Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Concept Art 101

Thanks
    Great thread Seedling. You can postmark that imperial pint of Guinness to New York

Anyways, I started sketching this but then the bulb on my scanner blew out, so I had to use photoshop. Which I just basically started using to paint, so please excuse my noobieness. I learned tons about painting, composing a single object, and I realized the more my technique improves, the more free my imagination becomes. Thank you for this opportunity.

First I painted up a Ficus bonsai I picked up from Walmart, then I did the alien planet version. All crits more than welcome. Thanks!
    Last edited by max xiantu; February 20th, 2007 at 09:59 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Seedling, that's the game thread you have in your sig. Didn't you make a seperate one a while back, just for assignments?

Thanks
    Wow, great thread How could I have missed this?

I might give some of your assignments a shot. But I should probably start by reading it all lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    W00T! Max, the beer's in the mail! :-)

Thaelys - Oh, you mean the practice thread that I keep forgetting to check back to? ;-)

Pesmerga - It's new and easily overlooked. ;-) Thanks!
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Atmospheric Perspective

Atmospheric perspective is one of several ways to give your paintings and drawings depth. If you are unfamilliar with the term, it means that the farther away a subject gets from the camera, the more gas you are looking through to see them. So, the farther away the subject is, the more it becomes the color of the atmosphere.

It is easier to understand atmosphere if you think of a thick fog. In a thick fog, your hand looks perfectly normal one or two feet in front of you. The highlights are still bright, the shadows are still dark.

Look at someone’s arm twenty feet away, and the values and colors are all going to be a little closer to the value and the color of the fog.

Farther away still, and that arm will be just a silowette that is the color of fog, but a little darker and a little bit skin-colored.

Atmospheric perspective occurs on even the clearest of days, which is why distant mountains become blue or purple. The color they become is the color of the sky, darkened by the color of the mountains.

You don’t need to work in color to practice atmospheric perspective.

***********Assignment #8: Atmospheric Perspective Still-Life*************

Find two objects of the same variety: two forks, two bishops from a chess-board, etc. Set them up on a table-top so that one of them is as close to you as possible, and the other is as far as possible. Then arrange yourself so that you have an eye-level view of the table-top. You will want to be able to see those objects as close to overlapping as possible.

Now, unless you are living on Jupitor or are on top of a mountain in a cloud, you’re not going to really see any atmospheric perspective to draw. You’re going to have to make it up as you go along.

Hint: sketch in both objects lightly. Then darken the closer object.

You don’t have to get into crazy shading to do this assignment, but some shading is a bonus. There are two ways to handle the shading: either assume that the paper is the color of the fog, and darken all shadows down from there accordingly; or assume that the paper is the color of the highlights, and shade the empty spaces down to the level of the fog. (Or work on toned paper, using a dark meduim and a light medium.)

The goal is to make the second object appear to be properly far away, rather than looking like a smaller version of the same object.

******Assignment #9: Atmospheric Perspective From Imagination********

Try assignment #8 again. But this time, draw two characters from your imagination, or two robots, or two dragons, or. . . you get the idea.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    question if i were to do each assignment starting now( sorry i am late since i was too busy with school) can i post me results here? or can i pm them to you?

you said that i can post them here in your first post, but that would be annoying, with me posting late work while you giving me new assignments.

Thanks
    Leonardo DaVinci said that atmospheric perspective happened because as distance increased, there was literally more atmosphere between objects. That's sorta logic-in-motion. There is more air between objects that are further away. Since there is more air, objects further away become tinged by that air. I'm most cases blue, because of the way light travels through the atmosphere.
    Last edited by Beonarri; November 9th, 2006 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks
    Seedling, just noticed you posted the link to the practice forum...thanks and I'll put my stuff there from now on.
    Last edited by Thaelys; November 9th, 2006 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks
    Seedling really cool exercises here !.... I suggest that you put everything in a PDF file And use some images as example... Really thank you for this sharing knowledge

Thanks
    Hi Everyone!

Sishir – Sure, you can post the results of assignments here. You can do them in any order you like, or skip any you don’t care to do. I’m not grading anyone’s work or expecting anyone to use these in any specific manner. They’re just suggested assignments for sketchbook progress.

Ledd – I’ve got my hands full writing this stuff at the moment, but thanks for the suggestion. :-)
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Nice to see this is still going, I should have my thigns up pretty soon.

This stuff is awesoem Seedling, you are a real asset to this community.

Thanks
    Hi

About how much time should i spend on each assignment? This is a 20 minutes pic for assignment nr1..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to crisis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

a lamp

This is a GREAT thread. I'm going to try to do these. Here's mine for task number 1:

Concept Art 101

I want to learn oils, too, and I really liked your idea about a 1 hour study a day. Think I'm going to start doing that.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast