Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Hey dude

Nice comic panel, hehe. The rendering of the 'monster' is pretty good, too.

Unfortunately I am a really slow sketcher
    Do you use posemaniac? If not then you should - the 30sec sketching will get you up to speed in no time.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The portraits are getting better.
    The satire piece is great.

Thanks
    Ash888:
    Thanks man!

HunterKiller_:
    Thanks a lot!
    Yeah I know posemanicas, never used the 30 sec sketch function though. I should really give it a try, thanks for reminding!

-----
    Here a little update. Besides the freak on the left its all from books unfortunately.

Thanks
    no big update, it was an idea that I gave up after a while, so I did not finish it, especially those terrible hands which showed me that I should do some hands again... Still I thought it was a nice idea somehow and I wanted to share...

Thanks
    I like the angel you did on the t-shirt. I looked on the site and it has a lot of post 9-11 stuff. Did you happen to make the layout for that site? I think it's niffy.
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    @Pigeonkill:
    Thanks man.
    Yeah I did all the layout and design work for that site - you dont like it?

-----
    Just a small update but a fun one:

Thanks
    Now I got a big update finally. These are concept drawings for a MMPORPG development team that I was part of for a few months until it unfortunately split up for several reasons. Anyway, finally I can show some of my work:

Thanks
    Cool alien design, man.

I was just checking out Sedig's SB and came across some very sound advice given by The Fat Kid (once again) that we could all listen to.
    I hope he doesn't mind me sharing it here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
    I guess I get to start a fight with this post because I'd suggest NOT doing anatomy studies at this point, rather simply learning to understand and relate form through drawing. Learning anatomy before simply learning how to draw is like trying to learn how to do a backflip on a bike before learning how to ride the damn thing. If a complete understanding of anatomy was a criterion for success in drawing, all doctors, nurses, biologists and the like would be master draughtsmen. Such is obviously not the case.

Being able to draw is simply being able to read the surface of something to understand the underlying structure and relate the resulting form of both IN SPACE. All organic things, such as people, are governed by rules of symmetry and relationships,and being able to understand how these forms relate in space is the key. If space is not thought about or engaged, you're depriving yourself of one of the most critical components of drawing. Sculpture is concerned only with form, because space is already present in the third dimension, drawing and painting are reducing thee dimensions onto a flat plane, so striving to understand space and depth is a must.

Therefore, knowing names of processes, bones, muscles, cartilage, tendons, fatty groupings and what not isn't critical. If studying things like that were essential to being able to draw, you'd have to study geology, topography, gross anatomy, architecture, industrial design, and so many sciences that you'd have to spend lifetimes studying before you could draw. Obviously not the case.

The biggest obstacle at this point is developing a critical eye for relationships. As in relationships of form, proportion, value, edges, shapes, and all the other principles and elements of design. Once you've developed that criticality, making judgment calls and understanding anatomy become child's play because they're all interwined in a network of simple relationships.

For instance, a simple rule of thumb for a figure is contrapposto, meaning there's balance achieved through a curve runng through the body. This is pertinent to relationships because in anatomy, one thing is affected by another, as when your hips settle to one side, your shoulders go the opposite direction. Your body constantly has to compensate for the other half, and this relationship of understanding movement is much more useful than understanding how the arm is constructed. This relationship is the basic premise of how your body is arranged, biceps only work in one direction, they pull the forearms to them, whereas triceps pull the forearm downward. Neither muscle works without the other stabilizing it, but only in the exact other direction. That's why while working out with free weights, the lift is supposed be performed slowly in BOTH directions so that all muscle groups involved get a workout.

This is universal of all anatomy and becomes self evident as your eye develops which means there's no struggle with anatomy after the ability to read the surface is developed. Thus draw things and people from life and anatomy has no choice but to reveal its simple nature to you.

~Andrew

Thanks
    u have nice aned creative jobs cool

take care

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 491 Posts
    nice renderings man...you have prodlems with anatomy, perspective and others things...but, if you be drawig more and more- you see progress

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Verehin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Verehin:
    Thanks man, yeah I know, a lot to do thanks for your honest and useful crit. You are also welcome to point out real examples if you like.

destinyapocalypse:
    Thanks dude.

HunterKiller_
    Thanks man. No problem for spamming my book with your quote Honestly, quite interesting thoughts. I actually always thought when I am talking about anatomy studies that its always rather shape and interaction of muscles and such rather than really knowing the muscle names whatsoever. Still I think its important to study such things right next to learning drawing - but of couse you do not have to start with that complicated stuff right away...

-----

so here some more concepts - same race as the ones above:

Thanks

Thanks
    Great updates, your perspective is awesome. and that last character is way cool.I think I like those ships the most . Keep it up and thank for stopping by my s.b.

Thanks
    Keep up the pencils, I use pencils almost entirely great medium
    -jedi

Thanks
    Hey man, I'm not dead ...again...

Seriously, I'm sorry I haven't been around. You certainly have been busy!

Its awesome to see some creative/concept work here. This project you're working on seem spretty sweet, I especially like the 'big brother' design.

I guess I better slap a some general crits on you though:

1. Figures: Try to be more ware of the complex nature of organic forms like limbs, although it's sometimes helpful to think of them as cylinders, squares, trapezoids, etc, to add that extra element of elegance you need to think about the way that these shapes are a gestalt of individual muscles, tendons, bones, etc.

In fact, in the human body, the general tendencies of gesture and form (a stick figure, for example) are more like a central axis that the individual masses and volumes follow *in a meandering path* (think of the concept of Contrapposto, but applied to anatomy as well as to pose).

2. Lines and marks: try to tighten up the placement and form of these, especially when they are in a series or progression (like steps or scales or whatever). I know I'm pretty bad about that too, but I'm really trying to get better, and it makes a significant difference.

Also, curved lines are often, especially for some people, the worst challenge ... it's hard to make them consistant, or symmetrical, and the eye instinctively prefers some curves over others (think of sine waves). You might consider employing more angularity...building curves up out of straight lines (this approach also helps with developing an analytical eye for form).

3. Composition of value (and texture): In several of these concepts you're working on right now, I really feel like the use of texture might be too busy. If everything is ribbed or scaled, nothing stands out.

If you feel like you need to apply a texture to everything anyway, maybe try using more shadow and implied line rather than a hard outline on every detail.

As a matter of planning, you may want to start each of your concept designs with a quick value study, perhaps using a dark gray marker or a pen with wash. This can provide an idea of how the mix of forms and details is taken in *as a whole* by the viewer (the idea of silhouette and composition) which is a big piece of aesthetic and subconscious impact.

And if that all sounds like a lot of hot air, it probably is

Peace man. Keep up the good work.
    sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BludHund For This Useful Post:

Adrian Wilkins is offline well not much I'm 20, I'm a hobbiest and working to be pro some day
    Thanks
    lol wie klein die welt doch ist ich komme aus Warburg 25km von paderborn. ech schickes sketchbook und interessant zu sehen wie du dich steigerst, ich find den letzten post ziemlich nice

Thanks
    Arteater:
    Thanks a lot!

jedininjaman:
    Thanks! Yeah I love pencils as well!

BludHund:
    Hey man, thanks for your loooong post, really appreciated!
    Also your crits are of course welcome!

Yeah as to the complexity of limbs and stuff - I ought to check out some more anatomy stuff soon.
    Got to remember that curved-line issue as well... curved lines are more dangerous than angular ones though

Some of the textures ARE too busy, you are just right about it, need to tone down some of these the next time, it was pretty tempting though to have it somehow more busy.

Your best point is about the value study beforehand. I really should take some more time to try that - if I find the time. But I see what its for.

Thanks for your time dude!

Hygami:
    Moin moin!
    Thanks for checking out my book! Yeah the world is small
    Hope your coming back now and then.

/////////////////////

So here are some more concepts but for a different race now, some are really wonky and off, but they were only quick idea drawings, hope you forgive me

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    Kungfu Panda!!!
    Nice.

I'm gonna critique on your recently industrial designs.
    There are some cool designs going on, but please pay attention to perspective.
    I realize they're quick sketches, but it's good to get in the habit of constructing solid foundations first, because a well build drawing with so-so design is going to look better than a poorly constructed drawing that has good ideas.
    Even small mistakes with simple perspective can break a picture.

This paint-over shows where you went wrong on this environment.
    Basically, always remember to establish your horizon line, then you go ahead and pick your vanishing points. These simple steps take a minute but it is the frame work and will save you from small blunders, not to mention making the picture look good.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your quick idea drawings look good...pretty clean and tight, nice level of detail.

we'll forgive you if you continue to develop them; How about some color model sheets...make like we're your art director, this is the thumbnail stage, next is a more formal 'comprehensive'. could be some sweet portfolio pieces...

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

Thanks
    HunterKiller_
    Hey man, thanks for the overpaint and for your long explainations! Really appreciated.
    I do know it was rough and dirty, but I see your point. Detail counts, and if it looks wrong you can screw your good idea.

BludHund
    Thanks! And also thanks for trying to push me to more development out of this, but I gotta dissappoint you, since I am working on something different right now, and these old sketches do not seem too great to take it to the next level - well not great enough to spend a lot of time on it. I am still not having a wacom yet and doing it in watercolor takes too much time right now
    I still appreciate that you try to push me. I gonna check out your site right now to see if YOU a busy bee then

____
    a small update... guess what: another postcard for just another niece, it feels like I am doing nothing else right now, but work keeps me busy and away from drawing too much unfortunately.

Thanks
    haha beware of becoming the postcard man! (altho i'm sure those help as well )

really surprised to see that mmorpg dump thing of yours, some cool ideas and a neat way to test your current skills in many things.Other's have already given you excellent suggestions on perspective and the such.Mileage counts so just keep going on it.

keep 'em coming!

ciao

Thanks
    Very nice game copncepts, I love also your postcard, great work!

Thanks
    The Gnoll and Dreamworker, thanks guys!

Not really worked that much on my drawing last weeks, only a acrylic painting - from reference though. some perspective issues, but at least for getting the colors right it was a good lesson.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Pascallo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey buddy, nice update. Still life is a good study. Keep it up.

Thanks
    No Wacom...ouch! You really really ought to invest in one, it literally opens up a world of possibilities, even a cheap tablet is indispensable.

Acrylics look real good...have you experimented with guaches? They're cheap and fast-drying, although consistancy can be an issue. Used to be de rigueur for illustrators and designers, a good alternative to markers to make comps or even finals. Also they might be easier to handle than watercolors...but I don't know.

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

Thanks
    Pascallo, If you need a wacom tablet for free. On facebook in a group called "bamboo by wacom" They have monthly contest giving out wacom tablets. I got mine for just reviewing their product from Cory O'Brien, The Bamboo Team. (Granted it took me +4 months to get mine because he forgot or busy)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bamboo...a0a9f718&ref=s
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    DARAF:
    Thanks dude!

BludHund:
    Yeah man, still no wacom Got other new hardware that had a higher priority. But its still on my list.

And yes I did start expericmenting with guaches, but it did not feel as comfortable as watercolor or acrylics... yet. I should give it another try, but I need time and patience for that.

Pigeonkill:
    Thank you man, for that good link. I checked it out and definitely gonna keep an eye on that. Thanks again!

/////////////

Updates:

So whats new? Long time no update and I have not really been that busy - not doing any studies or so.
    But I kept working on becoming mr.postcard as to be seen on the top images.

Additinoally I did took some time to work on some fantasy concept arts. Its for an German Audiobook called "Abseits der Wege". It is really fantastic, if you speak German, you should definitely check it out here:
    http://www.abseitsderwege.info

Then I worked on another Acrylic for my own walls. The reason why its diagonal is because its hanging above the stairway.

Thanks to all of those still checking in here even if it takes me so long for a new update.

Thanks
    Hey man.

Great work on the coffee painting! The coffee surface is well done, the bubbles are nice.
    I think the biggest weak point here is that you've used too much white and it flattens the pictures. White should be reserved for the most intense lights.

Good work on last two paintings. The watercolour piece has quite interesting composition.
    The giant gold fish piece is great, I like it.

Keep it up!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast