Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Casting pearls before swine" suddenly takes on a whole new meaning today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL Im guessing you were referring to:

Quote Originally Posted by Primalpate View Post
    I have no time for this i have manga to make and movies to create
    ..and not my name I for one (probably amongst many) cannot describe how much your lessons are helping me THanks! Im going to post assignments 4 and 5 tonight, mainly because they excited me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay i've been doing the first set of assignments i'll scan them in later when I have the scanner handy, done assignment 1 and 2 dunno exactly what to do to start assignment 3. I know I asked for help with scenery but doing all of this the whole way through will probably help me a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Seedling, I was wondering if you've ever worked with sculpture before? I'm taking one of the assignments and I'm making it into a maquette. This'll be my first try, any tips? (If it turns out well enough, I can use it in my portfolio! Yeah, variety! xD)

You can be the best at what you do, but you've never learned everything about anything.

My sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Assignment 1 & 2

Assignment 1 isn't as good as I'd have liked it too be. Number I like. Currently working on number 3 but don't know what too add too it as a fantasy element.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone!

huiloyik – I really should read up on Tolstoy. :-)

Angryswine – glad I can help. :-)

Chizome –I’ve dabbled in plaster, stone, clay, cardboard, cement, wood, paper, silver, found objects, mashed potato, but I’ve never gotten into any of those deeply, and I’ve never made a maquette. I do think the best way to get into 3D is with whatever materials you’ve got on hand. Jump in, make a mess, and play. Expect assignments to take longer in 3D than in 2D. And ask around in the 3D forum. Those guys know oodles and oodles.

SidGunner – Woot! You make a spiffy elf. :-) Ellipses are tricky; the one base of the left lamp looks pretty good. Getting the boring basics like that correct can make or break a drawing. Feel free to skip around, by the way; the assignments aren’t in any particular order. In fact if these were in order, I would put the very last one first.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll give the last set a try when i finish assignment 3. And yes ellipses are quite tricky. I might skip the photography ones out mainly because I don't have a camera .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol-I don't mean to spam or to be off topic-but I think it's funny that you're always promoting this thread everywhere. If there's someone looking for help, you're sure to find seedling pushing her thread onto the helpless there.

Of course, I might do these things too, but that'll be after finals are done(after 2 weeks)

Keep on spreading the knowledge seedling!

Lol, It sucks that I'm asian. I can't help it if I look like a million other people.

My Sketchbook: Critics and Comments would be AWESOME.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69016

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To Chizome: Id try Super Sculpey if you want to make a maquette. I used to occasionally make them to study anatomy and ideas for 3D models using maya or max. Its fun and easy to use, plus you can bake the sculpture in the oven when your finished. Make sure to have a sturdy support thought, the first one I made was my favorite and it slipped forward in the over and melted its face away on the door... It was really sad.

Sorry to post something unrelated to your thread Seedling, but I am so OCD I prolly woulda freaked out if I hadnt suggested sculpey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much, Angryswine. ^^ That's what Randy and Sandy (friends of the family) suggested also, and smellybug's maquette tutorial used Super Sculpey. Now I just have to persuade them to go to Evansville and buy me some. >>;

Seedling- mashed potato??? I've made little volcanoes for the gravy, but that sounds kinda fun. << Edible art!

You can be the best at what you do, but you've never learned everything about anything.

My sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First part of assignment 3 dunno what exactly to add too it possibly a dragon or gargoyles or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Assignment 3 complete not as good as i'd like but strapped for idea's and did that. I sadly never got any of huiloyik idea's before I'd finished it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all. Heres my assignment no 1. My scanner's not too good, so it's lost some quality on the transition to a digital format. The original sketch was of a little model of a cannon. I spent about 15 minutes on it, so not too long. Could someone please tell me how to stick images in the actual post, rather than attach them? The insert image icon doesn't seem to work. Thx.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Assignment 5

Seedlings mention about geeky boredgames like dungeons and dragons for example kinda inspired me to draw this for the base drawing. Its a bugbear. I'm not 100% about the way the body is so if any one has any idea on what to do for that. I also rolled an 18 for what t enhance it as which is Down tech it lol might be hard since bugbers are quite primitive but i guess i could get rid of one or 2 things and make him look more barbarianish and less warrior.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arghh! I hate self portraits! Especially the eyes!

And me all android.

I forgot to say it last time: great thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely first sketch silvaticus , maybe you can add more tone into the second one.

My name is Daniel Paine , I'm 15 years of age , I am a beginner in the forum and I hope you guys can help me our with my sketching and my concept. I am going to follow everything as soon as I get a new sketch book. This sketch was all use by one paticular pencil , a standard pencil that costs about 20pence that I found liying about , I wanted my pure graphite pencils but I cant seem to find them or my actual good sketching pencils, it's not the pencil it's the artist it's not an excuse, C&C plz thanks alot, nice thread for everyone thanks for taking your time doing it.

I'ts suppost to be a zombie.

same thing but u can zoom out

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3...mbieguyjh7.jpg

Last edited by painedadj; May 30th, 2007 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Daniel.

I'm the same as you -15 yrs old, new to the forum, looking to further my drawing and concept abilities. Like the zombie. I did a few recently aswell - it's quite fun, you get to mess around with anatomy Tone Is something I need more practise with - I've been drawing far too lightly for ages, so a fair chunk of my stuff won't scan in right. Thanks for the feedback. Mucho appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah its cool, my scanner is very low I can do good sketches in about 3 hours but Im trying to cut down to an hour or something. Thanks for your comment
    heh actually quite funny I would mind lighten the way I sketch and you want to add more darkness to them chat again friend.

Last edited by painedadj; May 30th, 2007 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pained your from Britain yeah? If there's a WHSmiths near you they sell sketching material including complete graphite penciles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes there is Sid thanks, I always buy my things from there, ok new sketch

Random Girl Sketch--

same pic you can now see it from further away--

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9105/girl3yi4.jpg

It's a bit rough but I can tidy it up, I think I'll do it later , Im gonna start a new sketch I think , yeh Im in desperate need of a sketch book now, my parents are away and I cant be bummed to travel 15 miles to get a sketch book

Lol my scanner is actually decent , it picked up the rubbed out C&C please? LOL.

Hmm when I do get that sketchbook I'll definetly try some of these assignments. And focus alot more than I have in the previous pictures.

Last edited by painedadj; May 30th, 2007 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I ought to try this exercises, and I will when I buy a new sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just use paper for now I am , im doing a self potrait now . Silva post some more work up , I like the first sketch alot

Here's my potrait, c&C plz.

Made in 2 hours and 35 minutes

Last edited by painedadj; May 31st, 2007 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey its seedling! the first person who posted in my sketchbook. You asked for a upside down chair from life... But I still haven't done that yet.. I'll do it and post it here I promise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for this thread.
    I'm trying to become a concept artist and find it frustrating to know what to study first! There are no "concept art" degrees and there is a whole world of stuff out there to learn.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finally got around to assignment #1. It was fun, honestly. I timed myself, I wanted to keep each under 1/2 hour. I ended up at 43 minutes when I had finished both. I went from a normal pair of rusty old tin snips to a steampunk torturer's favorite tool. You decide which is which I forgot to do a shadow on the second one, and the snips were actually bent. I didn't screw up on the perspectives. They were all kinds of messed up, I can get a photo later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Digital Painting Example

Hey guys! Sorry I haven’t been stopping by here. I hope you’re still getting a lot out of this thread even when I play hooky.

I just found an series of tutorial images that I made a few years back to share on wetcanvas.org, back before I figure out that nobody there cared about learning the way you guys do. If you’re new to painting digitally, this is one way to go about it.

One small plastic cow, from observation, over the course of about an hour. Color-wise, I stuck with black and white on a neutral background, right up until the end, at which I used a bit of yellow and a bit of blue. Using just a pair of muted colors can turn a black-and-white image gently into a color image.

Cheers!

Last edited by Seedling; July 10th, 2007 at 12:34 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Acrylic Painting Example

Here’s another demo that I made back when for wetcanvas. Nobody got much out of it over there. Have I mentioned how cool it is that this place is full of people who want to learn? You guys make me so happy. :-)

I’ll be putting up a big thread on acrylics soon that goes more into depth.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Thanks Seedling

Those tutorial images are wonderful. Right now I'm getting myself through The Photoshop and Painter Artist Tablet Book: Creative Techniques in Digital Painting by Cher Threinen-Pendarvis.

You know, I got a degree in painting, and NONE of my instructors ever let us in on the fact that you can draw something, gesso it, and then paint over it! That is too cool. Not to mention, that would keep your paints from getting all gunked up with graphite when you draw on your working surface.
    Thanks for the tips!

Okay, I wanted to post two different drawings I did for assignment #1, but the forum's attachment manager isn't letting me upload--even though I've resized the images to be small enough. Long story short, I turned my bra into hands holding space and time, and then a butterfly person (sort of like thumbelina).
    I'll try uploading again later and editing the images to this post.

Last edited by CecelyV; July 10th, 2007 at 10:09 PM.
    The Only Way Out, Is Through.

Sketchbook Journeys

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 306