you would have to capture some of its imperfections, too.

Ferdinand Ė By golly, itís a tablet. ;-) You know, mechanical subjects are really tough because they are made up of mechanically perfect edges and increments. The secret to drawing good mechanic objects is a ruler. You seem to have used a ruler on the edges of the top drawing, but not on the buttons. Good start! You should make that creepy character your desktop image to inspire you to draw more. ;-)

Moogle Ė Come on, letís see some work! :-)

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Ferdinand Ė By golly, itís a tablet. ;-) You know, mechanical subjects are really tough because they are made up of mechanically perfect edges and increments. The secret to drawing good mechanic objects is a ruler. You seem to have used a ruler on the edges of the top drawing, but not on the buttons. Good start! You should make that creepy character your desktop image to inspire you to draw more. ;-)
    Ha ha. The whole idea behind the tablet was that I can keep on reminding myself of the things I must do. The idea of making the tablet "come to life" was just something else, something different from all the pics on this thread I personally like a lot of the ideas some of the artists came up with I think that helped my idea to grow, and now the pencil sketch well how should I say this...

In the beginning I was conscious of the ruler but later on I became less interested in perfection than any other thing... I can't find the proper English words to describe it. I was rushing to finish it for some reason and ended up not using the ruler anymore.

I think Iíve learned my lesson here and hope to draw a better self-portrait than the ones Iím currently making. I will post it as soon as Iím confident in the self-portrait.

Just call me Ferdi

Thanks
    So make the night observation have a bit of blackish blue in the background, maybe, and the day one have light blue and yellow? :3 I think that would help a lot.

My artwork's been temporarily put on hold- it's Foreign Language week, so I'm brushing up on my language skills and sewing my historical figure costume. Also, it's Portfolio Crunch Time. Ew ew ew. I also ended up doing them a bit out of order- my appointment with the school skeleton ran into the daylight/moonlight from imagination. Oh well. XD I couldn't get very much of the skeleton drawn in an hour and a half, unfortunately.... I got two perspectives of the hand and the basics of the whole thing. The poor blank ribcage. ;___; However, tonight- or maybe tomorrow night, depending on when I finish the hakama- I'll work on drawing some more. :]

My sketchbook!

Thanks

Attempt at assignment...

Hey everyone, I'm a new member, as of last night. Just happened across this thread and thought I'd give that first assignment a stab. I have recently started using a couple books to help me advance in my art: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, and The Natural Way to Draw. So far they have helped me to start seeing better, and this project here is really only my second attempt at a self portrait. So critiques are most welcome, just be nice since it's only my erm, second time.

Thanks
    Alright, finished #11, #13 and #15! (I'll do the arbitrary colors portrait tonight. With my...Crayola colored pencils. *cringe*)

Sorry, I got kinda sick of #11. >< But it WAS autoshop class, I knew that much, so adding an imagined 'behind-the-fence' wasn't too bad.

#13 was so much fun! I like the night view better. And, you're right! It's easier to work with when there's not stark white glaring at me.

#15 was also a lot of fun, but I was only allowed an hour and a half with the skeleton, so that's all I got. ;__; I'd do more, but I have to spend time afterschool getting tutored for the ACT instead of drawing Jon the Skeleton. He was missing two fingers on each hand anyways. O_o and I didn't get to finish the ribcage. (That thing scared me, so I decided to do it last and ran out of time.)

My sketchbook!

Thanks
    Wow, thanks a lot! Practice, practice, practice.
    I kind of am a perfectionist, but starting to get rid of it. That does influence the way you draw, doesn't it?

My sketchbook should be full quite soon, then I'll disassemble it and scan the pages. Scanning takes quite a while and I don't own a supercomputer. XD

Must.. attack.. the assignments.. Ok, g'night tonight!

Thanks
    Aww sweet, look at all the pretty art!

Singularis Ė for ďonly your second timeĒ, Iím totally impressed! Good use of values in those portraits. In the second one, you have worked in the imagined details quite well. Iím a little concerned that you are going to cut your face with those blades. ;-) It is hard to judge exactly where the blades are in space, or, once they are away from the hand, which direction they are turned. I like that you made the right eye squinty, but by comparison that left eye looks oddly bugged-out. Very nice job on the hair in the second drawing. The beard isnít as good, but I can see that you were trying out a lot of different ways to make marks there and all over the drawing Ė thatís good experimentation. Keep trying out new things until you are armed with all the mark-making skills that you could want.

Chizome Ė goodness, you must be going non-stop with that schedule! Iím so impressed that you have been putting so much time into these assignments. I donít see any construction lines in your perspective drawings, which suggests that youíre more eyeballing the subjects than solidly figuring them out and checking them to make sure they could actually exist in space the way you have drawn them. Eyeballing is great practice Ė thatís what I do with my daily paintings Ė but knowing how to really use perspective is a tool youíre going to want in your toolbox.

Woot! Skeleton! Bonus cookies for you for seeking out Mr. Bones! I hope you had as much fun drawing it as it looks like you did. Nice close-up of the vertebrae. A suggestion for ribs: drawing the ribcage as a big volume is a great way to start. From there, you donít need to draw the exact number of ribs. You seem to have erased out some near ribs. Try sketching in all of the ribs that lightly. Donít worry Ė if you put a line in the wrong place, just pretend it isnít there and keep going. Then when youíve got lightly-sketched-in ribs where you want them, darken them up.

Fun bike! I would hate to see someone hit a bump and fly over the handle-bars onto that spike. . . This color study isnít as good as your last one. I think the problem is too much black. Try building up ďblackĒ from layers of contrasting colors. That way the black can actually be a deep red, or a deep blue, etc. Colored pencils are a tough medium, since they have a tiny point and have to be ground down to build up significant color. If you have got any watercolors about, try experimenting with ways to combine the two, to fill the paper faster.

Keep up the great work!

DoubleXdragoN Ė I look forward to seeing your sketchbook! Is there no way you can scan your sketchbook without taking it apart?

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    huiloyik: Thanks! I'll keep it up alright.

Seedling: Eyeballing that skeleton was a pain. >_o I have a problem where I'm a HUGE perfectionist (most of the time), and if I make the slightest mistake I crumple the paper and start over. So when I tried drawing that skeleton, after looking at it for so long it began to run together, if that makes sense. o_0 And that building... ooooh, that building. *grumble* I hate it with a fiery passion.

As for the ribcage... so basically, just try to get it down on paper lgihtly and NOT be a perfectionist? I can try that. ^__^

In other words, the black doesn't look very... real? I don't know how to put it, but I know what you mean. I have watercolors, but... well, to be frank, I don't know how to use them. :/ Any suggestions?

My sketchbook!

Thanks
    A great way to "sneak up" on perfection is to forget that you're aiming for perfection. Instead, try to think of any project you're working on from large to small. First, sketch the whole thing lightly and roughly. Then, go over the whole painting/drawing/sculpture from top to bottom again, with a little more detail. Then again, and again. That way, no matter when you stop, you still have a completed-looking piece.

You can try leaving black out of your palette entirely. Most of the paintings in my sketchbook were done without. Black has its uses, but it's easy to trip over when you're getting started. The trick is that "black" is actually a very dark blue, or a very dark red, etc, whether it comes out of a tube, or whether you mix it yourself with other colors.

Cheers!

Thanks
    So do it in layers. basically? Like um... cross-sections? Simplest layer, then details, then more and more, right? Alright! I'll give that a shot. I can still do some anatomy studies, thank god- I have Gray's Anatomy- and practice it like that. I'll try the watercolors for some more night and day observations. ^__^ And then the arbitrary colors, um... maybe a bit too ambitious for watercolors? Since I'm a beginner with them? ><

My sketchbook!

Thanks
    You can never be too ambitious when it comes to exploring new materials and techniques, Chizome

Go for it!

Thanks

Thanks

huiloyik-- Thanks for the encouragement, I'll also do my best to refine my anatomy...though I do actually have mildy crooked eyes..heh..I've been doing lots of proportion drawings, gestures and life drawings lately as practice. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Seedling-- I see what you mean about the blades looking like they are about to cut the face. Maybe you have some thoughts on how I could fix that... Maybe some suggestions for the beard area, since I was mostly experimenting with various texture brushes in photoshop. And about the eye, I think it didn't look so odd when the blades weren't in front of it..but yeah it is oddly bulging..

Thanks for the critques guys, I'll be doing the next assignment this weekend...have a good one everyone, and happy St Patties Day!

Thanks
    Alright, there! This is maybe my second time with watercolors, what do you think? Better? :/

My sketchbook!

Thanks
    Great thread, Seedling! I'll probably use some of your exercises to get myself back into drawing form. Thanks a bunch for doing this for everyone.

And just a word for Chizome -- check your freehand perspective often. Your angles seem to be a bit off on them. And maybe creating a broader range of shading in general. Good work overall, though.

Thanks
    Hey Seedling,
    I have a sort of off-topic question. I'm trying to figure out if anyone would hire me for a concept art job, but I'm not sure what the standard for sucessful artists is in the industry (games or movies) is.

Sketchbook:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92579

Is the standard of stuff you typically see much higher than that? I know there are some super-talented guys out there, but is there room for someone of my ability level to make a living at it? (I'm working on more concept-artish things as well, but could I show a prospective employer a still-life in a portfolio?)

Thanks
    Seedling may i ask, being a beginner artist, are your assignments sketch book only? can they be done on the wacom tablet to increase my skill?

Thanks
    Seedling - I really COULD take it apart, but I've set a rule that I won't do that until the sketchbook has the last page filled up.

Also, how much time should an artist spend a day for studies (if he/she has time)? 3 hours? 6? Or 1 hour to study and 5 to draw natur morte? I have plenty of free time, even the term 'leasure' has lost its meaning.

Thanks
    Hi evry one guys and girls
    Im rather new to this site . and i just happend to go by this furom
    and i must say all your art work each one and one of you posted here is really pretty and beautifully done

i would love to join in on the asignmints
    i think ill start by the first and go step by step
    just had a few questions .
    1- i really like drawing with pencil even so i have a wacom
    is it ok if i do all these asignments by paper . and if i do how will they fit
    into the scanner unless i draw them really small ... wich will make it kind of
    hard to work with .
    2- should i color in the first asignments or theres no reall need antill we reach
    the color stages latter on
    3- this has nothing to do with asignments just a jeneral question about art
    i have ben working as a free lancer . and so far created many difrent
    carictures as consept art . how can i make sure that no one will steal my
    rights on the carictures . for if i try to make each and each of the
    carictures copy writed ill be broke out of cash in no time
    cous its an expensive matter . times each caricture and caricture ...
    so i was really woundering about that
    if any one knows how it works or how to keep the rights
    to the carictures we create . i would love to here it

thank you evry one for taking your time to ready this
    and i hope to be posting the first asignment soon

good day
    mosh

The Netherlands, Almere, close to Amsterdam.
    Thanks
    Hey, my first post!

I am 14 years old, and I like to draw, and I like games. So I searched Concept Art and found this awesome thread! Since I was 12 I didn't even touch a pencil because I didn't know what to draw. I was totally out of inspiration, then I found this thread. This was just what I needed. I found my old pencil and some paper, and I started with the first assignment.
    Here you go! (It's my harmonica.)

Then a bit more modern:

It's definitely not the best, but I quite liked it.

*EDIT* Awww! It looks so messed up because of that damn scanner! Anyway, it's good to observe your own mistakes.

Last edited by Daroy; March 28th, 2007 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks
    hey thats a cool consept hermonica
    excalent work

Thanks
    Hi guys!

If I sound loopy, please blame it on my cold. *sniffle*

Sorry Iíve only been dropping by now and again. You all inspire me with your willingness to do assignments on your own. :-)

Singularis Ė sorry, I donít know how to fix those blades. Perhaps practice painting a still-life of objects with similar spatial relationships?

Chizome Ė nice work with the watercolors. It looks like you are in need of a big, fat brush! About working large to small: pretty much it means cover all of the canvas immediately with loose strokes from a big, fat brush. Then do it again with a smaller brush, etc. With watercolors itís going to be a little tricky, because you need to know from the start where you want the white of the paper to remain unpainted. Now keep going with those watercolors! :-)

Crostar Ė I feel a bit too muddled to answer your question well right now. Have you seen the link in my sig to the games industry thread? That may answer some of your questions. And Iíll repeat something that I posted to another thread:

"Concept art" is a subset of illustration. The pool of people seeking concept art jobs not only includes novices fresh out of school, but also well-established, powerfully good freelance illustrators. In most cases either they are going to hire one of the freelancers, or they are going to look within their own ranks for a 3D modeler or art director to do the concept art. In other words, your competition is steep. You need to either get your illustration skills up to a competitive level, or first get hired in another role at a company that uses concept artists.

Pagedown Ė my assignments are all just suggestions to help folks find their way. Use them however you wish.

DoubleXdragon Ė I donít have a specific number of hours to tell you to study. Study as much as is necessary and is fun for you.

Mosh Ė Hello! You can use whatever medium you wish. Donít feel compelled to do the assignments in order, or exactly as they are stated. Decide what you want to learn from each assignment Ė so if you want to use an assignment to learn more about color, or not, thatís fine.

About people stealing your work: you could lock it up in a vault somewhere. ;-) Or you could put a watermark on your images before posting them online. Or you could do what most of the professionals here do, and just donít worry about it. Theft that actually harms an artistís career is pretty rare. I donít know what copyright law in Israel is like, but in the US, the instant that you create something, it is protected under copyright law. You should do some research into the topic and find out what your laws cover.

Daroy Ė welcome! Thatís a good harmonica, and the high-tech version gave me a grin. ;-) Donít be afraid to use a ruler to draw those straight edges! Donít be afraid of making or showing mistakes. A suggestion for next time: shine a strong light on your subject, and focus on capturing the full range of values, including the shadow on the table.

Cheers!

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 203