Sketchbook: Click Click

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Click Click

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Click Click

I'm just starting a sketchbook, this is what I have so far. Suggestions or comments are appreciated!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drawing of the shoe is really nice--great rendering. While you seem to be able to cartoon well, don't include them in your Ringling portfolio. Especially already existing cartoons.

Try to get some more creative-looking pieces in there. Read through the beginning of the Ringling thread for some good advice. Rblitz7 posted some great stuff in the very post, and if you scroll down far enough on the first page, you should find some advice that I got directly from a Ringling rep. Best of luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ay, thanks for looking saint...and yeah, the first two are the only ones I was considering submitting. What are your thoughts on the self portrait? Don't hold back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the cat, great position and tecnique¡¡

Sorry for my poor english

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks lot, I like your guitar/butt painting. Good stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another I whipped out...

Last edited by Jmark's; November 26th, 2006 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jmark:

Ok a few things. If you want to get into CA, you need to incorporate a lot more figure drawings in your portfolio. Full body. I don't see any of that here. You seem to be focused on close ups and portraits. Take a figure class or just look up figures online. But you definitely need to work from life.

If you're any good at color, you should try to include some of that too. Paintings or digital, as long as you're showing what you know about light and shadow. Right now in your self portraits you keep flattening out your pictures with your shadows, which either means you're not looking for the detail or you just threw in a flat shadow to get it on there. You seem to have a good grasp of eyes, and i always go to them in your self portraits. But the rest of it seems flat, like you don't know where to use shadow instead of line (cheeks for example). But you're on the right track, and your grasp of the face was better than mine when I applied.

The tigger/truck picture throws me off. Conceptually, I don't get it, and the rendering isn't nearly as nice as in your cat and SPs. It's taken on a cartoony quality, instead of being a still life which I'm getting the impression that it was before? I would leave it out of the portfolio, and focus more on life drawings-full body! I can't emphasize that enough. Do gestures of people walking in the park, show you know movement.

Hope that wasn't too winded or harsh. Don't give up though! I'm sure you can get into CA, just do what I said and keep posting, keep getting critiques. They are your best friend!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank's a lot thin mint. And not too harsh at all, those comments are exactly what I need that most people don't like to give. I will definitely be starting on figure drawings next. I was just trying to get some portraits in first. The tigger and truck was a still life, the only thing I changed was the truck's expression. But if you think I should leave it out...so be it. Do you think I should be doing more still life studies in addition to the figure studies? And what program is that, that everyone is using to paint in. I'd like to get my hands on it. Thanks again for the crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmark's
    And what program is that, that everyone is using to paint in. I'd like to get my hands on it
    I would stay away from digital. College reps don't really like to see it as much as they like traditional work. Not to mention, it's pretty hard to work from life at a computer. Do-able, but difficult. Pull out your acrylics or colored pencils if you want to do some color Portfolio work, and leave Photoshop and Painter for your hobby work. For now, at least.

Last edited by thesinfulsaint; November 11th, 2006 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A figure study

Last edited by Jmark's; November 14th, 2006 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I paid to sit in on a figure drawing class today...this one took about 10 to 15 min. The studio had very bad lighting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a new still life...trying to show motion and creativity. RSAD admiss. orders.

Last edited by Jmark's; November 26th, 2006 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is defintiley improving. I think you'll get in. That bottom piece is just the kind of stuff they keep saying they like...so... kudos!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank's saint, for the encouragement. I'm still very interested in seeing your new still life's and the other pieces you said you've finished!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I see you wanted another crit...

You'll have no problem getting into the program. Your rendering is getting much better, but you seriously need to get some better lighting when you take these photos. They're very dark and I'm sure it's losing a lot in the process. Make sure you do it outside on a bright day, or get some good lights to shine directly on it.
    I think the admissions counselors might mean movement as in bodies, figures. You keep doing still life's, inanimate objects in action poses, but you NEED to work on your figures. They're very disproportionate (and I know that was your first class for that, so it's okay), but when I talked to the admissions people about my portfolio, they stressed movement of people. I would suggest getting a book from Borders or Barnes and Noble with some more figures. More and more books out there are using models flying through the air, jumping and what not. That's what you should work on. Even though your still lifes are well rendered, they just look like still lifes put into poses. Nothing is pushed, it's very hard and stale.
    I already said you're doing great, and that you'll have no problem getting in. But it can be pushed further, and you can become so much better. You are still not drawing enough from life. Watching UFC (although fun) isn't life. You need to get outside, draw people walking around, having fun with their kids, etc.
    When drawing the figure, try to think about the entire space around the figure, and how that figures into the lighting, the weight of line. All of your figures have a hard edge around all of them, but that's not what they look like. Don't push on the paper so hard, make the pencil heavy when the area is dark around the edge, and go very lightly when the lighting is hot. You did that in your figure piece with the model holding the ball, do that more.

Here is one of my favorite books for showing movement:
    http://www.amazon.com/Draw-Looney-Tu.../dp/0811850161
    ^^ that one is amazing. That shows flow, movement in poses, while being very loose with the drawing.

My critiques are never well thought out, I just kind of stream-of-consciousness it, so I hope it made sense. Bottom line is keep drawing figures, every day all day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The still life drawings seem to work good for you. Keep on doing tons of figure drawing. You are heading in the right direction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot, once again, thinmint. I agree, my figure studies are out of proportion. I'm going to head out to a park and get to work.

Question; what photos do you mean? I drew the still lifes without a photo reference. Hopefully you don't mean those. The only one I did from photo was the dude holding the ball.

Also, how should I organize my portfolio? How many gesture, how many still lifes, figure, SP?

And I'll pick up a copy of that book, thanks again!!

Last edited by Jmark's; November 27th, 2006 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I say photo I just mean when you take the picture of the drawing itself (when you're putting your portfolio together), make sure it's well lit enough that you can see all the details.
    When I put my portfolio together (which was crap) I put in nearly all figure studies. I was stressed to do that, as it was my strong point when I submitted it. I'll actually find my original portfolio just to show you how crap it was. You should put in the pieces you are most proud of... but you need to organize a portfolio that looks catered to Computer Animation. That's why you need more figures, as that's what we're animating. If you put in too many still life's it will look like you might be better at Illustration, and you don't want that. I was originally wait-listed for CA, and was accepted into Illustration. (My illustrations are still better than my Animations, go figure). So you might want to work your ass off on your figures so you can put a few in. SP's are always good, but you should probably only put in the best one. That last still life is good, maybe put one or two of those in there, but make the majority of it figure drawing (if you're happy with them). Just don't ever put anything into your portfolio that you aren't happy with, only your strongest pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thinmint

ok, by bad, I didn't realize what you meant. I'll try taking them outside. And, that would be awsome, to see the originial portfolio you submitted to ringling.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do this right...do you think I could get in with only pencil work, or is it essential to use other mediums?

Also, when putting in figure work, would ANY of the ones I have suffice? Maybe the guy with the ball? Or the first studio guy? How many gesture studies should I have...one full page of them, all quick scribbles, two? And would you recommend attending another studio session to get some more 15min studies done? Or do I not really need those because they don't show movement? The only way I can think of to capture movement in a figure, and have enough time to render it well, is to draw from a photo.

And one more, would you recommend putting in some of those animation figure movement studies, like preston blair does, to show I understand movement?

Again, sorry for so many questions, and thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely echo earlier posters and say to keep working on the figure drawing. The figures you have posted are very "top heavy" - wide wide wide shoulders and pectorals, and then slimming down to normal proportions below that...but if you keep working at it (both the observing and the drawing), you'll get better and better...best of luck!

www.costumesketch.com
    I looked at yours, now you look at mine...sketchbook here

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there." - Ralph Wiggum

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot madhatter, I'm going to be doing a lot more...those were my first and without instruction.

Last edited by Jmark's; November 27th, 2006 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just another note about the lighting for your photos... I agree with what ThinMint is saying. A very long time ago I suggested that you use colored pencil to brighten up your light values--that was because I thought you were working on tinted paper. Like ThinMint said, take some of your stuff outside to photograph it. That's where you'll get the best lighting. Also, don't be afraid to take multiple pictures of it. You can always make your selection later when you get on the computer.

Your still lifes are definitley coming along--I think you should start working a little in color. Even if you're just using colored pencils, it's nice to show that you know a little color.

And just out of curiosity, where did you start taking figure classes? What kind of organization is that through?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just found a local art college that has an "open" studio session for a small $10 fee. It lasts about 2 hours. The only catch is they don't offer instruction. That's where this forum comes in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo, I put my craptacular portfolio in the Ringling thread. Didn't want to put it in my sketchbook since it's so old. There you go, I've embarrassed myself to the internet world for you! HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, don't be embarrassed, everyone starts somewhere, right? But thank's for doing it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another figure study session today...I'm still trying to loosen up, I think I need to buy some charcoal. All my figures were done with pencil.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.