Art: Concept Art 101 - Page 15
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Concept Art 101

hunchback is offline I disagree! PENIS! TACO! CHEWBACCA!
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

k so this is assignment nmber one. i took a pop bottle and turned it into a radioactive spider.
    this is one of the best threads here xD

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's an apple!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is such a wonderful list of assignments.... I did several of #1 so far. They're not the most imaginative additions ever

Sketchbook group: MoHog Stimulus 626elemental

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great thread. I'll definitely have to read through this and give some of the assignments a shot. The Art Direction game sounds fun! :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seedling- Just wanted to say thanks for the incredible amount of work that you've put in to organizing this thread. I've saved all the lessons on my computer and I'll start going through them as my schedule allows. i do have a couple questions for you on the sense of mood in illustration and concept art.

How much of a pieces readablility is dependant on action? I've seen some wonderfully done, highly detailed pieces that look stiff and lifeless, even though they are depicting highly energetic poses, (I don't have a good example to post to illustrate, I'm just kinda hoping you understand)

i've also seen some pieces that seem very basic and almost elementary, but convey an incredible sense of action and tension. (Frazetta comes to mind as an example, though i won't say that any of his work was basic or elementary)

i guess the question boils down to this; if I'm inspiring to be a graphic illustrator, and I want to keep my compositions feeling as 'alive' as possible, do you have any advice that I can use to hinge my studies on to maintain that sense of tension?

Thanks for the wonderful instruction, and sacrifice of time for the sake of our education. I can't begin to describe how useful it's been to me already, and I'm looking forward to getting into the assignments tonight.

Graywoods sketches
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85072
    Check out some tunes for inspiration (my other passion is making music)
    http://www.garageband.com/artist/MicRas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here my steam-punk webcam =D
    'elements of the past and elements of the future, joining together to make something not quite as good as either '

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. I just joined this forum a few days ago and just stumbled upon this thread. I'm going through reading every page seems great.

I am an aspiring concept artist. It is my life goal and I started drawing about a year ago and I just cant put the pencil down, even at work I draw. Like many of you here i guess I really want to draw for a living and hopefully one day I will. Advice and critiquing from piers has got me to where I am now and I really want to get better/good enough to get a job as a concept artist. I look forward to reading through these posts, giving feed-back as well as hopefully receiving it.

This is something I drew over the last few days after work. I have spent about 5-6 hours on it. It is in black and white because I have been told by people I am to novice to draw colour and dont understand the principles enough yet which is fair enough.... Here is my B&W concept drawing Critique away !

My coffee is never strong enough and sleep is always an option

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought I'd give this assignment thing a try, starting with the first one. I am moving tomorrow, just about all of my stuff save for my pc is packed up ready to go, so I chose a fingernail polish bottle for my direct observation object. I decided to turn it into a sorta of WoW draenei sparkly polish bottle. Hopefully I'll be able to spot my mistakes when I get settled, and move on to the next assignment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aquí les dejo un tremendo post completo para aquellos que quieren saber todo sobre arte conceptual, el post esta en ingles, para aquellos que quieran leerlo en spanish tendrán que ir a google translate o sino esperar en lo que consigo a alguien para que trate de hacer una traducción completa en espa~ol, espero que lo disfruten. Sacado de conceptart.org

So you like drawing characters, and monsters, and swords and guns and space-ships. It has come to your attention that there are people who do this professionally for movies, television, and games. You’ve got a sketchbook in your hands, and you are wondering how to get from the sketchbook to the job. What sorts of things should you draw? What sorts of mediums should you learn? Should you draw from photos? From life? From other artist’s work? From imagination?

I can help you with these first steps. My name is Michelle Clay. I work at a company called Turbine, where I make 3D art assets for games, and (more recently) have been working as a designer building game levels. I’m not a concept artist, but I work with concept artists, and for a while in college it was my goal to become a concept artist. I graduated from RISD’s illustration department in 2000. So, I can’t tell you an awful lot about how to get a concept art job once your skills are ready for that, but I can tell you quite a bit about what you need to do to bring your skills up to that level.

This thread is a classroom. I will be posting information and assignments. As far as possible, I will assume that all you have at your disposal are a sketchbook and a pencil, but a few will involve color. The assignments won’t be any particular order. Feel free to skip to the assignments that will help you the most! If you want to participate, feel free to post your results here. Or post your questions or comments. Or, if you are a professional concept artist, feel free to share your knowledge!

For those interested, over in the Employment Discussion forum I have a similar thread on the games industry. The information there is more advanced and specialized, and includes assignments that require 2D and 3D art programs, but some of it is fairly low-tech, too.
    Okay, here we go. . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool.. guess I'd better quit playing guitar and start to draw again!

Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ill do every exercise -> next holidays

E/

@ leggraphics: your pic is really good but you should use a bigger brush for the skin of the belly and the boobs ;]

and cause of the path/ground. scribble with dark and light .. add some stones and little grass whatever !

Last edited by MasterStryke; June 15th, 2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: leggraphics feedback

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really hope you like this new challenge! Best of luck, everyone!

pret auto

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shipyard concept for a HW2 mod. ;D

Here is the recording ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck2ie...e=channel_page

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talros For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the loose gesture for the Tekanako SD class Kiaros Carrier, Enjoy

It is designed to last a long time (hours), enhance fighter/corvette weaponry, speed and health in a surrounding radius, support fighters/corvettes in battle.
    It has 7 rapid sweepers and 8 pulsar cannons, it has 2 production slots (one can produce both fighters and corvettes and the second one can produce Frigates), and it has 10 sub-system slots. This ship was produced when the Tekanako fleet came across ancient Super Dreadnaught technology.

Last edited by Tekanako; August 3rd, 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: more info
    Hey, your standing on my terrestrial planet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is brilliant! I love this! I'm definitely going to take this class. Thanks much! 8D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh damn, I should really take this class, I'ma going to try..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And this is in similarity to Talros's ships

Whala... the Tekanako late 22nd century carrier Capital Ship.
    By mwa!

Hey, your standing on my terrestrial planet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Assignment 1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In colour!

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Im new to CA and this has helped me in so many ways - thanks!

Tom

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello guys!!

oh this is a very useful topic for me!!!! thanks for sharing a lot of information about the concept art!!!

I'm only a beginner in this type of art.... but I would like do draw the characters from a tale, for my final exame at the university (I love to draw realistic, digitally in photoshop and I love this type of art cause you should have a good imagination).

take a look at my sketches and my dragon...the dragon is not ready at all...but what do you think about it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man this is really helpful thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this thread is amazing

"Artists who seek perfection in everything
    are those who don't achieve it in anything"
    ~Eugene De La Croix

Deviantart~♥~ twitter~♥~ Blog ~♥~ IFX ~♥~ Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Then, draw the object from a perspective not used in any of your reference photographs."

I can't grasp this. I have no knowledge of perspective, though. I just don't understand how you can flip something around mentally in '3D space' and draw it differently. Like, I can memorize a subject if I draw it from all angles a ton of times, but I don't think I could do it solely without a really good reference of the angles.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you guys I was wondering if anyone knew of any really accurate anatomy book or at least some good ones to study?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was pretty obvious, is not it? There was even one who said that "no amount of tables and statistics to convince us" progress in Iraq. ROFL, well Senator, do not let the facts on your way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankyou very much for making this thread. It's inspiring and extremely helpful to look through

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the thread topic and lessons! This is my first post attempting to upload artwork. Assignment #1

*crosses fingers*

After scanning the second picture I realized the coffee pot orientation was just silly. Nobody would place the pot onto the hot plate in that orientation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Firstly, sorry about the stupid username, accidently typed in DaFry instead of DanFry....

Anyway,

I am recently just finished by degree in English and Drama - and in doing so I have discovered I have a great passion for writing and wanting to do concept art for games.

I have done Art at A Level and GCSE - loving artists such as HR Giger for example and I love dark fantasy/sci-fi.

I am now taking a year out to start developing my art fundamentals again and getting used to using photoshop to produce digital art.

I am wondering what MA I should do - I ultimately would love to work in the Games Industry as it is something I am deeply passionate about and I have always been a high achieving creative person - not trying to sound arrogant.

I was initially thinking Creative Writing - but my art will not improve for obvious reasons and my writing is constantly being practised because of short-stories etc...

I was thinking an MA in Fine Art or Illustration, or even a Game Design specific MA at a known school, such as Full Sail for example (not sure).

However, I do not know what skills are directly required to be learnt for such things.

For example, if I just focus on digital art and mastering the fundamentals and others such as speedpainting etc. would it benefit me more than trying to learn how to program and use 3ds max/maya (total newbie at those).

My focus is to create art - all types of concept art.
    And potentially to write too.

Just want to pick the brains of an industry professional who has experience. Sorry for the over-enthusiastic wall of text.

Thanks,

Danyal Fryer

PS : VERRRRY sorry for the wall of text again and what books/things do you recommend to learn/practise the fundamentals (such as value, perspective, light/shadow etc...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did the first three assignments (a bit messy sorry about that...)

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 307