GIMP User: is Photoshop worth it?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

GIMP User: is Photoshop worth it?

I've been using the GIMP for some years (on a severely amateur level) to translate pen and ink comics to sharper, web-ready images. I'm working on comic book series now, and want to make the jump to color. (Having no experience whatsoever with computer coloring) No masterpieces of form and beauty, just something to make shilling out 2 bucks for a picture book seem worth it.

Is the GIMP capable of professional looking colors and I just haven't discovered the right technique yet? Or is it time to suck it up and pour my hard-earned lemonade stand money into Photoshop Elements? Is the tablet a necessity for coloring?

Thank you for your eventual answers, and may your loins be fruitful.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Babyfeet.

I've never used Gimp before, but I could assume that it is capable of spitting out professional level colors. The only real question to ask, is what kind of colors are you looking for? A simple high contrast style like that of "cel shading" or anime would be possible to reproduce using even the most rudimentary coloring software. All you really need is a way to seperate your lines from your background.

If you're drawing and coloring a book, I'm assuming you're not going to have time for anything more serious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definatly. i used to use gimp for a while, i loved it. But its blending and opacity and the way it painted was just like using paint that got a hint of photoshop in it.

Photoshop takes colouring to another level. And it kinda makes things easier and more professional

i cant explain it in words (my english is just bad lol) but it doesnt give professional look when painting in GIMP that much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is teh $60 Photoshop Elements enough, or do I need to donate some more blood?

Last edited by babyfeet; November 7th, 2006 at 08:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definately more blood... I havn't used photoshop-elements yet but you should try it out before you invest. I use Ps 7 (200). personally and professionally...havn't got myself around to buying Cs2 yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in case you still havent bought it - photoshop elements is pretty uselss - it came free with my computer and i was very pleased thinking i'd got the real deal. Unfortunately its just a glorified version of paint. Theres a lot of different functions missing.

"Never have I seen a greater, or a more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother" - The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try to find a copy of Photoshop 6 or 7 thats OEM. I bought PS 6 for $50.00, new in the wrapper and never registered. They sell them all the time on EBay.

Registered that copy and bought the CS2 upgrade. So for about $200.00 I got a completely legal, registered copy of PS.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All in all, if you want your work to look proffesional, Photoshop 7 or above is the way to go.

I have the attention span of a...ohh look! Something shiney!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.