Art: Concept Art 101 - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Concept Art 101

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Assignment #1
    I tried something simple, Still need alot of work to get metals done right.
    It was fun to do though. Not too happy with the electric shaver version though.
    Hard to freehand those curves lol.
    Comments and crits welcomed.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PixelFarmer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Assignment#1:
    I think I screwed this one up badly. But when I'm finished with the next few assignments I'll try to do this one again.
    First time trying Photoshop CS2 for painting, guess I'll stick with Painter for now. I have to learn to do texturing in PS.

*edit: Nice one Pixelfarmer. And I admit, perspective curves are hard to do freehand. Really nice concept though. It almost looks like a Formula1 racecar.
    I think I went too far in my concept.

Last edited by spookeydonkey; July 24th, 2007 at 06:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried out one of these excersizes.. not sure what one I read em all and it's really late lol but I turned this object into a cannon =)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Twitch. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow guys, nice work! :-) You know how flattering it is to have people choose to do assignments you’ve dreamed up?

Feel totally free to skip to whatever assignments you feel will help you the most. They aren’t in any particular order.

Quote Originally Posted by CecelyV View Post
    You know, I got a degree in painting, and NONE of my instructors ever let us in on the fact that you can draw something, gesso it, and then paint over it!
    They may not have thought to do such a thing. It’s acrylic matte medium, and in general there aren’t established formal methods to using acrylics the way that there are with oils, so it doesn’t surprise me that this specific approach isn’t widely used. And come to think of it, I started using it as a way to counteract my bad habit of dragging my hand across the pencil lines as I painted, which was rubbing the lines off. People who are less clumsy might not need such a trick. ;-)

PixelFarmer – Nice clean lines and good perspective. I struggle with shiny metal textures myself. :-)

spookeydonkey – What are you talking about; that’s not screwed up or “too far”! :-) The nose of the ship is a little crooked but overall it’s nicely done.

Twitch – hello! Awesome stapler gun. The “stand clear” text is a nice touch. :-) Something that you can try, is when drawing shapes in perspective, draw the other side of the object in as well, lightly, as if the whole object is made of glass.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe. thanks.. I've read this thread over and over in the past few days and I would really like to start taking each lesson step by step and work to better myself. I'm only 16 and have a lot to learn, and I believe that this can really help me do that. thanks for the work in putting this together.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Seedling, I thought the assignment also said that it you had to leave some elements of your original object intact. And I obviously didn't do that. That's why i thought i went too far with it.

Posting assignment#2:

Hope this post won't screw up the layout.

Last edited by spookeydonkey; July 25th, 2007 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay here is what I did in an hour off and on since I was at work...shoosh don't tell.

This was also done on my office scanner so please be nice...haha! In my opinion I only like my hand! I know we were suppose to update the object but I couldn't think of anything cool to change a ugly yellow Dickey's BBQ cup. Let me know what you guys think.

Assignment #1Name:  assignment1.jpg
Views: 1738
Size:  19.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys rock!

Nikki – howdy! Good choice of object: cylinders are both difficult to draw well, and one of those basic shapes that every artist needs to learn how to draw. The tough part in getting the shape correct is getting the top and bottom ellipses correct. Notice how the bottom of your cup isn’t as curved as the top? It should actually be slightly more curved than the top. The hand is an amusing addition, by the way. :-) Don’t worry, I won’t tell on you for drawing at work!

spookydonkey – Haha! I love it. That rotted bit at the side of the mouth takes the cake. Watch out for putting heavy dark lines around the eyes – it makes it look like you’re wearing eyeliner. :-) Overall, something that could help you would be to try drawing faces as if they are broken down into plains in space. That would help sort out some of the funky issues that are occurring – for instance, the skin under the nostril is lighter than the nostril, which makes the nose look squashed inward.

Twitch, you’re welcome. I look forward to seeing more of what you do. :-)

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Seedling, I'll try to incorporate more curve to the cup. so basically make it more deminsional? (spell it wrong I'm sure) Just want to clarify the lingo...not so good with artist talk yet...haha!

I should have done some shadowing on the actual cup now that I look at it and have a fresh mind. I hate when you look at something too long to tend to not see what should have been there in the first place.

Thanks for your comment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    Watch out for putting heavy dark lines around the eyes – it makes it look like you’re wearing eyeliner. :-) Overall, something that could help you would be to try drawing faces as if they are broken down into plains in space. That would help sort out some of the funky issues that are occurring – for instance, the skin under the nostril is lighter than the nostril, which makes the nose look squashed inward.
    Thanks Seedling! I'll keep those tips in mind, they really help! *doing assignment 3 now*
    The lines under my eyes we indeed too much, the ones above are actually (the only thing) that way. My eyelashes are kinda straight and don't curl up as I would like to. Plus I have alot of those lashes so when you look at my eyes at daylight it actually looks like i'm wearing eyeliner! The comment though was more than useful. :-)
    And yeah, I kinda do that a lot, leaving those white spaces white... I need to check my drawings more carefully.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spooky – Cool. :-) Try working on a neutral background. That way the white will only be where you put it.

Nikki – Try drawing more cylindrical objects, and compare the curve of one end to the other when you do. You’ll pick up the art lingo as you go, or you can just do like me and say “thingy”.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seedling - haha! no kidding that's all I seem to be using 'thingy'. I've been having trouble working on assignment #2 since i really don't have a mirror aside from my bathroon to use and not a tall enough chair. I will have to see what I can do about borrowing one that sits up by itself.

Might move onto Assignment #3 to keep moving down the list and practicing.

Thanks for this again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres my attempt at Assignment #1
    Sunglasses and Sunnies based insect

And keys and L.E.D light and what I have dubbed the "L.E.D nosed key snake"

Good job Seedling. I can see these assignments being fun

Keep up the good work

Cheers

Nat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are nice, Nat. Good job with the perspective on the sunglasses and sunglasses-creature, especially.

Nikki – no worries, there’s no rule saying these assignments have to be in order. Heck, I don’t think anyone has tried out the most recent additions yet. If you want to be my guinea pig you could try some of those.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha! no prob seedling...i'll take a crack at it. I think I have photos for Assignment #4 I can post. They are action shots but good. I found them last night. Should have them up by Monday night or so.

I tried doing thumbnails for #3 but it was pretty bad so i think I will sit in the hall way at work this afternoon and draw it up and see what I can do from there. hee hee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lirce - i love the first sketch it made me giggle thinking about those tentacles coming out of my tea cup...haha! They are both very good...you have a better understanding of circles then i do. Great job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are great lirce - keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lirce- nice drawings! I love the felion skecthes.

I checked out your 'clicky' thanks this might just help. Question, are the two cylinders different in lines?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Seedling

sorry for being away for so long
    just wen i was planing to start the cool asighnments
    you posted ( by the way very perfeshinally if i may day )
    i got a job offer so kind of got pulled up with work

how ever looks like im back here now
    so hope to start the asignments soon to
    and join all you guys ( i really like evry ones art here its very nicely done )

any way mean while befor i start the asign ments here are some art peaces i drew a while back
    though you might have some nice ideas or enjoy viewing them

and some quik sketches of some crabs lol

good day all
    Mosh

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mosh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 776 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @Mosh - do you have a sketchbook thread here? If not, you should start one and throw those in. The still-lifes look nice, but it would be awesome if we could get some better pics. Try to shoot them straight on, so the edges of the paper fit right inside your viewfinder on the camera.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dierat

i know the shuts are kind of week
    the reson a took them from the angle is becous wen i took the shut from frunt
    the reflection of the camra flash bounced back and just fuzzed out the entire center part of the art
    any ideas how to avoid that problem ???

o and i didnt know i could open up a sketch book here
    if you could explain to me how to do it i would love opening one up

Good Day all
    Mosh

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 776 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Already sent off a PM ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Assignment #1

I'm new to this thread, I found it insightful and decided to try these assignments out to strength my foundation. I'm interested in pursuing a career as a concept artist in the entertainment industry. The object I drew from observation was a hair clip for women, I know why am I drawing that, I saw it lying around so I drew it. The second image on the bottom is the second part of the assignment, I turned the hair clip into knife with a retractable mini blade. While doing this assignment I learned a lot more about creating form with values. I also learned more about how light effects different surfaces. This is a great thread, I look forward to learning a lot, Thank you Seedling for sharing your experiences with us.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Young1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very very nie work young 1
    cool cocept to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment Mosh, cool avatar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I too am new to this thread... I really loved the idea. Im not so sure mine look very good anymore after seeing the guy above... But Im still learning and very pround of myself...
    I am particularly proud of assignment 2. I wish to get my ears done like that when I have enough money spare.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Nalot
    i think you definatly 100% posetivly should think well of your self
    your art work is really really nice inspeshally wen you think of the fact that your still on the begening of the way in art
    as me to in a sence evry one here is stille trying to learn
    how ever some have had more experiance then others etc ...

i think your doing really really great
    and dont try to Compaer your self to Young1
    cous hes very experianced in still life art and can almost asure you he has viewd many times knifes and practiced the realistic shadow droping befor he turnd the pic in

good day all
    Mosh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wazup Nalot

You shouldn't compare yourself to other artist because we are all on different levels of our talent. You should continue to learn at your own pace. When you worry about not being as good as someone else, u stress yourself out and keep yourself from learning what you need to learn. Practice makes perfect, always draw from life.

Young1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys I know this might not be the exact place to post paints
    but i relized that Seedling posted some acrylic paintings
    so i figured that if seedling who started this furom did then perhaps its ok

any way heres a peace done with oil
    i hope you find it interasting

and a small zoom up

good day all
    Mosh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work Mosh, just starting to play with oil myself.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 304